Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil > Plugins

Notices

Old 09-16-2015, 04:23 PM   #91
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Updated the Plugin Documentation post near the front of this thread with Sigil_Plugin_Framework_rev5.epub which has information/documentation for the new plugin features that will be available in Sigil 0.8.900

I left up rev4 of the docs just in case as it is valid for the stable 0.8.5, 0.8.6, and 0.8.7 releases of Sigil.

Hope this helps,

KevinH
KevinH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 04:45 PM   #92
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
I had a quick look at the examples and noticed that you used sigil_bs4 in conjunction with the gumbo parser. Does this mean that sigil_bs4 will only work with the gumbo parser or could I import sigil_bs4 like the vanilla version?

For example, would I only have to change:

Code:
from bs4 import BeautifulSoup
to:

Code:
from sigil_bs4 import BeautifulSoup
to make existing plugins compatible with the next Sigil version?
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-16-2015, 04:55 PM   #93
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hi Doitsu,

We have our own version of BeautifulSoup4 we call sigil_bs4. It will always be available to both Python 2.7 plugins and Python 3.4 plugins once Sigil 0.8.900 is out.

To use it in place of any local or system specific version of official BS4, you do exactly what you noted:

change "import bs4" to "import sigil_bs4" or use the changes you stated below.

And go from there. This will give you the Sigil version of bs4 which runs on both python 2.7 and 3.4 with the same codebase and which has prettyprint_xhtml() and serialize_xhtml() methods as well as bug fixes for using lxml with bs4.

It will work just like bs4 does for other projects, it is just that our gumbo interface requires it.

Hope that explains things.

KevinH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
I had a quick look at the examples and noticed that you used sigil_bs4 in conjunction with the gumbo parser. Does this mean that sigil_bs4 will only work with the gumbo parser or could I import sigil_bs4 like the vanilla version?

For example, would I only have to change:

Code:
from bs4 import BeautifulSoup
to:

Code:
from sigil_bs4 import BeautifulSoup
to make existing plugins compatible with the next Sigil version?

Last edited by KevinH; 09-16-2015 at 04:57 PM.
Old 09-16-2015, 05:18 PM   #94
KevinH
Sigil Developer

And yes, there was test code mistakenly left in the docs (thank you Doitsu!), so a new version has now been uploaded to the earlier post in this thread.

Sigil_Plugin_Framework_rev5a.epub
Old 10-02-2015, 01:50 PM   #95
KevinH
Sigil Developer

New Plugin Interface Routines to support Manipulating epub3

Hi All,

This is just a head's up. In the upcoming release of Sigil 0.8.901, we have added in some new plugin interface routines that are needed to work with ePub3's via plugin.

These new routines provide support for adding/manipulating properties on manifest items and for adding/manipulating properties on spine itemrefs.

The new ("edit" plugin) bookcontainer.py routines are:

Code:
    # New for epub3
    def getspine_epub3(self):
        # spine is an ordered list of tuples (id, linear, properties)
        return self._w.getspine_epub3()

# New for epub3
    def setspine_epub3(self, new_spine):
        # new_spine must be an ordered list of tuples (id, linear, properties (or None))
        self._w.setspine_epub3(new_spine)

# Modified for epub3
    def spine_insert_before(self, pos, spid, linear, properties=None):
        self._w.spine_insert_before(pos, spid, linear, properties)

# New for epub3
    def setspine_idref_epub3_attributes(idref, linear, properties):
        self._w.setspine_idref_attributes(idref, linear, properties)

# Modified for epub3
    def addfile(self, uniqueid, basename, data, mime=None, properties=None):
        # creates a new file in the manifest with unique manifest id, basename, data, and mimetype
        self._w.addfile(uniqueid, basename, data, mime, properties)

# New for epub3
    def set_manifest_epub3_properties(self, id, properties):
        # sets the epub3 manifest property for this manifest id
        self._w.set_manifest_epub3_property(id, properties)

# New for epub3
    def manifest_epub3_iter(self):
        # yields manifest id, href, mimetype, and properties
        for id in sorted(self._w.id_to_mime):
            mime = self._w.id_to_mime[id]
            href = self._w.id_to_href[id]
            properties = self._w.id_to_props[id]
            yield id, href, mime, properties

# New for epub3
    def spine_epub3_iter(self):
        # yields spine idref, linear(yes,no,None), properties, href in spine order
        for (id , linear, properties) in self._w.spine:
            href = self._w.id_to_href[id]
            yield id, linear, properties, href

# New for epub3
    def id_to_properties(self, id, ow=None):
        return self._w.map_id_to_props(id, ow)

The new launcher version will report 20151001.

Note that these changes are versioned with "epub3", and the older interface routines are still there and still work. There should be no breakage of current plugins.

Also note, with these latest changes, it should now be possible for plugin developers to add epub3 features via python plugins even before we get a chance to add them to Sigil. I am thinking here of epub3 metadata editing or conversion, and autogeneration of a nav as some thigns that would certainly be doable with plugins.

Hope this helps,

KevinH

Last edited by KevinH; 10-04-2015 at 04:08 PM. Reason: Update docs with info for new release
Advert
Old 10-28-2015, 05:32 AM   #96
rubeus
Banned
rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 650
What i'm supposed to do if i want to create plugins running with the built in python interpreter?

It must run under 3.4?

