Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 06-17-2008, 10:50 PM   #1
Carey
Carey began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505SC
Hello from the Road

I am a retired computer programmer and travel the USA in a silver truck pulling a small trailer. Originally from Michigan, I like to return there during the summer and visit with friends. But in winter, I'm off for parts unknown -- especially where it's warm and sunny.

My laptop gives me Internet access, but it's not the best solution for reading books. Originally I had a Rocket eBook reader, and it still has a fond place in my heart. But along came the Sony Reader and I'm just getting acquainted with the PRS-505SC.

Carey
Carey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 11:58 PM   #2
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Hello Carey:

I'm looking forward to the time when I can retire and live in a motor home near full-time. There are so many parts of the USA that I still need to see. In the meantime, hubby and I do a lot of cross-country driving in conjunction with my business trips. Next week we're going to drive from the DFW area to Arkansas and back.

I hope you'll enjoy your Sony Reader as much as I like my Kindle. I love being able to just toss my Kindle into my backpack for business trips instead of putting one paperback in my backpack and 3 more in my suitcase. When we travel in the car, I still pack 10 paperback books into the trunk -- I have such a deep TBR stack that I have to whittle them down bit-by-bit.

Welcome to the MobileRead community. You'll find nice folks here and of course lots of information.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 01:03 PM   #3
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi Carey and welcome to the Forum. I got a 505 back in January and like it a lot. Especially handy for travel.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 04:21 PM   #4
Spartacus2112
Evangelist
Spartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi
Greetings Carey, welcome to the forum!
Spartacus2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 05:31 PM   #5
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Hello Carey, drive safe
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 08:15 PM   #6
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
I still miss my Pleasureway Van. I loved just driving all around the US and meeting people ... seeing things.

I envy you soooooo much.

and Welcome!!
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 06:05 PM   #7
Carey

Thanks everyone for your kind welcome. I suppose at some point I'll have to write about my travel adventures and create a mini-book to share with all my ebook friends. There is a whole 'nother world out there besides television and reading (and writing) is one way to experience it.

True confession: I have discovered some amazing things among young adult books. First was the Harry Potter series. Then along came The Golden Compass trilogy and that *really* tripped me out. Of course, the movie barely got into the story but I did enjoy the wonderful effects it included. It seemed that the book covered basic mysteries of life that young people are curious about. The book got me thinking about death and what happens when we die. It makes me wonder if anyone ever got so curious about death that they "died of curiosity"?

Other than that, I've been interested in historical fiction. Some of the authors are amazingly good writers.

-Carey
Old 06-20-2008, 06:28 PM   #8
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey View Post
Thanks everyone for your kind welcome. I suppose at some point I'll have to write about my travel adventures and create a mini-book to share with all my ebook friends. There is a whole 'nother world out there besides television and reading (and writing) is one way to experience it.

True confession: I have discovered some amazing things among young adult books. First was the Harry Potter series. Then along came The Golden Compass trilogy and that *really* tripped me out. Of course, the movie barely got into the story but I did enjoy the wonderful effects it included. It seemed that the book covered basic mysteries of life that young people are curious about. The book got me thinking about death and what happens when we die. It makes me wonder if anyone ever got so curious about death that they "died of curiosity"?

Other than that, I've been interested in historical fiction. Some of the authors are amazingly good writers.

-Carey
I just purchased that trilogy for my Kindle. However, my Kindle is currently on loan to a neighbor (and she is LOVING IT), so I haven't started reading them yet. Loved the Harry Potter books as well.

Also a fan of historical fiction, science fiction, true crime and lots of other genres. Books is (are?) my "crack."
Old 06-22-2008, 12:50 AM   #9
Carey

Ricky, I'm sure you'll really love it. Assuming, of course, that your imagination will allow you to travel to alternate universes where the rules can be slightly different . . .

For too many years my reading was all technical: computer and technical trade journals and stuff too boring to even think about. For two years after retiring, I hung out at the local Border's Bookstore and managed to read a book every other day (putting a magazine post card in to save my place).

This particular store had a coffee shop (Seattle's Best) and comfy chairs to sit in. Every morning I had coffee and proceeded to read. It was a great way to catch up on my recreational reading. And while I did occasionally buy a book or CD, mostly it was coffee that I purchased. There were other "regulars", but none who read so feverishly as I did, having been awakened from a long sleep.

Cheers, Carey
Old 06-22-2008, 08:33 AM   #10
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

-Carey
Carey, if you like historical fiction, you might try the Flashman series. Hilariously funny while extraordinarily accurate at the same time. My favorites are 'Flashman at the Charge' and 'Flashman and the Indians' although I like them all.
Old 06-22-2008, 12:25 PM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Agreed - they are very, very funny books. I believe the "Indians" one is called "Flashman and the Redskins", but that's just from memory, so I could be wrong.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 02:06 PM   #12
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Welcome Carey. I visited Michigan once in the winter. Walked a mile out on Lake Michigan. (Who said I couldn't walk on water?) Later I saw the measure of record snow fall in the upper peninsula (on that finger that sticks out into Lake Superior. For the life of me, I can't imagine why you don't want to winter there.

My retirement is just a few months away. Unlike others here, I want to consider a trip across town to be a long journey. Been there, done that enough. Now I just want my creature comforts.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 03:28 PM   #13
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!

Quote:
Ricky, I'm sure you'll really love it. Assuming, of course, that your imagination will allow you to travel to alternate universes where the rules can be slightly different . . .

For too many years my reading was all technical: computer and technical trade journals and stuff too boring to even think about. For two years after retiring, I hung out at the local Border's Bookstore and managed to read a book every other day (putting a magazine post card in to save my place).

This particular store had a coffee shop (Seattle's Best) and comfy chairs to sit in. Every morning I had coffee and proceeded to read. It was a great way to catch up on my recreational reading. And while I did occasionally buy a book or CD, mostly it was coffee that I purchased. There were other "regulars", but none who read so feverishly as I did, having been awakened from a long sleep.

Cheers, Carey
Oh, my imagination takes me all sorts of places. I know I will love it. The one thing I miss about working in a laboratory was that I could read inbetween setting up experiments or preparing reagents.

Once I became a lawyer ... well, you are either reading some of the most boring stuff in the world, or you are writing some of the most boring stuff in the world ... and you can't "read for fun" while you work.

I read seasonally. During periods when everything on the tube is reruns, I just turn it off and pick up a book. I'll read for several months, and then when the new season comes around, I'll read less and watch more.

I suspect I'll be getting my Kindle back today. I think Mrs. Moon will have finished the books she wanted to read. When I visited her yesterday, she was really enjoying herself with it.
Old 06-22-2008, 03:58 PM   #14
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Agreed - they are very, very funny books. I believe the "Indians" one is called "Flashman and the Redskins", but that's just from memory, so I could be wrong.
You are correct. It is 'Flashman and the Redskins'. Anyway, they are all hilarious books
Old 06-22-2008, 05:32 PM   #15
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyMaveety View Post
I read seasonally. During periods when everything on the tube is reruns, I just turn it off and pick up a book. I'll read for several months, and then when the new season comes around, I'll read less and watch more.
As I am cataloging my books on LibraryThing I am remembering that I used to read several books a week. I wondered why I didn't read as much now. I think there are two things that are the cause...

1. The internet. Yes, I spend alot more time on forums and other web sites.

2. HD tv and TiVo... yes, I like me some TV. I know I watch alot of it. Is it too much? If I canceled my cable TV service and sold my TV I would have alot more times and money for books. Hmmm....

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote