Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 03-31-2013, 03:08 PM   #31
alanHd
Addict
alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Ipod Touch, Ipad Air
The book i tried was James Herberts The Rats, i might retry when i have some peace, the kids are off for a week so its hectic,
alanHd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 05:26 PM   #32
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
I only listen to audio books if I'm doing something else. If the task I am doing doesn't require a lot of language processing, I can easily do that task and listen to an audio book. It keeps me from being distracted from my tasks. An audio book makes a long drive go a lot smoother.
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-31-2013, 06:37 PM   #33
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
When I first tried listening to them about 10 years ago, I couldn't get interested. I tried again about a year ago, and now I listen to audiobooks constantly when I'm driving, doing housework, trying to fall asleep, etc. It really is all about the narrator. Some are horrible, plenty of them are fabulous. Fortunately you can sample before buying.

I just finished listening to Wuthering Heights (a book I had never read), and I doubt I'd have made it through reading it myself, but the narrator really made me want to listen, even though the characters were rather hateful.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 08:53 PM   #34
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
I found that listening to audiobooks of genres I usually read was often frustrating since the pace was so much slower than I was used to when reading. Expanding my horizons and listening to genres I wouldn't normally read, non-fiction or classics for example, works for me.

Last edited by Synamon; 03-31-2013 at 08:56 PM.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 09:23 PM   #35
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
The low bandwidth used to frustrate me, so I avoided audiobooks. I discovered their usefulness when I had an active toddler/preschooler who always wanted to be "Outside! Outside!", so we spent long hours at the park. I had to keep my eyes on him while I sat and he played - you gotta love the suicide years - but this way I could read a book at the same time.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-31-2013, 11:09 PM   #36
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synamon View Post
I found that listening to audiobooks of genres I usually read was often frustrating since the pace was so much slower than I was used to when reading.
The nice thing about digital audio is that you can change the speed of the playback. I was listening to a non-fiction audiobook last week where the author was speaking v e r y s l o w l y. I upped the playback speed to 1.25x, and it was a much better experience for that book.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 06:07 AM   #37
applesauce
Addict
applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle oasis
I hate them, it is way to slow, and I hate the voices. I thought maybe I had picked a bad reader so went to youtube and sampled a couple dozen books. I hated them all.

Now radio plays are different, they are rather fun. Tho I have not listened to one in years.

applesauce
applesauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 08:26 AM   #38
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
I used to have zero appreciation for them, then, last summer, I borrowed one from the library just to try it again, with a genre I had never read before. Luckily, it was the best narrator (IMHO) I've ever heard, and I was totally hooked on both the genre and the format.

Now, I always listen to audiobooks when I drive, go running, and walk my dog, but there are genres I prefer to read, and genres I prefer to listen to: lighter literature works best in audiobok format for me, because I don't need to pay as much attention.

Now, had that first book been narrated by a boring voice, or had the book been bad, I may not have given them another chance, so it was pure luck that I picked up such a great one.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 09:01 AM   #39
usuallee
Media Junkie
usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H20, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by DianNC View Post
They're definitely not for everyone. I almost gave up on them...several times. Now I can't seem to live without them.
This. I had several false starts with audiobooks, I felt that I wasn't actually "reading" the book even though I knew that made no sense. I think the tipping point was last summer when I was reading Paul Murray's Skippy Dies - totally engrossed, and I was facing an eight hour car trip. That motivated me to sign up for Audible to be able to continue with this terrific book. It was a wonderful production - a good main narrator plus several voice actors, all with Irish accents - I was hooked. Soon after that, I checked out of my library The Passage by Justin Cronin, read by Scott Brick, an awesome narrator, and the rest is history.

Now for car rides, runs/ gym time, and laying in bed awaiting sleep - audiobooks have nudged aside listening to music to a significant degree. I recently listened to and enjoyed The Casual Vacancy by JK Rowling, narrated by Tom Hollander, another great narrator. I do find as someone mentioned that I turn up the speed to 1.2x to 1.4x, depending on the narrator. It approaches, though doesn't equal, my normal reading speed. Modern apps that allow variable speed actually made audiobooks far more appealing to me.

Bottom line for me is that audiobooks allow me to "read" in situations where reading is impossible - thus the ability to read more books!

Last edited by usuallee; 04-01-2013 at 09:03 AM.
usuallee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 09:21 AM   #40
Jabby
Jr. - Junior Member
Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Archos, Asus, HP, Lenovo, Nexus and Samsung tablets in 7,8 and 10"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
I recommend you try 'SUSPENSE.'
I did and I liked it.!!!
Karma to you - John
Jabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 09:27 AM   #41
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by usuallee View Post
Bottom line for me is that audiobooks allow me to "read" in situations where reading is impossible - thus the ability to read more books!
Exactly; and that's why my favorite "reading" device is a Sansa Clip Zip. It's always with me and loaded to the gills with audiobooks and other content.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 09:38 AM   #42
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
So much depends on the reader of an audiobook. There are those who just read them, but then there are truly excellent narrators who act he book, practically. The Harr Potter books are very well done, and I understand that the Briish version is even better. The full-cast version o Dune is spectacular, and has won awards. He James Marsters reading of the Dresdrn Files are also wonderful.

A poor narrator can ruin a good book, and an excellent narrator can make a not-so-good book be worth listening to.
If you don't mind my asking, who's the narrator for the Harry Potter books you're referring to?
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 09:42 AM   #43
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazella View Post
If you don't mind my asking, who's the narrator for the Harry Potter books you're referring to?
The narrator for the US/Canada versions is Jim Dale. For the UK versions it's Stephen Fry. Both are very good.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 09:42 AM   #44
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
--------
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 09:59 AM   #45
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
The narrator for the US/Canada versions is Jim Dale. For the UK versions it's Stephen Fry. Both are very good.
Thank you.
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote