Notices

Old 02-19-2016, 04:27 AM   #1
snk4ever
snk4ever began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo h2o
Global setting for all books to never display the book cover

Hi !

First message here
I am using a Kobo h2o with KSM and KOreader, mostly for mangas (zips) and pdfs.

I would like to never display a book's cover (reading manga or displaying a technical PDF, I'd rather have the current page always displayed) when I put the Kobo to sleep.

I can disable the option, but I need to do it for every file (zip or pdf) I open. Sometimes my manga is 1 zip for 1 chapter, so a file lasts just 3-5 minutes of reading time.

I tried long pressing the option, to make it default but it didn't work. I also looked at defaults.persistent.lua but couldn't find the option in here.

Any advice ?

Also, is there a place I can remove the "Suspended" message box ? Or edit the text. Even if I have to modify the source code, that would be acceptable. Ideally I would just like a small icon in a corner saying the Kobo is suspended, and the current page still displayed so I can read it even if the device is off and I would like this to be the default behavior, always.
snk4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 08:15 AM   #2
Alan_S
Evangelist
Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Aura ONE
I think that this (not remembering long press for defaults) was reported as bug and corrected. Or I may be wrong. Try to use latest knightly.

But, already opened books need manual changing of options. Only new books (never opened before) read defaults.lua, already opened has their own settings, which they think is something you want it this way.
Alan_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-19-2016, 09:35 AM   #3
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Quote:
Originally Posted by snk4ever View Post
Hi !

First message here
I am using a Kobo h2o with KSM and KOreader, mostly for mangas (zips) and pdfs.

I would like to never display a book's cover (reading manga or displaying a technical PDF, I'd rather have the current page always displayed) when I put the Kobo to sleep.

I can disable the option, but I need to do it for every file (zip or pdf) I open. Sometimes my manga is 1 zip for 1 chapter, so a file lasts just 3-5 minutes of reading time.

I tried long pressing the option, to make it default but it didn't work. I also looked at defaults.persistent.lua but couldn't find the option in here.

Any advice ?

Also, is there a place I can remove the "Suspended" message box ? Or edit the text. Even if I have to modify the source code, that would be acceptable. Ideally I would just like a small icon in a corner saying the Kobo is suspended, and the current page still displayed so I can read it even if the device is off and I would like this to be the default behavior, always.
Actually, that was how I preferred it when we first were talking about the implementation of the sleep/screensaver. It was easier back then to comment out the "self.suspend_msg" or change the text = _("Suspended") to something else.

It looks like they moved all that to: /frontend/ui/screensaver.lua (around line 130, using Notepad++)

I used to like it staying on the page while I fiddled with something.

Luck;
Ken

If you open "defaults.lua" in Notepad++ , oddly in the section labeled -- Light parameter for Kobo You can change KOBO_SCREEN_SAVER_LAST_BOOK to "false". That should be happening with the long press though. You can copy/merge the defaults.lua into your defaults.persistent.lua to have all the settings there as well.

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 02-19-2016 at 09:55 AM.
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 11:07 AM   #4
snk4ever
snk4ever began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo h2o
Great, and thank you !

I managed to have exactly the behavior I wanted:
- defaults.lua: KOBO_SCREEN_SAVER_LAST_BOOK = "false"
- in /frontend/ui/screensaver.lua, comment line 130 -- UIManager:show(self.suspend_msg)

All my books have no screensaver at all, not sure if the commenting is usefull or if just the option in defaults.lua is enough and doesn't launch any screensaver code.
snk4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 11:43 AM   #5
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Quote:
Originally Posted by snk4ever View Post
Great, and thank you !

I managed to have exactly the behavior I wanted:
- defaults.lua: KOBO_SCREEN_SAVER_LAST_BOOK = "false"
- in /frontend/ui/screensaver.lua, comment line 130 -- UIManager:show(self.suspend_msg)

All my books have no screensaver at all, not sure if the commenting is usefull or if just the option in defaults.lua is enough and doesn't launch any screensaver code.
As I understand it, e-Ink screens don't need saving, nothing would get "burned in" like on a CRT. We do want to suspend/sleep the device, to save power when we are not using the device.

You probably need both, to get what you want. The first to not use the book cover, then the second to not "show" the message box with Suspended.

The logic for the function is that with it set to use the book cover, it well unless it can't find one for that book, then it will show the default image file the user provides, if there isn't one, then it will show the message box with "Suspended".

Luck;
Ken

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 02-19-2016 at 11:49 AM.
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert