Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-06-2019, 12:03 AM   #16
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by petercreasey View Post
I'm a big fan of the KA1 for myself, but here's my question.

As an upgrade gift for a lady still using a Sony PRS T1 6", which would be the best choice? -- 7" Libra or 8" Forma or 7.8" Aura One.
Ask her; or surprise her, with a receipt handy for exchange. I'm pretty sure gender identity plays little or no role in ereader preference or needs.

Last edited by meeera; 09-06-2019 at 12:12 AM.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 12:10 AM   #17
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
How is a persons sex have anything to do with it. an ereader is an ereader
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-06-2019, 12:25 AM   #18
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
Ask her; or surprise her, with a receipt handy for exchange. I'm pretty sure gender identity plays little or no role in ereader preference or needs.
Having previously sold a different ereader the only time gender ever really played a minor role was color of the product. Women tended to prefer white while men preferred black. But even this was too far from a 100% to make it statistically relevant for anyone but a salesperson who gets asked “which color should I get my wife/girlfriend/husband/brother multiple times a day and they can’t just say ‘get either!’ And this is with otherwise identical products, not with three different products with different features.

The only person who knows what this woman wants in an ereader is her. Everything anyone else says is speculation colored by personal bias. Especially since none of us know anything about her other than her current ereader. Which is also not a great indication since we don’t know if she wants a bigger screen or not or if she likes buttons or prefers to slide/tap.

It’s like asking what kind of candy should I give someone who’s eating lifesavers. Except here if the crowd gets it wrong it costs significantly more than candy and is harder to return to the store.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 12:44 AM   #19
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
Having previously sold a different ereader the only time gender ever really played a minor role was color of the product. Women tended to prefer white while men preferred black. But even this was too far from a 100% to make it statistically relevant for anyone [...]

The only person who knows what this woman wants in an ereader is her. Everything anyone else says is speculation colored by personal bias.
Yes, if I were speaking from personal bias I'd say "whatever you do, don't get her the white one!"
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 10:24 AM   #20
petercreasey
Wizard
petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony: PRS 950 & T1, Kobo: Aura One & Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
Has she seen your reader and expressed interest in any of its features or size? That might be a good place to start. If she looks at your reader and says "wow, I wish I had one like that" then you'll know!
The Sony PRS T1 is such a good device and she's not inclined explore alternatives so as to realize the advantages of newer ereaders. I just hope her Sony doesn't die before the time is right for the gifting.

Based on the good input here so far, I've ruled out the KA1 as she will probably like to have the buttons available on the other two.

Still uncertain about which size to get her.
petercreasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-06-2019, 10:50 AM   #21
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
The Sony PRS T1 is such a good device and she's not inclined explore alternatives so as to realize the advantages of newer ereaders. I just hope her Sony doesn't die before the time is right for the gifting.

Based on the good input here so far, I've ruled out the KA1 as she will probably like to have the buttons available on the other two.

Still uncertain about which size to get her.
I think you need to find a way to ask her about the size. It may be important to her or she may not care at all as long as she has something to read on - no one knows but her!

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
Yes, if I were speaking from personal bias I'd say "whatever you do, don't get her the white one!"
I remember back when I was doing research before buying my first ereader there were some people who took the black/white issue seriously as they believed the color contrast (or lack thereof) with the screen made a difference in their reading experience. Personally, I avoided white because I figured it would end up looking dirty.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 04:46 PM   #22
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
M, except that it is to be a surprise, wrapped gift so I can't get an opinion in advance.

That makes it tougher. As a lady myself, and a big time reader, I'd prefer to have exactly what I wanted in a reader rather than a surprise that may or may not fill the bill. Just saying....

Everyone's so different, so you'll have to look at things like what she likes about her current reader, like size or buttons or weight. Some women prefer smaller sizes, others, such as myself, prefer larger. Part of that is my eyes, but part is because I can fit more text on a page, which is something I liked before my eyes got difficult. In the era of 6" readers, I had a Sony 950.

The other option is to be sure that you can return or exchange whatever you get, in case you guess wrong.

I personally love flush screens, they tend to collect less dust and are easier to clean, so if your lady is a neatnik, that also might be a consideration.

Otherwise, all the options you are considering are nice, so with luck, you'll make her very happy however you go.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 04:50 PM   #23
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I think you need to find a way to ask her about the size. It may be important to her or she may not care at all as long as she has something to read on - no one knows but her!

I remember back when I was doing research before buying my first ereader there were some people who took the black/white issue seriously as they believed the color contrast (or lack thereof) with the screen made a difference in their reading experience. Personally, I avoided white because I figured it would end up looking dirty.

FWIW, I still have a white Sony T2, it remains very white and clean looking, as did my T1 which I recently sold.

Old 09-06-2019, 05:01 PM   #24
graycyn
Wizard

Your advice? Libra, Forma, or KA1 for lady

Oh, and there is another option, one that will really impress! Get BOTH the Libra and Forma, tell her you wanted to be sure she has something she loves, let her choose between them, return the reject.

Because it's rarely an error to go the extra mile to please us! As long as you can afford the up front cost.

This approach does carry a slight risk she'd like both, one to carry with her around town and larger for home....

Old 09-06-2019, 06:43 PM   #25
Polarpenguin
Groupie
Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, Sony PRS- T3S, Kobo aura H2O Kobo aura One Kobo libra
Quote:
Given you now are happy with the size of the KA1, why might you opt for the smaller 7" Libra rather than the larger Forma?
Having had a look at the Forma I wasn't all that sold on the look of it. However, the smaller form factor of the Libra looks better to my eye. I will wait until I can get my hands on one to make the decision. Screen size wasn't really a factor of upgrading to the KA1, I just wanted a shiny new ereader!!!
Polarpenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 09:07 PM   #26
petercreasey
Wizard
petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polarpenguin View Post
I will wait until I can get my hands on one to make the decision.
Please let us know what you decide.

Thanks.
Old 09-06-2019, 09:08 PM   #27
petercreasey
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by graycyn View Post
Get BOTH the Libra and Forma
That goes against the grain with me. Seems unfair to the purveyor.
Old 09-06-2019, 10:53 PM   #28
graycyn
Wizard

Quote:
That goes against the grain with me. Seems unfair to the purveyor.

I understand. Just offered it as a possible solution. And sometimes, hands on makes for an easier decision.

Old 09-06-2019, 11:23 PM   #29
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Maybe sometime when she's reading on the Sony you could say something like "how do you manage to read on such a small screen" and see what response you get. If she says something like "I love this Sony because it's small and easy to carry everywhere I go" or "This Sony is really too small, but it was all I could get at the time, and I wish it were bigger" then you'll have an answer
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 11:56 PM   #30
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Maybe sometime when she's reading on the Sony you could say something like "how do you manage to read on such a small screen" and see what response you get. If she says something like "I love this Sony because it's small and easy to carry everywhere I go" or "This Sony is really too small, but it was all I could get at the time, and I wish it were bigger" then you'll have an answer
Or put a book she want to read on the Aura ONE and lend it to her. But, be prepared for an unwillingness to return the device. You don't say what you relationship with the lady is, but, a few of us here have experienced this problem with our significant other.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote