Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-08-2019, 09:31 AM   #46
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
Actually you can't fairly rate Android devices if your experience is limited to cheap and under powered ones. Especially if you try to imagine how a mid range Android phone should work based on how your cheap Android tablet works. If you go all the way up to iPhone money on a high end Android phone, the gap in experience will be even bigger.
You’ve misunderstood. At the beginning I mentioned the need for having personal experience.....differing only in that I think concluding “Android sucks, I hate it”...might well be a fair and valid opinion. Same for “iOS sucks” if you actually have experienced it.

The reason -I- wouldn’t pay “iPhone money” for Android is because I KNOW that the “why I spend iPhone money for iPhones” doesn’t apply to Androids. An individual Android phone can be fantastic. But I have a Mac, an iPad, iPhone, Apple TV, AirPods, HomePod and the Apple services that all work so seamlessly together. Along with an Apple store 15min away and the Apple support....the entire ecosystem experiences drives my willingness to pay the Apple prices.
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 10:06 AM   #47
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2018 iPad Pro 12.9", KO2, Paperwhite 2019
Sometimes the overthinking that takes place here makes my head spin.

I admit to not having recent first hand experience with Android devices. At this point, we are firmly ensconced in the world of iOS, as far as our phones and tablets go. My husband also struggled using android tablets, and from the first use was much happier with an iPad.

The last Fire tablet I used regularly was the 2015 Fire HD 10". It was a pain in the rear the entire time, and I should have returned it. I ended up trying to use it as my Kitchen device, but the thing couldn't even run Netflix without almost daily force stopping the app and rebooting the Fire. It never ran Evernote dependably, and after a few months we replaced it with an older iPad.

That Fire was rebooted and reset to factory more times than I can say. We bought it refurbished, and it's my fault for not returning it. But I kept thinking updates etc. would straighten it out. Looking back...I think perhaps it had been rooted at some point, then returned to Amazon, who sold it as refurnished.

I loved my 7" Fire HDX, until an Amazon update broke the volume controls. I could no longer turn it up loud enough to hear above running water. I gave it to one of my daughters-in-law. Between the 2 of them, they have 3 of my old Fires, which they use mostly for reading. Even the first gen Fire was still in use last time I asked about it.

The 2012 8.9" Fire HD was nice because of the micro HDMI connection. I used it until it would no longer run certain apps because of age.

My iPad Pro is my go to device, with the Mini being second... I do 99% of my stuff on it. Our AIO Lenovo runs Win 10, Quicken, and a very old version of MS Office that I use for Women's Ministry paperwork etc. Split screen on the larger iPad Pro is great, and the "walled garden" so many talk about with Apple has never been an issue for me or kept me from doing what I need to do on the device.

I've never appreciated the superior air that some have for their OS of choice. Use what works for you. No worries.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 09:53 PM   #48
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I have an Ipad 6th generation that I bought for drawing. I also use it to play Fieldrunners since the Android version doesn't have the same levels. I like it a lot for that but I use my Android tablet for pretty much everything else.

I never tried reading on the Ipad. I do a lot of my reading on my Android phone and I have a second Android phone, a very cheap one, just for reading around the house so I don't use up my real phone's battery.

Not long ago my sister gave me her old Iphone 6S after she bought a new one. She gave it to me to try for reading and I've tried a few reading apps and found some okay ones but nothing I like as well as Moon+ on Android. Still, they were okay.

What really surprised me was how poor the Kindle app is on the Iphone. A few features just don't work at all. I forget which those are now. I haven't used it for a couple of weeks. But they're features that have settings that should make them work and that work on the Android Kindle app and don't work on the IOS Kindle app. Even more surprising was how clumsy the touch interface is in the Kindle app on IOS. I didn't have this problem with other IOS apps. Just the Kindle app.

I scroll when I read and I like doing the scrolling with my thumb. On Android there's just enough delay between touching the screen and it reacting that I have time to start moving my thumb without thinking about it. On the IOS version if my thumb isn't already moving pretty fast it's going to select something before I can get it moving. I almost never have that problem with the Android version. It's always there with the IOS Kindle app. I did uninstall it and reinstall it but nothing changed.

All in all I find the Kindle app on IOS just too clumsy to use.

I installed Marvin and liked it okay. I installed another one whose name I can't recall at the moment and liked it. I could be happy with either of those although I still like Moon+ more.

The thing I really like about the Iphone 6s for reading is the way it feels in my hand. It's very comfortable to hold and read with using the other apps. I'm probably not going to use it mostly because I can't sync with my main phone, which I use away from home. I'm glad I don't have to.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 07:39 AM   #49
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Mini, Kindle Voyage, PW4
I personally don't think the Kindle App works well on any device. Android phone, 2014 Kindle Fire, 2015 Kindle Fire. I am guessing my huge library is just too much for the poor things. Very poor, as in so slow the Kindle app hardly works at all. I do have better luck on my phone, so maybe it's the age of the tablets. They are slow at everything. Would a newer Fire, such as the 8", really be better, though? Maybe I'll trade in the seldom-if-ever used 2015 7" Fire for a newer one and find out. Not the 10" though. Look at the picture on the ad page of the lady holding it. The thing looks gigantic. Of course the 8" is already "last year's" device.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 09:29 AM   #50
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I had an iPad 1, and switched to an Android tablet. One of my main uses for a tablet is web surfing, and the iPad/Safari would crash multiple times per day. My Android tablet seldom crashes. I do like my iPhone.
The iPad 1 was a disaster from day one. It was so badly made.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 10:00 AM   #51
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The iPad 1 was a disaster from day one. It was so badly made.
I never thought so. Got it one day one of launch and loved it. They've only gotten better. I was a bit chagrined having bought the iPad 3 when they released the iPad 4 mere months later. (that's when they went from June releases to Sept releases).

