Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-27-2019, 05:21 PM   #16
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindle101 View Post
I have a screenprint of the mobiMeta Editor for the dictionary file below having made the two changes.
Looks OK.

Quote:
I notice that 501 is EBSP and not EBOK like it is in the other dictionaries. I wonder does this have an impact?
Yes, change it to EBOK. (All my dictionaries have an EBOK entry.)

Quote:
Doitsu, when you open your updated dictionary for the first time - does it 'download' or does it open automatically?
It opens automatically.

Quote:
And if you look at the B005F12G6U folder afterwards in 'My Kindle Content' folder do you just have the .azw file?
No. Kindle for PC re-downloads/re-creates the .mbp and .phl files.

Quote:
My version of Mobi Meta Editor automatically creates another .azw file instead of a .mobi file - see screenprint - I don't know does this have any significance?
I don't think so. The most important thing is that the ASIN number and file name match the original file.

Change the book type to EBOK and if that doesn't help, change the file extension to .mobi and open it with Mobipocket Reader 6.2 or copy it to an eInk Kindle. (If it doesn't work with Mobipocket Reader or an eInk Kindle it won't work the the Kindle for PC app either.)

For testing purposes you could also download the monolingual Spanish/German dictionary, change its ASIN numbers (and file name) and copy it to the B005F12G6U_EBOK folder. Then open a book, look up a word and select the Dictionnaire français Cordial dictionary via the cogwheel. (If you get a Spanish/German definition, the method works.)
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 06:26 PM   #17
Kindle101
Kindle101 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post

Change the book type to EBOK and if that doesn't help, change the file extension to .mobi and open it with Mobipocket Reader 6.2 or copy it to an eInk Kindle. (If it doesn't work with Mobipocket Reader or an eInk Kindle it won't work the the Kindle for PC app either.)

For testing purposes you could also download the monolingual Spanish/German dictionary, change its ASIN numbers (and file name) and copy it to the B005F12G6U_EBOK folder. Then open a book, look up a word and select the Dictionnaire français Cordial dictionary via the cogwheel. (If you get a Spanish/German definition, the method works.)
I changed to EBOK - makes no difference unfortunately.

I downloaded mobipocket reader and the dictionary file.mobi is fully visible but I don't think it I can set it as a dictionary?

I also tried transferring the German monolingual dictionary into the French dictionary folder and was also unsuccessful... the french dictionary successfully downloaded as if there was no B005F12G6U_EBOK.azw file already in place.

This looks like it should be a simple operation so I wonder what the problem is

Would I need to look into document language of the dictionary for it to work?

Edit: I have the Kindle for PC Windows 8 Version if that matters...

Last edited by Kindle101; 01-27-2019 at 06:37 PM.
Kindle101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-28-2019, 02:15 AM   #18
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
This looks like it should be a simple operation so I wonder what the problem is
I really don't know what causes your problem.

You could also try the following:

a) If you have an iOS device, download the Kindle for iOS app, transfer the MOBI7/KFX version of the book with iTunes and download the free Oxford French-English dictionary.

b) Convert the book that you want to read with Calibre to a MOBI7 book and read it with Mobipocket Reader. Make sure to change the Mobi type to "old", before you convert the book. (Preferences > Output Options > Mobi Output > Mobi file type > old).

c) Set up Mobipocket Reader as a popup dictionary (Tools > Settings > Lookup > Enable Lookup in all Windows applications) and read your book with Calibre Book Viewer or another ebook viewer. (You'll also have to change the keyboard shortcut to F12.)
Old 01-30-2019, 11:12 AM   #19
xfnevado2
xfnevado2 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle pc
this only works for version 1.17 or earlier. try this version.
xfnevado2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 12:46 AM   #20
Skumar
Skumar began at the beginning.

Device: amazon kindle basic 8th generation
Mobipocket reader lookup

Quote:

c) Set up Mobipocket Reader as a popup dictionary (Tools > Settings > Lookup > Enable Lookup in all Windows applications) and read your book with Calibre Book Viewer or another ebook viewer. (You'll also have to change the keyboard shortcut to F12.)
Sir in my laptop F12 is assigned as wifi on/off key . is there other key we can use for mobipocket reader lookup.
Skumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-13-2019, 01:29 AM   #21
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skumar View Post
Sir in my laptop F12 is assigned as wifi on/off key . is there other key we can use for mobipocket reader lookup.
You can use pretty much any keyboard shortcut. I only suggested F12, because many apps don't use it. (To change the keyboard shortcut select Tools > Settings > Lookup > When I use this keyboard shortcut on selected word.)
Old 02-13-2019, 10:25 AM   #22
Skumar

Quote:
You can use pretty much any keyboard shortcut. I only suggested F12, because many apps don't use it. (To change the keyboard shortcut select Tools > Settings > Lookup > When I use this keyboard shortcut on selected word.)
In my case only F5 is inserted into keyboard shortcut all other keys do not apeear in that box. for example i insert f12 and box for shortcust remain blank. i also tried every other key. You know most app use F5 for refresh. So can you please help with this shortcut issue
Old 02-13-2019, 12:04 PM   #23
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
In my case only F5 is inserted into keyboard shortcut all other keys do not appear in that box.
You'll have to click the text box and then press the key that you want to use. (On my machine any single letter key works.) If it still doesn't work and you have a laptop, try connecting an external USB keyboard.
Old 02-13-2019, 08:59 PM   #24
Skumar

Quote:
You'll have to click the text box and then press the key that you want to use. (On my machine any single letter key works.) If it still doesn't work and you have a laptop, try connecting an external USB keyboard.
Sir i have laptop what is the difference between laptop keyboard and external keyboard
Also when i typed other key in box and save, it automatically revert to F5. i tried almost every single key on keybord. except F5 all other functional key not working . other than function key, all key revert back to F5. surprising?
here is a video that show how it revert
https://mega.nz/#!jypT0S7R!LP0vLrJzu...H4oL5DNgH8P2F0

Last edited by Skumar; 02-13-2019 at 09:57 PM.
Old 02-14-2019, 06:06 AM   #25
Skumar

with the help of fn key i can use F1 to F9 keys for lookup in mobipocket reader .
Old 02-15-2019, 08:28 AM   #26
3QVKwyNT9hR849t7
Connoisseur
3QVKwyNT9hR849t7 has a spectacular aura about3QVKwyNT9hR849t7 has a spectacular aura about3QVKwyNT9hR849t7 has a spectacular aura about3QVKwyNT9hR849t7 has a spectacular aura about3QVKwyNT9hR849t7 has a spectacular aura about3QVKwyNT9hR849t7 has a spectacular aura about3QVKwyNT9hR849t7 has a spectacular aura about3QVKwyNT9hR849t7 has a spectacular aura about3QVKwyNT9hR849t7 has a spectacular aura about3QVKwyNT9hR849t7 has a spectacular aura about3QVKwyNT9hR849t7 has a spectacular aura about

Device: PW4 32GB (G000 T607) 5.12.3
Quote:
In my case only F5 is inserted into keyboard shortcut all other keys do not apeear in that box. for example i insert f12 and box for shortcust remain blank. i also tried every other key. You know most app use F5 for refresh. So can you please help with this shortcut issue
Your Fx keys aren't Fx, you have them set on keyboard or in motherboard firmware(if laptop) to behave as if function key was pressed, you can toggle that.
3QVKwyNT9hR849t7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 10:33 AM   #27
Robbo43
Robbo43 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle for PC
This may or may not help someone struggling as I was.

I downloaded a dictionary which had a .prc extension which showed up as being kindle content, so I initially assumed I could follow the instructions in this thread and just rename it as a .azw file.

Wrong; after much frustration, I found zamzar (dot) com and converted the .prc file online to a .mobi, then everything worked like a dream. Following the instructions given above and renaming the .mobi to .azw, my dictionary works fine!

Last edited by Robbo43; 06-07-2019 at 10:37 AM.
Robbo43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 05:49 PM   #28
MandyShaw
MandyShaw began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PC and Android apps
I've just used this method very successfully with a Welsh-English .mobi file, worked like a dream. I just added the 113 entry (which was not previously set). NB I did all that in another folder before copying the file across to the .azw.
MandyShaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 01:20 PM   #29
Springfield
Springfield began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Dear Doitsu,

Don't know if you (or anyone) is still following this thread? I've just tried your method for getting my Kindle app on the PC to use an alternative dictionary when I highlight a word in French. This is a French/English dictionary (which is genuine Kindle download). Tried it a few times (I'm sure I've got all the stages correct) but it's refusing the play ball. The problem is that after I've replaced the internal (B005F12G6U_EBOK) dictionary, when I highlight a French word, the Kindle (again) downloads its own dictionary (which is French/French!) and it simply overwrites the 'B005F12G6U_EBOK' file.

Any ideas (if you're still out there)?

Thanks.
Springfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 01:51 PM   #30
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springfield View Post
Any ideas (if you're still out there)?
IIRC, commercial dictionaries contain two ASIN number metadata entries. Make sure that you change both of them with Mobi Meta Editor.