Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-11-2019, 10:08 AM   #181
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Honestly, does it really matter in the grand scheme of things if that Agatha Christie book you borrowed from the library for two weeks has an inaccurate (to you) page count? If that is such a big problem, life is good.

I read for years on my Nook which had inaccurate (to me) page counts. But hey, the convenience of the thing made up for the page weirdness.
Of course it's an inconvenience, not a major life problem. But obviously there are a bunch of us who have this same inconvenience, and wish Kobo would give us the choice between the page numbering systems.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 10:10 AM   #182
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
...there are a bunch of us who have this same inconvenience, and wish Kobo would give us the choice between the page numbering systems.
They do. Kepub vs. epub. It may not work for you in every situation, but it is more of a choice than I have on the Nook.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 10:13 AM   #183
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
They do. Kepub vs. epub. It may not work for you in every situation, but it is more of a choice than I have on the Nook.
Since the majority of my reading is library books and these are often downloaded away from home, it is almost every situation for me....
Old 10-11-2019, 10:17 AM   #184
icallaci
Guru
icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Reading this thread does make me wonder how the vernacular police get through their day. They must be in a constant state of outrage, what with dialing a phone number, rolling down a car window and so forth.

Even as I type this message, I wonder, "Where's the type?" Shh! I don't want them to come after me.
icallaci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 10:47 AM   #185
ratinox
Fanatic
ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Forma, iPad Air 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Reading this thread does make me wonder how the vernacular police get through their day. They must be in a constant state of outrage, what with dialing a phone number, rolling down a car window and so forth.

Even as I type this message, I wonder, "Where's the type?" Shh! I don't want them to come after me.
This got me to reexamine things and... I think I don't dislike the idea of one screen = one page so much any more. Because "a page" is not the text; it's the paper itself. For example, old school dot matrix printers printed 66 lines per page where a "page" is a sheet of 8.5x11" paper. Put the same sheet in a laser printer and you can get fewer than 1 line per page with extremely large point sizes to hundreds of lines per page if you reduce the point size enough.

I still don't like the idea of applying physical print skeuomorphism to ebooks, but if the metaphor is going to be forced then one screen = one page is the closest possible analogue to the physical.
ratinox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 12:51 PM   #186
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Kobo should give you an estimate of how long it will take you to read the book (I believe. As mentioned, I really don't use this feature much).
You do get to see an estimate of how long it might take to read the book if you are reading KePub.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 08:18 PM   #187
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
People keep saying "just read epubs, not kepubs". Well, I got my Kobo reader largely because I can obtain library books on it when I am away from home after my Sony reader lost the ability to do this due to Overdrive system changes.

For example, I receive an email notification on my phone that a book I've had on hold for weeks or months has finally become available. I can use the Overdrive app on my phone to check it out, then sync my Kobo reader to get a copy. But I can't choose to get an epub vs a kepub.
It's not as convenient as the Kobo's method, but Tolinos still work like the Sonys used to work for downloading Overdrive books (by using the web browser to download the book and the built-in ADE to open it).

If you want another option, GoodyStore is selling Tolino Shine 2 HDs (used) for $30 (they would probably accept a $25 offer). These are front-lit, 300 dpi readers. I've dealt with GoodyStore several times and have always been happy with the accuracy of their product description and the speed of their shipping.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tolino-Shin....c100667.m2042
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 11:35 PM   #188
4691mls
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
It's not as convenient as the Kobo's method, but Tolinos still work like the Sonys used to work for downloading Overdrive books (by using the web browser to download the book and the built-in ADE to open it).

If you want another option, GoodyStore is selling Tolino Shine 2 HDs (used) for $30 (they would probably accept a $25 offer). These are front-lit, 300 dpi readers. I've dealt with GoodyStore several times and have always been happy with the accuracy of their product description and the speed of their shipping.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tolino-Shin....c100667.m2042
That is pretty cheap! and only $7.50 shipping. I might have to think about that!
You realize you are enabling me toward acquiring your habit of acquiring used ereaders
Old 10-12-2019, 10:00 AM   #189
lkmiller
Laura
lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Elipsa, Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8", Kindle Oasis 2
Yeah, not going to sideload books that automatically download as kepubs. And really not going back to sideloading library books. And this doesn't help with Pocket articles. Previously, my epubs, kepubs, and Pocket articles all had relatively the same size pages. Now my Kobo books and Pocket articles look much longer -- and that length can change so easily.

