Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-20-2019, 07:07 AM   #16
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
We've used WU a few times in past years when our daughter lived out of state and before she had a PayPal Account. The Rite Aid Store that is a block away offers it.

We only use our debit card to get cash from the bank. We don't use them at any POS terminals anymore. We have the same protections as a credit card, but it can tie up the account if there is a problem. I don't even have PayPal attached to our main checking account.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 08:21 AM   #17
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara1955 View Post
How will Amazon handle Refunds? I betting there a Whole Lot of fees to get a Refund thru Western Union!
From the Amazon PayCode Frequently Asked Questions:

Quote:
10) How do I return items and get a refund?
If you would like to return your item visit My Orders on Amazon.com and click Return Items. Enter the reason for the return and select Refund through Amazon PayCode. Once we receive your returned item, a refund code will be issued to you. You can visit a Western Union agent location, show the code along with your photo ID, and collect your refund. If you do not collect your refund within six months we will issue the refund to your Amazon Gift Card balance.
jhowell is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-20-2019, 08:56 AM   #18
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
I fail to see any advantages for using PayCode or Amz Cash when gift cards are easier to get and use.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 11:45 AM   #19
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
jhowell Good to know for big ticket items.
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 12:09 PM   #20
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I fail to see any advantages for using PayCode or Amz Cash when gift cards are easier to get and use.
Gift cards are for fixed amounts.
This is for arbitrary sums...to the penny.
No residuals.

It exists, it will be used.
Different strokes and all that.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-20-2019, 01:33 PM   #21
crane3
Guru
crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Fire hdx 8.9, Tab S2, Tab S5e, Aura ONE
Possible to be expanded to compete with PayPal.

I've purchased stuff from vendors where there web page asked if I wanted to pay using an Amazon account!
crane3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 01:28 PM   #22
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
I found the old Electric Bill I Paid 2 years ago with WU Bill was for $80 the WU Charges were $1.50 .... just saying there ARE Charges may Not be extras but WU Does charge.
BTW on my Next electric bill I was Charged $3 extra for WU billed the Electric co.

Last edited by Barbara1955; 09-21-2019 at 01:32 PM.
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 08:22 PM   #23
binaryhermit
Grand Sorcerer
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
I'm guessing that in this case Amazon eats the fees.
It's not like the store pays Amazon $50 when you buy a $50 Amazon gift card in-store.
And I suspect, but don't know for sure, you can get an amazon gift card in an arbitrary amount at some stores.

Source: I bag groceries for a living at a grocery store that sells (some) gift cards in arbitrary amounts,
binaryhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 08:25 PM   #24
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Why not use Gold? William Devane would be so disappointed!

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 09:28 PM   #25
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryhermit View Post
I'm guessing that in this case Amazon eats the fees.
It's not like the store pays Amazon $50 when you buy a $50 Amazon gift card in-store.
And I suspect, but don't know for sure, you can get an amazon gift card in an arbitrary amount at some stores.

Source: I bag groceries for a living at a grocery store that sells (some) gift cards in arbitrary amounts,
$37.50?
The Amazon ones I see in the pharmacies are pre-marked for $25, $50, etc.

The single use and rechargeable credit cards, though, come both ways. You fill the arbitrary ones at the cashier.
Old 09-21-2019, 10:35 PM   #26
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
I think its dumb. You can use your bank card. No different than using cash
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 11:48 PM   #27
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by HLS View Post
Around these parts, cash transactions are still close to 25% of the total number of transactions but the transaction value of cash is ~1% of the total transaction dollar amount. The only cash transaction I've done in the last month was purchasing a couple of $1 ice cream cones at McDonald's for a great-niece and great-nephew when we went for a walk while their family was visiting.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 11:49 PM   #28
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLS View Post
If you have one.
Lots of people don't. Literally millions.
Credit or debit.

Nobody says everybody has to use cash (or card), but having both means everybody can shop at Amazon who wants to. And that's why they're in business: to sell stuff to people.
They want everybody's money.
Old 09-22-2019, 07:01 AM   #29
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Around these parts, cash transactions are still close to 25% of the total number of transactions but the transaction value of cash is ~1% of the total transaction dollar amount. The only cash transaction I've done in the last month was purchasing a couple of $1 ice cream cones at McDonald's for a great-niece and great-nephew when we went for a walk while their family was visiting.
I grew up before ATM's and everyone having credit cards. I'm in the habit of paying cash for anything that isn't online and isn't over a couple of hundred dollars. Several years ago, when a group of us would go out for lunch at work, we would occasionally go to a little hamburger place that didn't accept credit cards. I would frequently have to pick up the tab because I was the only person who had cash.

On the other hand, some stores no longer accept cash. It can be pretty tough getting by in some areas without a credit card.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 07:50 AM   #30
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I don't use much cash myself these days, but I have no issue with those who prefer it. It IS still perfectly legal tender, after all. As such, I think physical businesses should be legally required to accept it. And I think there should be multiple, simple ways for people who prefer cash to be able to fund online accounts with it (with no credit/debit card required to open accounts).

When cash isn't legal tender any more; then, and only then, should we poo-poo the notion that people might still want to pay for stuff with it.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote