Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-26-2024, 06:45 PM   #1
shyhermit
Connoisseur
shyhermit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.shyhermit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.shyhermit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.shyhermit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.shyhermit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.shyhermit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.shyhermit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.shyhermit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.shyhermit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.shyhermit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.shyhermit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: none
Alternative to Libra Colour Clear Case?

Had my first unintentional drop of the device. Survived. Instantly went to the store and bought the Libra Colour Clear Case. Hated it. Bulky. Very heavy (relative to the device) and slippy. Anyone with an alternative suggestion (I don't like the SleepCover type cases)?
shyhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2024, 10:05 PM   #2
Haesslich
Fanatic
Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch,Glo,Mini,Aura/HD/One,H20, Sony PRS-300/600, Kindle 3-PW
The Clear case is the thinnest and lightest case that's currently out there that will actually protect the device in a drop. That bulk is what keeps the shock of the drop from shattering the substrate.

The most protective cases are those sleep covers, so I can't think of anything that'll be thinner AND protective.

You can try washi tape up see if that'll give it a bit more grip, but it won't protect it b
Haesslich is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-26-2024, 10:15 PM   #3
shyhermit
Connoisseur
shyhermit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.shyhermit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.shyhermit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.shyhermit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.shyhermit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.shyhermit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.shyhermit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.shyhermit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.shyhermit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.shyhermit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.shyhermit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: none
Being a newbie Kobo user, am I correct that Kobo devices are NOT built to withstand any drop? I found only a single YouTube video on drop test on an old Kobo model, and no discussion widely elsewhere on whether or not Kobo devices can be used "naked" (as opposed to the Kindle, perhaps?). The thought did not even cross my mind until I dropped it this morning.
shyhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2024, 10:35 PM   #4
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
I've dropped all my kobos a number of times, and they have always been 'naked'. never broke any.

That being said, it is not designed to be a rugged device, the screen has a fragile glass substrate, and you are kind of taking your chances that you might break one along the way. Such is life.
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2024, 11:12 PM   #5
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
The odds of breaking it from a drop are higher than with an LCD device, as the screen is more fragile.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-27-2024, 08:14 AM   #6
Gone
Out of order
Gone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libra Colour
All my Kobo fell a couple of times on a wooden floor, over the years, 2–3 feet down. Luckily, no injury was ever reported. On concrete, I guess it may be another story.
Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2024, 12:39 PM   #7
imNOTdwight
imNOTdwight began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O
My libra h2o fell several times — the corners are all dented in one way or another, and nothing really broke.

What broke it was sitting on it, whilst having my phone in the back pocket. I heard a crack sound, got up immediately but there was it, laying on the couch, screen completely shattered.

Last edited by imNOTdwight; 05-27-2024 at 12:42 PM.
imNOTdwight is offline   Reply With Quote