I still have my iPad 1 around here somewhere.
Old 10-09-2019, 10:19 AM   #52
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
I personally don't think the Kindle App works well on any device. Android phone, 2014 Kindle Fire, 2015 Kindle Fire. I am guessing my huge library is just too much for the poor things. Very poor, as in so slow the Kindle app hardly works at all. I do have better luck on my phone, so maybe it's the age of the tablets. They are slow at everything. Would a newer Fire, such as the 8", really be better, though? Maybe I'll trade in the seldom-if-ever used 2015 7" Fire for a newer one and find out. Not the 10" though. Look at the picture on the ad page of the lady holding it. The thing looks gigantic. Of course the 8" is already "last year's" device.
The Kindle App is quite snappy on my Fire HD 10 (2017) and my Google Pixel 2XL. It's a bit slower on my Nexus 7 (2013), but I wouldn't say it doesn't work "well."

It very-well could be down to the size of the library, though. I don't keep all my previously read books on my devices. Typically only a book or three is downloaded at any given time.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 10-09-2019 at 10:22 AM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 10:22 AM   #53
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post
I never thought so. Got it one day one of launch and loved it. They've only gotten better. I was a bit chagrined having bought the iPad 3 when they released the iPad 4 mere months later. (that's when they went from June releases to Sept releases).

I still have my iPad 1 around here somewhere.
I agree that the iPad has gotten better. But given the cost of the iPad 1, it was a disaster. It didn't take long before it stopped work properly. It didn't have enough working memory. Apple went cheap and charged a lot.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 10:51 AM   #54
leebase
Karma Kameleon

Quote:
I agree that the iPad has gotten better. But given the cost of the iPad 1, it was a disaster. It didn't take long before it stopped work properly. It didn't have enough working memory. Apple went cheap and charged a lot.
Your memory and expectations are so different than mine. The original iPad blew everyone away at how CHEAP it was. Nobody expected an under $1000 device, let alone a $499 starting point.

The cheap android alternatives took time to come out...and when they did, they were smaller 8" devices in order to get the price down. There was nothing like the Amazon Fire Tablets as low cost competition at the time.

The whole "the ipad is a competitor to a computer" hadn't happened yet. It was a "chair/couch" sitting device that was "just a big iphone". It delivered splendidly.

The iPad pro was years in coming, along with the expectations of "well, maybe I can replace my computer" -- for some people.

And to this day, the Android software developers have never embraced Android tablets. With some wonderful exceptions (Evernote, the Microsoft Suite of app, Google's apps)....you are stuck running phone apps on an Android tablet. Meanwhile there are millions of "made for iPad" apps.

But...that was all "yet to be". The original iPad was built well and did last. Maybe yours didn't....but there was no over all quality problem.
Old 10-09-2019, 12:35 PM   #55
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
That seems like a pretty ... unique view of history.
The only reason I stopped using the iPad 1 was that I replaced it with an iPad 3 that had a better screen.
The iPad 1 is still around in the family somewhere.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 12:45 PM   #56
John F
Wizard
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
That seems like a pretty ... unique view of history.
The only reason I stopped using the iPad 1 was that I replaced it with an iPad 3 that had a better screen.
The iPad 1 is still around in the family somewhere.
Not that unique, my experience was similar. It was fine for some things, but once I started visiting "busy" web sites, it would start crashing.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 01:25 PM   #57
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Mini, Kindle Voyage, PW4
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
The Kindle App is quite snappy on my Fire HD 10 (2017) and my Google Pixel 2XL. It's a bit slower on my Nexus 7 (2013), but I wouldn't say it doesn't work "well."

It very-well could be down to the size of the library, though. I don't keep all my previously read books on my devices. Typically only a book or three is downloaded at any given time.
I didn't have any books downloaded to the 2 Fires. I was trying to download a book or two to see how they looked. Especially bad is the 8" 2015. I did get a book downloaded and opened. Turning the page causes the app to close.

The 2014 6" Fire actually works better. I have two or three downloaded. I've always liked that one, even though it's a bit slow. But the 8" is SO slow. I am going to trade it in, hopefully when they have a sale. It's just so useless.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 01:54 PM   #58
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, GloHD, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
I didn't have any books downloaded to the 2 Fires. I was trying to download a book or two to see how they looked. Especially bad is the 8" 2015. I did get a book downloaded and opened. Turning the page causes the app to close.

The 2014 6" Fire actually works better. I have two or three downloaded. I've always liked that one, even though it's a bit slow. But the 8" is SO slow. I am going to trade it in, hopefully when they have a sale. It's just so useless.
I also found the 2015 HD8 to be unendurably pokey; I traded it in on the 2018 HD8 and I've been very happy with it.

I always liked the HD6. Beautiful display and very handy, go-anywhere size.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:55 AM   #59
zebradude
Tablet / E-reader addict
zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: See Signature
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I had an iPad 1, and switched to an Android tablet. One of my main uses for a tablet is web surfing, and the iPad/Safari would crash multiple times per day. My Android tablet seldom crashes. I do like my iPhone.
OMG! an iPad 1. well that was a beautifully well-built hardware specs disaster. Apple can stumble on its first devices in a line.

The current iPad 5, 6 or 7 are amazing tablets and are prices much better IMHO.
zebradude is offline   Reply With Quote