Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 10-11-2019, 06:56 AM   #1
deedward9
Enthusiast
deedward9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deedward9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deedward9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deedward9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deedward9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deedward9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deedward9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deedward9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deedward9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deedward9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deedward9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova 2, Kobo Clara, Nook Glowlight Plus, Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4
Font darkness on Nook Glowlight Plus

I am currently reading Horrorstor on my Glowlight Plus. It seems like the text flont is lighter/more faint than it should be.

With page turns the font darkens to what I feel like should be the correct darkness just before the page turn.

I have tried embolden the font, but that doesn't seem to help at all.

Is this only in my head. For the record it's a Nook book, not a sideloaded book.

Thanks,

Devin
deedward9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 06:59 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by deedward9 View Post
I am currently reading Horrorstor on my Glowlight Plus. It seems like the text flont is lighter/more faint than it should be.

With page turns the font darkens to what I feel like should be the correct darkness just before the page turn.

Is this only in my head. For the record it's a Nook book, not a sideloaded book.

Thanks,

Devin
Maybe it's an embedded font. Most embedded fonts in eBooks are no good for eInk screens as they are too light (not enough weight).
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-11-2019, 07:12 AM   #3
cgsmom
Addict
cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook GL4+, Nook GL4e, Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle PW4, iPhone 14
You are right. I think it has something to do with the way the book is formatted. I have noticed that graphics, table of contents entries, and dictionary definitions appear grayed out on the new Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8. It is annoying but I can live with it.

However, I downloaded a sample of Horrorstor and the entire book appears grayed out on the Nook but is fine on my iPad. Not sure how you could fix that. I would suggest calling Barnes and Noble, but that would probably be useless.
cgsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 10:36 AM   #4
deedward9
Enthusiast
deedward9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deedward9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deedward9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deedward9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deedward9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deedward9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deedward9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deedward9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deedward9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deedward9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deedward9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova 2, Kobo Clara, Nook Glowlight Plus, Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4
Thanks for everyone's thoughts. I tried changing the font in the book but it doesn't change the display at all. If I make the font thicker it helps, but still isn't as dark as I'm used to seeing.

I really appreciate everyone's help.
deedward9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 12:23 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The solution to prevent this same problem is to stop buying eBooks from B&N. Buy your ePub from Kobo and you can strip the DRM (if needed) and then you can strip any embedded fonts.

You should install Calibre and then install the plugin. You can get the plugin at the following URL and also ask there on the blog for any help.

https://apprenticealf.wordpress.com/
Advert
Old 10-14-2019, 11:07 AM   #6
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by deedward9 View Post

Thanks,

Devin
I have Horrorstor myself (though I haven't read it yet). I think the format of the book is part of the problem.

I purchased my copy of Amazon and will be reading it on both my Kobo and my Glowlight Plus (2015). I'll start it after I finish my current book and report back on whether the font looks washed out.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 06:04 PM   #7
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I started Horrorstor. The early pages (copyright and so forth) were greyed out. But the actual writing is normal. This is on my Kobo. Haven't checked with Nook yet.
Old 10-15-2019, 06:48 PM   #8
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
I looked at the code of the epub sample. The book has an embedded font-family and font-color on both body and paragraph level. There's no other way to change those than to strip the DRM, open the epub with Sigil or Calibre editor and delete them there.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 06:52 PM   #9
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I started Horrorstor. The early pages (copyright and so forth) were greyed out. But the actual writing is normal. This is on my Kobo. Haven't checked with Nook yet.
The Amazon sample doesn't have the hard-coded font-family and color that the epub sample has.
Old 10-15-2019, 09:49 PM   #10
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
I looked at the code of the epub sample. The book has an embedded font-family and font-color on both body and paragraph level.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
The Amazon sample doesn't have the hard-coded font-family and color that the epub sample has.
I see what you mean. The letters on the Nook book are blue. I believe that's closer to the paper book, but it's not doing the ereader any favors.

Question: would changing the font resolve the problem?
Old 10-15-2019, 10:00 PM   #11
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I see what you mean. The letters on the Nook book are blue. I believe that's closer to the paper book, but it's not doing the ereader any favors.

Question: would changing the font resolve the problem?
As the font was embedded on the paragraph level, not just the body (a really bad decision by the publisher), then it won't probably be possible to change the font at all. The OP wrote that he tried, but no change.
Old 10-16-2019, 09:32 AM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I had a look at the code of Horrorstor and yes, it does use colors. It looks OK on a color screen. Not so much on eInk.