Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 10-29-2009, 02:33 PM   #76
sircastor
Reader
sircastor got an A in P-Chem.sircastor got an A in P-Chem.sircastor got an A in P-Chem.sircastor got an A in P-Chem.sircastor got an A in P-Chem.sircastor got an A in P-Chem.sircastor got an A in P-Chem.sircastor got an A in P-Chem.sircastor got an A in P-Chem.sircastor got an A in P-Chem.sircastor got an A in P-Chem.

Device: PRS-505
I think "Noble" would have been a great name, as suggested above.

The naming convention is a tough deal... "Kindle" after all, isn't an amazing name either. It's an adjective that describes the starting of a fire (or something). A word that, in my opinion, doesn't really have anything to do with reading (anymore than "Nook" anyway). I personally didn't ever connect "Nook" with any of the "nookie" jokes that have been floating around.

In both the case of the Kindle and the Nook, there's no intuitive implication that the product has anything to do with reading. That being the case, I think the name is meant to encourage curiosity, and from there it doesn't really matter.
sircastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 02:43 PM   #77
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by sircastor View Post
I think "Noble" would have been a great name, as suggested above.

The naming convention is a tough deal... "Kindle" after all, isn't an amazing name either. It's an adjective that describes the starting of a fire (or something). A word that, in my opinion, doesn't really have anything to do with reading (anymore than "Nook" anyway). I personally didn't ever connect "Nook" with any of the "nookie" jokes that have been floating around.

In both the case of the Kindle and the Nook, there's no intuitive implication that the product has anything to do with reading. That being the case, I think the name is meant to encourage curiosity, and from there it doesn't really matter.

Here is why they named it the Kindle:

3. to excite; stir up or set going; animate; rouse; inflame: He kindled their hopes of victory.
4. to light up, illuminate, or make bright: Happiness kindled her eyes.

Its certainly kindled my interest. And re-kindled my love of reading.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-29-2009, 06:01 PM   #78
jasonkchapman
Guru
jasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it is

Device: Sony Reader, nook, Droid, nookColor, nookTablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
Here is why they named it the Kindle:

3. to excite; stir up or set going; animate; rouse; inflame: He kindled their hopes of victory.
4. to light up, illuminate, or make bright: Happiness kindled her eyes.

Its certainly kindled my interest. And re-kindled my love of reading.
It's still a silly name. "Nook", at least, has the "reading nook" connection to books right up front without having to get all philosophical about it. Personally, I was always fond of "Dweeb" for the Kindle; Digital Web-Enabled E-Book. B&N, though, should have gone with "BNerd"; Barnes & Noble Electronic Reading Device. Think of the great "be nerdy" ad campaign you could have!
jasonkchapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 07:56 PM   #79
kezza
Lowlife of the Party
kezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura about

Device: nook, iphone
Quote:
Originally Posted by acidzebra View Post
To me Libren sounds like a brand of pantyliner - does it come with wings? Gotta have wings.

Also it's too close to Librie, the world's first e-ink reader, sold by Sony in Japan.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sony_LI...%A9_EBR-1000EP
And it totally sounds like a feminine hygiene product.

Me I like the nook, makes me think of the used bookstores I used to love when I was a kid, as mentioned earlier in the thread. It's also a more natural-sounding name than "Reader" or "Kindle." Generally if I'm referring to my Sony I say "where's my book?" Not too far off for me to say "where's my Nook?" Of course, I may just continue saying "book," but whatever. Kindle has become self-consciously techie, like a buzzword. Reader is just a little awkward.

I like "Noble," too, but it does sound a little pompous. Also, it has the same mouthfeel problem as Kindle, with the "le" at the end. The same "le" makes it sound like a "me too" device, which I strongly suspect it's not.
kezza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 12:14 AM   #80
ahintz
Zealot
ahintz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ahintz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ahintz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ahintz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle PW/iPhone5/iPad (3)/Nook ST
Just thought I'd pipe in here - I actually like the name. Like others have said, my first thought when I heard the word was curling up in a corner and reading all day. It is short, easy to remember, and is easy to use when talking about the device. In discussions about it with family and coworkers, everyone has simply accepted that this is the name of the device - didn't really require any explanation beyond "this is Barnes and Noble's Kindle".
ahintz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-30-2009, 09:40 AM   #81
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
Okay, it's been duly established that there are some of us who like the name. (That's right, I'm not marginalizing anyone around here.) That's okay... MR members have never all been in lock-step with each other.
That's not true! We are lock step together in not being in lock step together.

