Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 02-10-2016, 09:19 AM   #1
rebl
r.eads e.njoys b.ooks lol
rebl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
Original published year vs edition published year?

How do you guys store the initial, original published year of a book versus the publishing year of a reprint (edition)? Do they matter to you? Which one do you prefer to store in the published year?
For example Jules Verne, whose works are public domain, has at least three meaningful publishing years. For example for "20,000 Leagues Under the Seas":
- 1870 initial publishing date in French
- let's say 1980 first translation in my language, in and "old style" dialect
- let's say 1976 2nd translation, old orthography in my native language
- and finally 2012 a current reprint with changed orthography and better graphics
If I got copies of all these, how/where would you advise me to store the years?
Thanks.
rebl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 10:07 AM   #2
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
You can have separate entries for the different editions (I think - you might need to use titles with modifiers

This clearly is the right approach for different translations, and might be worth-while for substantially changed editions.

You might also want to add a custom column for 'first published' date, and leave the standard column for the edition date.

It all depends on how much effort you want to put in, and what you really want to record.

I tend to just use the standard column for the first published date, even if my text is from a revised edition. For instance, I have The Hobbit as 1937, even though the text is of the revised second edition of 1951.

Last edited by pdurrant; 02-11-2016 at 04:39 AM.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-11-2016, 02:10 AM   #3
rebl
r.eads e.njoys b.ooks lol
rebl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
Thank you, I was assuming that might be the best solution too.
rebl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 02:42 PM   #4
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I tend to just use the standard column for the first published date, even if my text is from a revised edition. For instance, I have The Hobbit as 1937, even though the text is of the revised second edition of 1951.
This is how I record the dates.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 07:18 PM   #5
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Same here. I use the date of first publication.

As Calibre cannot register dates before year 101 due to a limitation of the date libraries it uses, it's impossible to use the publication date field accurately when adding ancient works. I just use a date of 1000 there, as it's the first date containing four digits.

Maybe I'm going to use my "Annotation" field to record the true publication date.

If the book is an omnibus, containing works of one author, I use the date at 60% of his age. An omnibus containing works of an author who lived from 1812 to 1887 would get a publication date of 1857. (1887 - 1812 = 75; 75 x 0.6 = 45; 1812 + 45 = 1857.) Then I'm at least in the ballpark regarding the writing time of those stories. OK, I know this can get weird with authors who died really young, or authors who wrote most of their works in their later years. Then you can get publication dates at a *really* young age, or even before the first work was written.

IF the book is an anthology, containing works of many authors, I use the publication date of the book itself.

Last edited by Katsunami; 02-12-2016 at 07:25 PM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-13-2016, 08:21 AM   #6
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Could you not use the 0101 format for dates before 1000?
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 09:57 AM   #7
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
Could you not use the 0101 format for dates before 1000?
Apache
Yes; the lowest calibre can go is year 101, which is stored as 0101. I don't like that, however. Therefore I use 1000, and will start to put the real (estimated) publication date in my Annotations field.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote