Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 09-15-2009, 01:47 PM   #1
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Abocom X-Pilot

Hey y'all;
I was given an Abocom X-Pilot. I *think* it's the first version, running Win CE 3.0. I'll know more once I manage to find an ac adaptor for it.

I found an old message board post that said MS Reader won't run on CE 3.0, but mobipocket will. The guy also says it makes an awesome ebook reader, which I'm sure it does - if I can get it powered up!

What I was actually wondering is if it'd be possible to put linux on it so I could run Calibre. I know, that's a 180 degree switch for me, but until recently (call me dumb) I'd only used Calibre for conversions and didn't realize what a fantastic ebook reading software it is.

If anyone has any ideas about where to look for an adaptor (14.4 volts and needs to be center positive), or has any experience with one of these, I'd love to hear from you.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 02:25 PM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Which one do you have (the pictures are links):

The first one looks an awful lot like a rebranded Viewsonic Airpanel 100. If you have that one, then you're in luck becuase I have spare power supplies. They're 19V 3.16A 60W, so they might not be compatible. Can you check the voltage again?

The upside is that once you find a power supply there is a whole lot of software you can run on it:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32551
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-15-2009, 02:44 PM   #3
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It is the bottom one - but one of the sites I found said it was a rebranded viewsonic airpanel. and WAY cool on the software. The battery says 14.4 V but the spec sheet here: http://www.xterasys.com/product/x_pilot.htm says 19 V.
Old 09-15-2009, 11:01 PM   #4
dmon65
Connoisseur
dmon65 will become famous soon enoughdmon65 will become famous soon enoughdmon65 will become famous soon enoughdmon65 will become famous soon enoughdmon65 will become famous soon enoughdmon65 will become famous soon enough

Device: SmartQ7, a 1st gen Nook and a Kobo Glo and Aura H2O
If all else fails, Radio Shack sells some good, reversible tipped replacement adapters. Swappable tips for size and reversible polarity.

I've been able to find them under $20-$25 most times.

Hopefully you'll find something else, cheaper!

Good luck!
dmon65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 11:05 PM   #5
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phenomshel View Post
It is the bottom one - but one of the sites I found said it was a rebranded viewsonic airpanel. and WAY cool on the software. The battery says 14.4 V but the spec sheet here: http://www.xterasys.com/product/x_pilot.htm says 19 V.
I just now realized that I confused myself about the order of the pictures. The bottom one is the rebranded Airpanel. I have those power supplies, if you need one.
Advert
Old 09-16-2009, 12:37 AM   #6
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel

Yes, I need one, please Nate. I've pm'd you.
Old 09-16-2009, 01:24 AM   #7
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmon65 View Post
If all else fails, Radio Shack sells some good, reversible tipped replacement adapters. Swappable tips for size and reversible polarity.

I've been able to find them under $20-$25 most times.

Hopefully you'll find something else, cheaper!

Good luck!
Made a trip over to the nearest Radio Shack today. The only "universal" adapter they had was $99.00 and wouldn't work. They were nice enough to let me try before buying, though, so that was good.
Old 09-16-2009, 02:29 AM   #8
dmon65
Connoisseur
dmon65 will become famous soon enoughdmon65 will become famous soon enoughdmon65 will become famous soon enoughdmon65 will become famous soon enoughdmon65 will become famous soon enoughdmon65 will become famous soon enough

Device: SmartQ7, a 1st gen Nook and a Kobo Glo and Aura H2O
Yow!!

I knew it had been a while, but THAT long?

Sorry about the misinformation about "the Shack".

Hopefully Nate will get you all squared away.
dmon65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 01:23 PM   #9
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel

Oh, MY! I guess I got luckier than I thought with being given this. Have been all over the net trying to find parts for it, and the units themselves are still being sold. The cheapest I've seen one is $515.00!! They must be built like tanks if they're still being sold and resold after this long (original manufacture date was 2001).
Old 09-20-2009, 05:32 AM   #10
Floeee
Groupie
Floeee began at the beginning.

Device: iRex DR1000s *returned* / Sony PRS-505 *returned* / Asus eee PC t91
is it possible to get this devices in europe, or something similar ? because im not satisfied with my DR

*edit* ok just found out that archos will launch their archos 9 tablet next month, which looks impressing
also could find the new eee pc tablet which seems to me better than a palm

Last edited by Floeee; 09-20-2009 at 06:35 AM.
Floeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 12:23 AM   #11
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel

Got the adapter from Nate (couldn't believe it got here that fast!). But, plugged it in, and all I get is the green LED. No screen backlight, nothing but the green LED. Either I'm too stupid to figure out how to turn this on, or it's a brick :-(
Old 09-22-2009, 12:30 AM   #12
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by phenomshel View Post
Got the adapter from Nate (couldn't believe it got here that fast!). But, plugged it in, and all I get is the green LED. No screen backlight, nothing but the green LED. Either I'm too stupid to figure out how to turn this on, or it's a brick :-(
The battery might be dead, or it might be mostly dead. Leave it charging until morning. If it runs, then it is mostly dead.

Get a can of compressed air and spray some inside. If it says "to blathe", then I think you'll be okay. (just to be clear: the compressed air thing was a joke)
Old 09-22-2009, 01:01 AM   #13
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel

I'm sure it's dead - the battery that is. I found a manual for this online. The troubleshooting section says, "My Web Tablet will not turn on!" Solution 1. "Make sure the lock/unlock switch is set to "unlock". Sure, except I can't find ANYTHING on it that could be a lock/unlock switch except for the one to lock/unlock the battery. And since that's on a spring (ie: you can't set it to "unlock"), I'm pretty sure that's not it. I'm not getting the orange LED at all, to indicate the battery is charging. But even if the battery is not functional, wouldn't it still work with the a/c adapter? Unless, of course it's dead, Jim.