Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 05-12-2010, 03:20 PM   #1
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Most readable fonts for those with less than perfect vision?

Hi not exactly a Calibre question, but someone might know.

I am over sixty and have a hard time sometimes reading Sony 600 in low light. I crank up the size and this helps but with spacing between paragraphs or even without in large I get about 4-5 ugly lines per page.

This is ok but could be better.I will make a test paragraph of two and format in several fonts/sizes and see what I see best.

I am asking for suggestions as to where to start as there are a lot of fonts out there. Or if anyone knows of a font testing file/program for Sony 600

I can read pbooks fine in low light but the eink and small bit of glare makes it harder.

Thanks for any advice
Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 08:53 PM   #2
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Hi, Helen

I like Charis SIL or Georgia on my PRS-505. I also believe DejaVu is quite popular.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 02:50 AM   #3
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Thanks will try and locate
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 09:47 AM   #4
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
If you have a Windows PC you should find the 4 files of the Georgia family in c:\windows\fonts

Google should locate the other two easily enough.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 03:48 PM   #5
troymc
Groupie
troymc will become famous soon enoughtroymc will become famous soon enoughtroymc will become famous soon enoughtroymc will become famous soon enoughtroymc will become famous soon enoughtroymc will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505 + B&N Nook + Motion LE1700 + Motorola Xoom Wifi
You might be interested in this epub I created.

It shows 14 different common fonts (plus your default & generics).

They're not in any specific order - just kinda paired sans/serif.
Arial
Times New Roman
Verdana
Georgia
DejaVu Sans
DejaVu Serif
Liberation Sans
Liberation Serif
Free Sans
Free Serif
Fontin Sans
Fontin
SIL Andika
SIL GentiumAlt
SIL Ezra
The text is Lorem Impsum + a polytonic greek excerpt + hebrew excerpt. (so don't be surprised if you see lots of missing characters - that's intentional.)

But with the lorem ipsum you should be able to get an idea of what each font looks like on your reader. (Assuming it supports epubs & embedded fonts.)

Troy
Attached Files
File Type: epub unicode_font_display.epub (2.46 MB, 322 views)
troymc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 03:54 PM   #6
edbro
Banned
edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: iPad4
I tried quite a few fonts before settling on Droid. It was developed by Google for the Android mobile. In my opinion, it is the best on my Sony PRS-505.

http://www.fontsquirrel.com/fonts/Droid-Sans

Last edited by edbro; 05-13-2010 at 03:56 PM.
edbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 04:43 PM   #7
pollito pito
i warned you ...
pollito pito doesn't litterpollito pito doesn't litterpollito pito doesn't litter

Device: none
Totally agree with edbro ; favor the san serif Fonts:
Google Droid-Sans or on Microsoft Windows, Calibri.
pollito pito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 05:30 PM   #8
troymc
Groupie
troymc will become famous soon enoughtroymc will become famous soon enoughtroymc will become famous soon enoughtroymc will become famous soon enoughtroymc will become famous soon enoughtroymc will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505 + B&N Nook + Motion LE1700 + Motorola Xoom Wifi
I like Sans-serif fonts for interfaces, menus & such - it seems to be easier to read at a glance. But I still prefer a serif font for reading. I think that's probably another holy-war - sans vs. serif. Maybe it simply depends on what you grew up reading and are most familiar with.

I really like the droid fonts. But somehow while implementing 43,000 glyphs they managed to completely skip the couple hundred polytonic greek & hebrew characters. And since I use polytonic greek constantly, including in some book titles, that makes them a non-starter for me.

I've replaced my 505's default fonts with FreeSans, FreeSerif & FreeMono. They're definitely not the prettiest, but I now have good unicode coverage for titles & authors.

I prefer SIL's GentiumAlt for reading - and particularly for anything requiring polytonic greek.

Troy
troymc is offline   Reply With Quote