Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 03-13-2010, 03:29 AM   #1
kdf9511
Madman With A Box
kdf9511 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kdf9511 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kdf9511 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kdf9511 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Nook Glowlight, Nook Color, Kindle 4, Astak Pocket Pro
Can't load firmware....

Well I downloaded the new firmware for the PP tonight and tried to run it on the reader and ran into a problem. For some reason the reader will not see the file v5setup.bin. It keeps coming up and saying no update file found on the SD card. I even tried the last firmware release that did take when I first got the reader and got the same results. I have tried powering it off and on as well as resetting it. I also tried reformatting the SD card with just the firmware file on it and with both book folders and the firmware. I keep getting the same results every time.

I guess that unless anyone here has any ideas I will be calling Astek tech support on Monday morning.
kdf9511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 04:20 AM   #2
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Are you able to load books on to the SD card and read them successfully on the PP? You might have a SD slot issue.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-13-2010, 05:27 AM   #3
kdf9511
Madman With A Box
kdf9511 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kdf9511 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kdf9511 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kdf9511 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solicitous View Post
Are you able to load books on to the SD card and read them successfully on the PP? You might have a SD slot issue.
Yep. It's not an SD issue. I can read books from it and it is detected just fine when you hold the page turn button while powering on.
Old 03-13-2010, 07:00 AM   #4
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Did you download the firmware from theezreader.com or from the link someone posted from astak.sharefile.com? The file from the latter site is uncompressed which means whilst the file downloaded it might have a few corrupt bits (which without a md5sum is impossible to check to see if it downloaded correctly), where as the file from theezreader.com is compressed as .rar, so if you download that and are able to uncompress the firmware successfully you know the firmware file is fault free.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 11:43 AM   #5
Xochipilli2012
Zealot
Xochipilli2012 began at the beginning.

Device: Red PRS-600, Slate Blue Astak EZReader Pocket Pro
Launch sequence of new firmware is different from previous version...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdf9511 View Post
Well I downloaded the new firmware for the PP tonight and tried to run it on the reader and ran into a problem. For some reason the reader will not see the file v5setup.bin. It keeps coming up and saying no update file found on the SD card. I even tried the last firmware release that did take when I first got the reader and got the same results. I have tried powering it off and on as well as resetting it. I also tried reformatting the SD card with just the firmware file on it and with both book folders and the firmware. I keep getting the same results every time.

I guess that unless anyone here has any ideas I will be calling Astek tech support on Monday morning.
I ran into the same problem; the boot up procedure and behavior is definitely different than that described for the previous 12/11/2009 update for the v5.

I had to "reboot" several times before I stumbled upon the right "sequence." I cannot even say for sure that the following will do the trick, but give it a try:

Instead of holding both the On and left Page Advance (right-arrow) keys down, try holding the Page Advance button only, and do a quick press and release of the On button to turn the device on and launch the sequence. Doing that seemed to allow me time to hit the "OK" when prompted by the firmware load screen.

Before, when holding both buttons down, as I recall doing for the previous upgrade, and as described on the theEZReader.com site's instructions, the message to say "OK" just zooms by and some message about aborting by pressing any key comes up (sorry--I didn't think to write it down).

What I described may not be precisely "correct" or necessary, but it seemed to work for me. What I"m sure of is holding down both keys, per the instructions, did not work.

Also--for any of you others who have successfully gotten this to run: did you hear the three "beeps"??? I didn't. I flashed my reader twice with the old firmware and heard them very distinctly each time. And as someone else commented here, those "beeps" are much louder than the key-press ones, when they are enabled.

Good luck, y'all!!!

(OH...no...I haven't tested anything out yet. I just wanted to share my observation that the launch sequence of the new firmware seems different from the previous one.)
Xochipilli2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-13-2010, 01:17 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I heard the beeps. Came up from Nov 2009 FW
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 03:35 PM   #7
kdf9511
Madman With A Box

Quote:
Did you download the firmware from theezreader.com or from the link someone posted from astak.sharefile.com?
I downloaded it from theezreader.com and used WinRar to unpack it. I tried unpacking directly to the SD card as well as the pc drive. I also tried moving the file to the SD Card with the PP and with using my seprate SD Card reader.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xochipilli2012 View Post

Instead of holding both the On and left Page Advance (right-arrow) keys down, try holding the Page Advance button only, and do a quick press and release of the On button to turn the device on and launch the sequence. Doing that seemed to allow me time to hit the "OK" when prompted by the firmware load screen.

Well I tried this and still get "SD Card Detected 982 MB" (witch is right for a 1 gig card) and "No Update File Found"
Old 03-13-2010, 06:05 PM   #8
rezidue
rezidue began at the beginning.

Device: EZ Reader Pocket PRO
What format is the partition in? I couldn't detect the firmware until I used a fat16 512mb card.
rezidue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 06:34 PM   #9
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libre 2
FAT 16 may be required, but I use a 2GB card and it finds the firmware every time.
jusmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 07:23 PM   #10
kdf9511
Madman With A Box

Its formated for FAT32 just like the two gig card that I used for the first firmware upgrade.
Old 03-13-2010, 10:26 PM   #11
kdf9511
Madman With A Box

Well Hmmm......

I decided to try again and was going to start with a fresh download of the rar file from a totaly diffrent computer and net connection and damm if it isn't there. Now all I see that dang undefined stuff....

I guess I will be calling Astak on Monday morning....
Old 03-13-2010, 10:34 PM   #12
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Well Hmmm......

I decided to try again and was going to start with a fresh download of the rar file from a totaly diffrent computer and net connection and damm if it isn't there. Now all I see that dang undefined stuff....

Just checking
You did un-RAR the file and place the contained file, v5setup.bin (127M)
in the root of the SD card?
Old 03-13-2010, 10:38 PM   #13
AJ Starr
Guru
AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PEZ, Color Libre, 2@Sony T1, Onyx i62HD
Quote:
Well Hmmm......

Looks like they're still working out there in California. The site is updated with the proper date. You probably checked it while they were updating, but it shows up ok now.

AJ
AJ Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 10:45 PM   #14
rxsz
Connoisseur
rxsz began at the beginning.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro
SD card unrecognized

kept getting that message when trying to update firmware, so I just used properties>tools to fix any errors on my tried and true 16GB SDHC.

Even though Vista reported no errors, whatever it did was enough to get the PP to recognize the card and updating proceeded.
rxsz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 10:53 PM   #15
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxsz View Post
kept getting that message when trying to update firmware, so I just used properties>tools to fix any errors on my tried and true 16GB SDHC.

Even though Vista reported no errors, whatever it did was enough to get the PP to recognize the card and updating proceeded.
XP does not "report" errors :/
It just quietly puts the fragments of broken linkages into a hidden folder "Found.xxx"
it is a System folder, that you need to un-hide..
Delete,
Empty trash
to get the space back .