Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 11-01-2009, 12:07 PM   #91
jasonkchapman
Guru
jasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it is

Device: Sony Reader, nook, Droid, nookColor, nookTablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
Yeah, and "Nook" has "nookie" all over it....now THATS silly!
Well, romance readers were one of the first groups to embrace e-books in large numbers....
jasonkchapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 01:42 PM   #92
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LazyScot View Post
I believe there are numerous course available to improve one's aim.... I hope the collateral damage didn't get you into trouble.

Well, sign me up, then!!
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-02-2009, 12:26 PM   #93
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
It occurred to me last night: If I was going to name such a device, I might choose the name of a famous and respected author... something like Twain, or Shakespeare, or Dickens. As I thought about it more, I decided I liked Dickens, who was noted for bringing the "common man" and lower classes into his stories as few had before him... a laudable and desirable facility for an e-book reader.

Also, it opens up the PR gates to comments about "the little Dickens."
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 11:08 AM   #94
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
We could call it the Jordan...
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 03:51 PM   #95
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Would that be the river? Or the basketball player?
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-15-2009, 04:13 PM   #96
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
I was thinking that world famous SF writer...
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 04:34 PM   #97
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
The nookie (consults urban dictionary). erm maybe not.

I am guessing the 'B&N book-e' was taken. Any variation on the term ebook combined with the B&N name would have worked.
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 08:49 PM   #98
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hmm... how about "the little black book" or is that one taken too?

The new kindle commercial is catchy, but somehow I never remember itʻs for kindle. I always think itʻs for deodorant or something...
Old 11-16-2009, 02:03 AM   #99
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
the fount or tree... as in of knowledge...
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 10:20 PM   #100
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
I was thinking that world famous SF writer...
My ears should be burning... but strangely, they're not...
Old 11-18-2009, 10:25 PM   #101
Simon Wood
Addict
Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
Okay, I think we're all in agreement here that Nook is a pretty silly name for an e-book reading device. So far, the only likely explanation I've heard is that B&N's guys are Dr. Seuss fans, as this quote from One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish suggests:

...and I'm almost buying it. But it still sucks as a reader name.

So come on, MobileReaders: Let's have some good names for a B&N e-book reading device! Serious or silly, I don't really care... it can't possibly be any worse than what they gave us!
I have a similar issue with the Kindle. What is a Kindle? It makes about must sense at the Nook. I'm reminded of when Eastman started Kodak, he invented the word that would make people take notice. For B&N, I don't think Nook is that word.

Maybe they should have gone with the uRead and started a whole line of U-gadgets...
Simon Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 02:00 AM   #102
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Wood View Post
I have a similar issue with the Kindle. What is a Kindle? It makes about must sense at the Nook. I'm reminded of when Eastman started Kodak, he invented the word that would make people take notice. For B&N, I don't think Nook is that word.

Maybe they should have gone with the uRead and started a whole line of U-gadgets...
After some extra consideration, Iʻve decided I really like the name Kindle and I really like the name Nook. Now I wish my reader had a more pleasant, comforting name than "Sony."

So letʻs rename the sony instead!
Old 11-19-2009, 08:58 AM   #103
wayrad
Fanatic
wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HTC One M8
If it were named after a classic author, a common emotional response to the name would likely be "Oh, that stuff I had to read in school" or "only for highbrows", which is probably not what B&N was aiming at. And naming it after a modern author would appeal to readers of that author or genre, but might be a turnoff for others. I suspect "Nook" was intended to evoke a more general warm-and-fuzzy idea of reading as a refuge, a cosy little place to get away from the world. And any, um, alternate meanings would at least relate to activities that are generally regarded in a positive light.
wayrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 09:25 AM   #104
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer

Yeah, I get that.

My feeling, though, is that most people--even most readers--cannot directly relate to that idea, because they've never had a "nook" to do their reading in. To me, Nook also seems a bit elitist, something for special people who can devote spaces to one thing and one thing only, lock themselves away and get away from it all. I suspect that, the more corporations try to make us think we need a special space just for reading, the fewer readers there will be.

I think the name should have evoked a different experience, a desire to read, to learn, to be entertained... as opposed to a place to do that. In that light, I'd say the name "Kindle" evokes that idea much better than "Nook" does. But then, maybe B&N were specifically thinking of the parallels, and trying for a name that denoted a place and specifically not an act or emotion.

I just don't think it worked.

(Anyway, since I now know I can download a book from B&N and read it on my iPaq, I'll never buy a Nook, or a Kindle, and it probably doesn't matter a whit what I think. )
Old 11-19-2009, 10:43 AM   #105
wayrad
Fanatic
wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HTC One M8
For me it doesn't evoke the foreign concept of a special place to do my reading, but rather the familiar one of a special place inside my head.
But as you say, it may not succeed for everyone.

P.S. Perhaps they could've called it the Portal, because it opens the doors of literature, and sounds a bit like "portable". It's not a particularly attention-grabbing or euphonious word, though. (Speaking of which, I've always admired the name of the PalmOS text adventure interpreter CellarDoor. Not only did they use what has been claimed to be the most euphonious phrase in the English language, but it's incredibly appropriate for a genre so closely associated with dungeon crawls!)

Last edited by wayrad; 11-19-2009 at 10:55 AM.
wayrad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
barnes and noble, e-book reader