I just wish there was a way to force the ADE style page counts on everything since it's still there for epubs. In lieu of that, I'll probably just read on my Nook more (where I have to sideload everything new anyway since I no longer buy ebooks from B&N.)

On a sidenote, I miss the ability to toggle between page, percentage, and time with a long press.
lkmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 10:49 AM   #190
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Is there anything the Shine does that the Glowlight Plus (2015) doesn't do? I like the idea of a new gadget for cheap, but it looks like the Shine is pretty much the Glowlight Plus without the waterproofing.
Old 10-12-2019, 12:27 PM   #191
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:

Is there anything the Shine does that the Glowlight Plus (2015) doesn't do? I like the idea of a new gadget for cheap, but it looks like the Shine is pretty much the Glowlight Plus without the waterproofing.
If the following is true, then this makes it better.

Quote:
Publisher's standard displayed, additional choice of six E-Ink-optimized fonts
That's from Tolino's website.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 04:18 PM   #192
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
That is pretty cheap! and only $7.50 shipping. I might have to think about that!
You realize you are enabling me toward acquiring your habit of acquiring used ereaders
Sorry. I'm actually going to start dispersing several of my eBook Readers (any day now). Be aware GoodyStore is closed on weekends, so if you make an offer on Saturday or Sunday they won't see it until Monday morning — and there's a good chance your offer will expire unseen. (Just in case you had made an offer and they haven't responded.)
Old 10-12-2019, 04:30 PM   #193
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:

Yes, it has a couple features that are important to me. Downloading Overdrive books directly (via its web browser) and the ability to install custom fonts. That said, the screen is not quite as bright or as white as the Glowlight Plus (2015) — though it is of good quality. (I think the Glowlight Plus is exceptional here.) Also, it does not have the flush screen. A more direct comparison would be the Tolino Vision 3 or 4 (the 4 HD has 8 GBs of storage instead of 4 GBs the 3 HD has, and the 4 has the "warm" light feature (and a very nice, bright screen), otherwise the two are the same). Both have flush screens and are waterproof. Currently GoodyStore doesn't have a Vision 3 or 4 up for sale, but they get them from time to time and (oddly) they usually sell for almost the same price as the Shines — so they're really a good deal when they come up. They do have a Vision 2 on sale, its the same as the 3, except it's screen is 212 ppi instead of 300.

(Probably more information than you needed.)

EDIT: And one other feature some folks like (not that important to me), the ability to display the cover of the book you're currently reading. You can also display a custom image, if you want.

Last edited by rcentros; 10-12-2019 at 04:45 PM. Reason: Tons of typos corrected
Old 10-12-2019, 08:29 PM   #194
ratinox
Fanatic
ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Forma, iPad Air 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmiller View Post
I just wish there was a way to force the ADE style page counts on everything since it's still there for epubs.
This is unlikely to happen because it requires using Adobe's RMSDK which will never become a standard. Okay, yes, the algorithms probably have been reverse-engineered but there really isn't a lot of demand for it. Witness Amazon and Apple not going there in the first place and Kobo kind of maybe moving away from it. I can see Kobo dropping RMSDK entirely in the next few years due to privacy concerns about the personally identifiable and personally sensitive information RMSDK collects and sends to Adobe.
ratinox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 09:54 PM   #195
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Yes, it has a couple features that are important to me. Downloading Overdrive books directly (via its web browser) and the ability to install custom fonts. That said, the screen is not quite as bright or as white as the Glowlight Plus (2015) — though it is of good quality. (I think the Glowlight Plus is exceptional here.) Also, it does not have the flush screen. A more direct comparison would be the Tolino Vision 3 or 4 (the 4 HD has 8 GBs of storage instead of 4 GBs the 3 HD has, and the 4 has the "warm" light feature (and a very nice, bright screen), otherwise the two are the same). Both have flush screens and are waterproof. Currently GoodyStore doesn't have a Vision 3 or 4 up for sale, but they get them from time to time and (oddly) they usually sell for almost the same price as the Shines — so they're really a good deal when they come up. They do have a Vision 2 on sale, its the same as the 3, except it's screen is 212 ppi instead of 300.

(Probably more information than you needed.)

EDIT: And one other feature some folks like (not that important to me), the ability to display the cover of the book you're currently reading. You can also display a custom image, if you want.
Right on. If a Tolino Vision HD 4 ever comes up for that cheap, I'll get one.