I still like my suggestion of Accelerant.

Followed by iRex's new Fuel.

Ending up with Sony's Exhaust.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 09:42 AM   #82
pshrynk
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falbe Publishing View Post
I think B&N should have called it the "Noble". Sounds nice, ties in with the company, and supports the notion that reading is for elevated minds. (Even if you read so-called trashy fun stuff, your mind is still far more elevated than a good chunk of the population that is staring slack-jawed at a TV, flipping channels.)
Or it could be called Silo Royale...
Old 10-30-2009, 09:43 AM   #83
pshrynk

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
Please don't make me start on poll on whether Marc is a 'funsucker'.
And choice two could be Sun...

Oh. Never mind.
Old 10-30-2009, 11:24 AM   #84
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonkchapman View Post
It's still a silly name. "Nook", at least, has the "reading nook" connection to books right up front without having to get all philosophical about it. Personally, I was always fond of "Dweeb" for the Kindle; Digital Web-Enabled E-Book. B&N, though, should have gone with "BNerd"; Barnes & Noble Electronic Reading Device. Think of the great "be nerdy" ad campaign you could have!
Yeah, and "Nook" has "nookie" all over it....now THATS silly!
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 12:29 PM   #85
Jim Lester
Evangelist
Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.

Device: Nook HD, Nook for Windows 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
That's not true! We are lock step together in not being in lock step together.
pshrynk == brian?

Jim Lester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 04:09 AM   #86
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timoleon View Post
They should have called it --- Bob.
Uh... that might confuse people. In other online worlds (aka, all the other boards I have ever been a part of, usually frequented by mostly women), "BOB" is "battery operated boyfriend," aka, one of those battery operated devices to pleasure a woman when the "real thing" isnʻt available.

I would hate for some poor unsuspecting woman to buy one, and find out it only offers up an entirely different type of pleasure. Itʻs like biting into stir fry, thinking it contains chicken, and finding out itʻs tofu instead. Just not the same.

I donʻt mind the name so much... I thought of a reading nook too. Itʻs not the best name, as I always think of Dr Seuss if I say it more than once, but, eh, itʻs ok.

Iʻm waiting for one to come out called "The Book." Or is there one already? (Incidentally, I like the name Kindle too... I do think of all those things DG mentioned! I just donʻt want one )
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 11:15 PM   #87
pshrynk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Lester View Post
pshrynk == brian?

Oddly enough, yes.
Old 10-31-2009, 11:16 PM   #88
pshrynk

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceKrispy View Post
Uh... that might confuse people. In other online worlds (aka, all the other boards I have ever been a part of, usually frequented by mostly women), "BOB" is "battery operated boyfriend," aka, one of those battery operated devices to pleasure a woman when the "real thing" isnʻt available.

I would hate for some poor unsuspecting woman to buy one, and find out it only offers up an entirely different type of pleasure. Itʻs like biting into stir fry, thinking it contains chicken, and finding out itʻs tofu instead. Just not the same.

I donʻt mind the name so much... I thought of a reading nook too. Itʻs not the best name, as I always think of Dr Seuss if I say it more than once, but, eh, itʻs ok.

Iʻm waiting for one to come out called "The Book." Or is there one already? (Incidentally, I like the name Kindle too... I do think of all those things DG mentioned! I just donʻt want one )
Hey! Wherenaheck have you been?
Old 11-01-2009, 02:37 AM   #89
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
Quote:
Hey! Wherenaheck have you been?

Hiding from you!!

whoops.

Just kidding, I have, of course, missed you more than words can say.
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 03:08 AM   #90
LazyScot
DSil
LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Cybook
Quote:
Oddly enough, yes.
You're a very naughty boy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceKrispy View Post
Just kidding, I have, of course, missed you more than words can say.
I believe there are numerous course available to improve one's aim.... I hope the collateral damage didn't get you into trouble.
LazyScot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
barnes and noble, e-book reader