Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-18-2010, 02:50 PM   #31
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by TGS View Post
I quite accept that you can't see how anybody would be offended - but I also accept that some people genuinely were offended. There is no contradiction between you not seeing how something can be the case, and it actually being the case.
True - I can't argue with that, well put.

Of course though, I'm right and they're wrong
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 02:50 PM   #32
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
But why should they apologise if the error was completely un-intentional?
Because they caused offence - just like if I unintentionally step on someones foot I apologise - I don't blame them for putting their foot where I wanted to put mine.
TGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 02:54 PM   #33
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
Of course though, I'm right and they're wrong
Well yes, there is that of course
Old 04-18-2010, 02:54 PM   #34
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by TGS View Post
I quite accept that you can't see how anybody would be offended - but I also accept that some people genuinely were offended. There is no contradiction between you not seeing how something can be the case, and it actually being the case.
Yes, but it is also no contradiction that nearlly all the people saying they are offended only pretend to be offended. Group pressure and getting attention are strong factors.

Every book published will offend somebody. So obviously you have to interpret the statements not exactly literally.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 03:46 PM   #35
charleski
Wizard
charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
But why should they apologise if the error was completely un-intentional?
Because they screwed up. If you get distracted while driving and crash into another car you don't get a free-pass by just saying it was an accident.
charleski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 04:13 PM   #36
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by charleski View Post
Because they screwed up. If you get distracted while driving and crash into another car you don't get a free-pass by just saying it was an accident.
It depends on what distracted you.

And even if you are responsible for causing the crash (unintentionally) you do not have to apologize. Your insurance have to pay the damage and if a crime have been committed there can be other consequences but you do not have to apologize.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 04:21 PM   #37
TGS
Country Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
Yes, but it is also no contradiction that nearlly all the people saying they are offended only pretend to be offended.
How on earth would you know that?

How about they apologise to the people who actually were offended - if they offered an apology to anyone who was offended then it clearly wouldn't apply to those who weren't really offended.
Old 04-18-2010, 04:28 PM   #38
charleski
Wizard
charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
It depends on what distracted you.

And even if you are responsible for causing the crash (unintentionally) you do not have to apologize. Your insurance have to pay the damage and if a crime have been committed there can be other consequences but you do not have to apologize.
Ok, so you're saying Sessions should end up paying a fine instead? OK...

Don't be ridiculous. It was a grossly offensive error for which any sane individual would be rushing to apologise. All his attitude has done is inflame a minor situation into something that's hit the news, and that's just stupid.
charleski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 04:41 PM   #39
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
ANYWAY!!!! my POINT was that the flippant attitude of the publisher is an indicator of how they are more than happy to trample all over people and their feelings. once again, a simple civil apology would NOT have made mountains out of molehills. yes, charles, you are correct, it is the attitude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charleski View Post
Ok, so you're saying Sessions should end up paying a fine instead? OK...

Don't be ridiculous. It was a grossly offensive error for which any sane individual would be rushing to apologise. All his attitude has done is inflame a minor situation into something that's hit the news, and that's just stupid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/da...sh_78187.shtml

1 swede, peeled and diced
1 tsp salt
50g/2oz butter
salt and freshly ground black pepper
Method

1. Place the swede in a pan of cold water and sprinkle in 1 tsp of salt.
2. Bring to the boil and reduce the heat to a slow simmer.
3. Cook for 10 to 15 minutes or until tender. Drain the swede and return to the pan.
4. Mash with a potato masher, stir in the butter, salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste, and serve.
Swedes have been a root vegetable a lot longer than there have been arrogant Australian publishers
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 05:38 PM   #40
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Swedes have been a root vegetable a lot longer
Gee, I was gonna say there was a difference between a Swede and a swede, but now I'm confused -
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 05:47 PM   #41
TGS
Country Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pholy View Post
Gee, I was gonna say there was a difference between a Swede and a swede, but now I'm confused -
Whenever I serve them to my (Danish) mother-in-law she reminds me that, as a child, they used to feed them to the cows.
Old 04-18-2010, 07:30 PM   #42
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
Typos always offend me if I paid hard-earned money for a book - just shows the publisher doesn't care about the customer.
I only find a typo in an eBook offensive if that same typo is not in the pBook version as well. That means that eBooks don't get the same level of proofreading that pBooks do.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 08:21 PM   #43
recluse
Banned
recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2
I think we are looking at a no win scenario. The typo is kinda funny, but if one person is offended, the publisher should respond in a mature manner. On the other hand, "freshly ground white people" would just be kinda funny. Any offended parties would be treated like cranky five year olds.
recluse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 09:26 PM   #44
gastan
Addict
gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: LePan II, Kobo Aura
It seems that some people spend most of their life looking for something to be offended by. When you're only looking for the bad, it usually doesn't take much to find it.
gastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 10:51 PM   #45
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie

Seriously, this is beyond a non-issue. The only thing sillier than getting offended by this is acting like a statement by a publisher is an indicator of the character or "true nature" of an entire company.
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote