Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-20-2018, 02:07 PM   #1
loviedovie
Addict
loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: bookeen
Adding "translator" field

Hi

How can I add a field called "translator" that can viewed under "publisher" in the edit view? Is it possible?
loviedovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 06:10 PM   #2
BetterRed
null operator
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Do you mean position a custom column field (Translator) after the Publisher field in the metadata edit dialogue window?

If you do, then I don't think there's a way to mingle custom columns with the standard columns in that window. Have you tried the different values in Preferences->Behaviour->Edit metadata (single) layout:.

If you don't mean that, then "Please explain"

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 11:44 PM   #3
loviedovie
Addict
loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I want to add a "translator" (as the person who translates a book) field in the edit metadata window to separate a translator from the original writer, and I still want these 2 fields to be side by side if possible.

I looked at the setting you mention, but I am not sure if it entails what I am trying to achieve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Do you mean position a custom column field (Translator) after the Publisher field in the metadata edit dialogue window?

If you do, then I don't think there's a way to mingle custom columns with the standard columns in that window. Have you tried the different values in Preferences->Behaviour->Edit metadata (single) layout:.

If you don't mean that, then "Please explain"

BR
Old 06-21-2018, 01:17 AM   #4
BetterRed
null operator
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by loviedovie View Post
I want to add a "translator" (as the person who translates a book) field in the edit metadata window to separate a translator from the original writer, and I still want these 2 fields to be side by side if possible.

I looked at the setting you mention, but I am not sure if it entails what I am trying to achieve.
Add the translator custom column like so:

Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	164582

Where it appears in the MDE window depends on which MDE window layout you use (see previous post). But as previously stated you can't place (mingle/intersperse/mix) custom columns amongst the standard columns.

This limitation is one of the reasons I prefer to edit metadata in the book list using the F2, Tab, and Backtab keys. Using that approach allows me to place columns exactly as I want them, even move them around on the fly if needed.

This may be be tangentially relevant ==>> Preferences->Tweaks->Order of custom column(s) in edit

Quote:
Controls the order that custom columns are listed in edit metadata single and bulk. The columns listed in the tweak are displayed first and in the order provided. Any columns not listed are displayed after the listed ones [ . . . }
BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 10:07 AM   #5
DaltonST
Deviser
DaltonST is the One.DaltonST is the One.DaltonST is the One.DaltonST is the One.DaltonST is the One.DaltonST is the One.DaltonST is the One.DaltonST is the One.DaltonST is the One.DaltonST is the One.DaltonST is the One.

Device: 8" Win10 Tablet w/Calibre64
Update the Translator and Original Title custom columns automatically

Even better, let Calibre update the Translator and Original Title custom columns automatically for you instead of doing it manually.

See the attached.

DaltonST
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	js_translator_original_title_tool.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	164594  
DaltonST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 01:34 PM   #6
loviedovie
Addict

Thanks guys, this is really helpful.
Old 08-03-2019, 11:56 AM   #7
rebl
r.eads e.njoys b.ooks lol
rebl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaltonST View Post
Even better, let Calibre update the Translator and Original Title custom columns automatically for you instead of doing it manually.
DaltonST
Does this still work in 3.46? And the info to populate the columns -- where does it get from? I checked a few books with translator listed on amazon's site but the columns were not populated (and original title is usually not listed on amazon).

Edit: Finally got it to work. Lesson learnt:
- type of column matters (according to the tooltip: long text column - I had the translator column as comma-separated text with name checkbox checked)
- in the end I figured the info is extracted from inside the epub files
- order of lookup text matters e.g. earlier elements should not be shorthand versions of latter, otherwise part of the text will be included in the title

Last edited by rebl; 08-03-2019 at 06:56 PM.
rebl is offline   Reply With Quote