Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-16-2019, 08:23 PM   #16
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Like many here, I also have a number of bookcases filled with books (hardbacks downstairs, paperbacks upstairs). I mean, one has to have something in the bookcases to keep the cats from knocking them over!

I also have a number of bookcases filled with my DVD collection, but those get used on a regular basis.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 08:26 PM   #17
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
I also have a number of bookcases filled with my DVD collection, but those get used on a regular basis.
In a curious coincidence, I discovered last night that my PC's DVD/BR drive is dead, so now I have to find a way to digitise THAT sizable set of physical media, which, like yours is in a bookcase.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-17-2019, 06:09 AM   #18
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
In a curious coincidence, I discovered last night that my PC's DVD/BR drive is dead, so now I have to find a way to digitise THAT sizable set of physical media, which, like yours is in a bookcase.
From the person who just added 5 (to the existing 3) Ikea CD/DVD shelf units
Unless you have a Laptop (or your desktop had an very low profile DVD drawer type), these are fairly cheap and easy to swap out. Specially if matching the case color is not an issue.
You also have the USB External (with power brick: My recommendation) DVD/BR . It gets even cheaper if you don't need BluRay function
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 06:25 AM   #19
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
From the person who just added 5 (to the existing 3) Ikea CD/DVD shelf units
Unless you have a Laptop (or your desktop had an very low profile DVD drawer type), these are fairly cheap and easy to swap out. Specially if matching the case color is not an issue.
You also have the USB External (with power brick: My recommendation) DVD/BR . It gets even cheaper if you don't need BluRay function
Thanks. I think I might go external, for convenience sake
Old 09-17-2019, 06:34 AM   #20
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
I don't need no stinking Dust Collectors! Nope No books in this house. Last move we made was SOOOO Easy!
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-17-2019, 08:16 AM   #21
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
^ As my good buddy Cicero said to me the other day,

“A room without books is like a body without a soul.”
― Marcus Tullius Cicero

And ol' Borges piped in with this (it's so hard to keep him quiet):

“I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of library.”
― Jorge Luis Borges

Give me 'stinking' books any day, for we have miles to travel...and much to say.

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 09-17-2019 at 08:19 AM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 08:24 AM   #22
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
I would always want some books, in case of emergency.

I mean, I'm not sure what kind of emergency would leave me unable to read ebooks but would not be so serious that food and water were more urgent considerations, but you never know.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 08:42 AM   #23
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thanks. I think I might go external, for convenience sake
I use an external Blu-Ray disc reader attached to my computer for such things. They are fairly inexpensive these days. For viewing, I actually prefer to use a 4K/Blu-Ray disc reader hooked up to my TV rather than digitize movies. I went though the digitization phase for a while, but the ripping process doesn't support up-scaling DVD's.
Old 09-17-2019, 08:56 AM   #24
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante

Quote:
I went though the digitization phase for a while, but the ripping process doesn't support up-scaling DVD's.
We may be moving to another country early next year, and if we do, we will not be taking TVs with us. So I'm happy with a format that's nice and portable, something to watch on my tablet on the flights, and on a laptop when we get there. Also, most of the DVDs I have are of Hindi movies from the 50s and 60s, so upscaling is veering into "lipstick on a pig" territory

Last edited by Uncle Robin; 09-17-2019 at 08:58 AM.
Old 09-17-2019, 09:22 AM   #25
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNefario View Post

I mean, I'm not sure what kind of emergency would leave me unable to read ebooks but would not be so serious that food and water were more urgent considerations, but you never know.
Dropping your ereader? That's why I'd stock a few books in a holiday house.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 09:39 AM   #26
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
Dropping your ereader? That's why I'd stock a few books in a holiday house.
I'd have to drop my phone, my ipad, my Kindle Fire Tab, my Walmart tablet....all my old phone sitting in drawers.

leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 10:57 AM   #27
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Quote:
I use an external Blu-Ray disc reader attached to my computer for such things. They are fairly inexpensive these days. For viewing, I actually prefer to use a 4K/Blu-Ray disc reader hooked up to my TV rather than digitize movies. I went though the digitization phase for a while, but the ripping process doesn't support up-scaling DVD's.
I have someone else who provides the ripping process for me for DVDs and blue-rays. This is more a physical problem than convenience as my brother can no longer hold disks and I damaged 3 disks last year just trying to place them in the DVD player because of vision distortion. So, lifetime Plex membership. Still have the DVD/Blu-rays though.

Last edited by Tarana; 09-17-2019 at 11:10 PM. Reason: Repeated word
Tarana is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 11:02 AM   #28
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNefario View Post

That's why I tried to get my Mom to keep 12 p-books. She doesn't charge her Kindle as often as she should and the last emergency, she went 10 hours at the ER with nothing to read because her ereader had no charge (her own fault). I have now added her ereader to my charging schedule (I have 15 ereaders - had to have back up ereaders!), although this is an issue that only occurs when I'm away from home a week or two. Otherwise, I'm the one who schleps him to the ER.
Tarana is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 11:03 AM   #29
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
We may be moving to another country early next year, and if we do, we will not be taking TVs with us. So I'm happy with a format that's nice and portable, something to watch on my tablet on the flights, and on a laptop when we get there. Also, most of the DVDs I have are of Hindi movies from the 50s and 60s, so upscaling is veering into "lipstick on a pig" territory
but, but, but, don't you want the absolute best quality lipstick for your pig?
Old 09-17-2019, 11:11 AM   #30
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
I have someone else who provides the ripping process for me for DVDs and blue-rays. This is more a physical problem than convenience as my brother can no longer hold disks and I damaged 3 disks last year just trying to place them in the DVD player because because of vision distortion. So, lifetime Plex membership. Still have the DVD/Blu-rays though.
For the most part, I've bought digital downloads of most of the movies that I really want to watch and are available. Not that much different than music. I have some music that I've owned as a record, a cd and a mp3. Heck, I even have one favored album that I've owned as a record, an 8 track, a cd and a mp3. For movies, I have favorite movies I've owned as a VHS, DVD, Blu-Ray and digital download. Same for books. Not really so much to support the artist as it is to have the work in a format that is convenient for me.