Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-04-2016, 02:45 PM   #1
MarjaE
Guru
MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: multiple
What does it mean when the charging light starts flashing?

The charging light on my pre-used Kindle Dx sometimes flashes orange.

It's possible that it's just a bad electrical system. The Kindle has stopped flashing. The flourescent lamps can also flash a few times each second, especially when turning them on. I have some kind of strobe sensitivity to safety lights, so I could have similar problems due to the flourescent lights.

It's unlikely that it's a bad power adaptor. I'm currently using my third adaptor, with some success.

It's possible that it's a bad usb port and/or bad battery. I've ordered a new battery since the original runs down in about 2 days, with Wifi off. I might be able to check the usb port when I replace the battery.
MarjaE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 03:10 PM   #2
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarjaE View Post

It's possible that it's just a bad electrical system. The Kindle has stopped flashing. The flourescent lamps can also flash a few times each second, especially when turning them on. I have some kind of strobe sensitivity to safety lights, so I could have similar problems due to the flourescent lights.

It's unlikely that it's a bad power adaptor. I'm currently using my third adaptor, with some success.

It's possible that it's a bad usb port and/or bad battery. I've ordered a new battery since the original runs down in about 2 days, with Wifi off. I might be able to check the usb port when I replace the battery.
Trigger warning: Nerd humor attempt in progress:

It means a dead (or missing) battery that cannot be recharged. A kindle DX should not be able to make your fluorescent lamps flash unless it is drawing a lot of power, and that is likely to melt your USB cable.

A DX does not have any fluorescent lights of its own.

Replacing the battery should work in the case of a (regularly) flashing power LED. If it is irregular flickering, it might be a flaky USB cable OR a flaky USB jack on the kindle. Propping the cable at an angle might help make a better connection while inserted in this case.

Last edited by geekmaster; 07-04-2016 at 03:17 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-06-2016, 10:51 AM   #3
MarjaE
Guru
MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
A kindle DX should not be able to make your fluorescent lamps flash unless it is drawing a lot of power, and that is likely to melt your USB cable. ... A DX does not have any fluorescent lights of its own.
No, it shouldn't, and it doesn't.

I was just saying that the flourescent lamps do flash at a couple Hertz, especially when turning them on and off. They have always flashed. I know some people have suggested that they shouldn't flash, and that if they do, it implies bad wiring in the apartment.

Quote:
Replacing the battery should work in the case of a (regularly) flashing power LED. If it is irregular flickering, it might be a flaky USB cable OR a flaky USB jack on the kindle. Propping the cable at an angle might help make a better connection while inserted in this case.
And the Usb connection's also stuttering at a similar frequency, so I can't transfer files. It's probably the connection.
Old 07-06-2016, 10:59 AM   #4
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:

I was just saying that the flourescent lamps do flash at a couple Hertz, especially when turning them on and off. They have always flashed. I know some people have suggested that they shouldn't flash, and that if they do, it implies bad wiring in the apartment.

And the Usb connection's also stuttering at a similar frequency, so I can't transfer files. It's probably the connection.
He was attempting a joke.
I have to admit I wondered what app you had on your dx to make your bulbs flash.
Then I realized you were making a comparison. The bulbs flicker because they have to warm up. Now you know why if someone ever makes the comment they aren't supposed too. I assume you mean the tube lights not the CFL lights.

For the rest of your problems, more than likely it is the battery. Either that or Glen Campbell and Mel Tillis have taken over your dx.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 12:08 PM   #5
MarjaE
Guru

So, once I replace the batteries, the construction noise will stop and my health will recover.
Advert
Old 07-06-2016, 12:38 PM   #6
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
So, once I replace the batteries, the construction noise will stop and my health will recover.
More than likely.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 04:45 PM   #7
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
Quote:

Trigger warning: Nerd humor attempt in progress:

It means a dead (or missing) battery that cannot be recharged. A kindle DX should not be able to make your fluorescent lamps flash unless it is drawing a lot of power, and that is likely to melt your USB cable.

A DX does not have any fluorescent lights of its own.

If your overhead fluorescent room lighting is turning on and off a couple of times per second (i.e. flashing at 2Hz), that could cause a power surge in the kindle charging adapter if it is also being powered on and off twice per second. However, I think perhaps you mean "flickering", where the overhead lights are on continuously and you perceive some periodic flicker? Even then, such flickering could be caused by loose wiring (which may be a potential fire hazard) and if the situation affects the power outlet the kindle charger uses, this may cause charging problems. Your wording is not clear to me, but that is what I think now (before I thought you were saying the kindle power light was fluorescent and it was flashing). Perhaps both the overhead fluorescent lamps and the kindle power LED are flashing at 2Hz? I am sorry if I do not understand and have to guess at your meaning.

Also, as I previously said, blinking LEDs indicate a battery that will no longer hold a charge. in which case it must be repaired or replaced.

Here is a new replacement for $15USD: http://batterykings.com/amazon-kindl...tery-bb-209152
Quote:
Unless we are having a language translation barrier, "construction noise" means your neighbors must be rennovating their dwelling and it is disturbing you? I do not see how replacing your battery will make such noise stop. I do not see how replacing your battery or getting the construction noise to stop will affect your physical health. However peace and quiet can certainly give you comfort and relaxation and peace of mind. If I misunderstand you, it indicates a failure to communicate effectively and I am sorry for that. However, my best guess is that a replacement battery ($15 at the link I provided above) will solve all your ills. Believe it and be healthy.

Last edited by geekmaster; 07-06-2016 at 05:15 PM.
Old 07-07-2016, 09:36 AM   #8
MarjaE
Guru

I was referring to flashing at a couple Hz, not flickering. I also have trouble with the flickering of long-bulb flourescents, especially as they're buring out.
Old 07-08-2016, 11:17 AM   #9
geekmaster

Quote:
I was referring to flashing at a couple Hz, not flickering. I also have trouble with the flickering of long-bulb flourescents, especially as they're buring out.
As mentioned, that means you need a new battery. Not unusual for the age of a typcal Kindle DX. Only $15 at the link posted previously.

And if the fluorecent flickering is from bulbs dying of old age, that is not dangerous like flickering from damaged or loose wires, though certainly annoying. I have begun replacing some of my fluorescents with LED lamps, which should never flicker like that (and last much longer too). But new fluorescent bulbs are not terribly expensive if you wish to go that route when they become too annoying (the stress may not be worth waiting for them to die completely).

Last edited by geekmaster; 07-08-2016 at 11:22 AM.

Tags
charging light, flashing light, kindle, kindle dx