What do i have to enter in the preference? leave the path to the interpreter blank?

I gues there will be a mixter of plugins where i need to have the 2.7 still installed due to already available plugins, will there be a problem with the built in one? How does the decison wrok in Sigil what interpreter is to be used?

And at least: are there example available on how to huse the built in libraries?

So many questions...

//rubeus
rubeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 06:44 AM   #97
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubeus View Post
What i'm supposed to do if i want to create plugins running with the built in python interpreter?
1. Install Python 2.7 or 3.4 (only required for Sigil 0.8.7)

2. In the Manage Plugins dialog box, click the Auto button(s).

3. Download the Sigil Plugin Guide, which contains many examples.
(Note that validation plugins require Sigil 0.8.7 or higher and hunspell plugins Sigil 0.8.9 or higher.)

4. Locate the plugin folder. If you have a Windows machine, press +R, enter the following path and press Enter:

Code:
%LOCALAPPDATA%\sigil-ebook\sigil\plugins
Create a test folder with two text files in it

Code:
plugin.py
plugin.xml
(The folder must be named test.)

5. Paste the following text into plugin.xml:

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<plugin>
<name>test</name>
<type>edit</type>
<author>test</author>
<description>test</description>
<engine>python2.7</engine>
<engine>python3.4</engine>
<version>0.1</version>
<oslist>unx,win,osx</oslist>
</plugin>
6. Paste the following sample code into plugin.py:

Code:
#!/usr/bin/env python
# -*- coding: utf-8 -*-
from __future__ import unicode_literals, division, absolute_import, print_function
import platform

# main routine
def run(bk):
    print('Python Laucher Version:', bk.launcher_version())
    print('Python Version:', platform.python_version())

print('\nDone.\n\nPlease click OK to close the Plugin Runner window.')
    return 0

def main():
    print('I reached main when I should not have\n')
    return -1

if __name__ == "__main__":
    sys.exit(main())
7. Restart Sigil and select Plugins > Manage Plugins > Edit > test.
If the plugin works, replace the code in Magenta with your own code.

Quote:
It must run under 3.4?
Since Sigil 0.8.9 comes with a bundled Python 3.4 interpreter, Python 3.4 is recommended.

Quote:
I guess there will be a mixture of plugins where i need to have the 2.7 still installed due to already available plugins, will there be a problem with the built in one?
Some older plugins require Python 2.7, but all plugins written by KevinH and DiapDealer support both Python versions.

Quote:
How does the decision work in Sigil what interpreter is to be used?
Sigil will use the interpreters in the order in which they're defined in plugin.xml.

Last edited by Doitsu; 10-28-2015 at 06:53 AM.
Old 10-28-2015, 07:45 AM   #98
rubeus
Banned
rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thx for the details. Especially 2) was very helpful as i had a wrong imagination about "built in python" and i was wondering that nothing worked as i didnt installed a python interpreter in my VM. I wasnt aware that there is a python interpreter as exe coming along with sigil which needs to be brought in here by the Auto button.

So i will see to change my plugins to be able to run without having the need to install a seperate python interpreter

Unfortunetly, the sigil-python3.exe cant run alone so i as a deverloper needs to have it installed and due the already existing 2.7 plugin i need to have the 2.7 interpreter installed as well.

Not an ideal sitiuation...

Nevertheless
Old 10-28-2015, 07:58 AM   #99
KevinH
Sigil Developer

I am happy to help any plugin developer convert their existing plugins from python 2.7 only to code that will work with both python 2.7 and python 3 at the same time.

Also, I am unsure what you mean by "sigil-python3.exe can't run alone". On Mac OSX the embedded python can certainly run alone and on Windows you should be able to use it to run your plugins as well. There will in fact be a new checkbox in Preferences for it.

So please explain what isn't working to use the embedded python to run plugins.

Thanks,

KevinH
Old 10-28-2015, 08:19 AM   #100
rubeus
Banned

Thx for the offer, but i will take the opportunity to do that by my own - learning by doing. Bit for sure i will come back if i encounter problems

I just tried to execute sigil-python3.exe outside sigil on a CLI and got the error

Code:
[C:\Program Files\Sigil\python3]sigil-python3.exe
Fatal Python error: Py_Initialize: unable to load the file system codec
LookupError: no codec search functions registered: can't find encoding
If i wont to try out things first by playing around a little bit i still need a "full" python interpreter
Old 10-28-2015, 08:48 AM   #101
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I just tried to execute sigil-python3.exe outside sigil on a CLI and got the error
You're not supposed to run sigil-python3.exe directly. It'll be run by Sigil with special command line parameters.
Old 10-28-2015, 08:59 AM   #102
rubeus
Banned

To be honest i would have been surpised if it worked but i just gave it a try to see if i can skip the installation of a separate python interpreter as i dislike to have things in double on my computer.
Old 10-28-2015, 09:32 AM   #103
KevinH
Sigil Developer

On a Mac it does work. The error sounds like python3 can not find its own standard library. Be careful that you do not have some Python environment variable set that points to Python 2.7 when trying to run Python 3.4.

KevinH
Old 10-28-2015, 09:34 AM   #104
rubeus
Banned

In the VM i'm playing around is no other Python installation
Old 10-28-2015, 09:40 AM   #105
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Okay, I will take a look at this and get back to you.

KevinH