Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > KOReader

Notices

Old 07-06-2021, 01:02 PM   #1
KoboClaraHD609
Member Retired
KoboClaraHD609 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Question Manually adjusting the Brightness and Warmth

I've recently bought the Kobo Clara HD and installed KoReader on it. Since I only read at night in the dark before bed, I thought the blue light filter on the Kobo Clara HD would suffice for that (I'm very sensitive to bright and blue light before bed).

Unfortunately, even at 1% brightness and maximal warmth settings on KoReader, it's still way too bright. I haven't used my Clara in weeks now since it keeps me up at night.

I read that it's possible to configure the "sysfs_light.lua" settings in order to decrease the brightness and increase the warmth/red colors and have been tweaking around with it myself without any success so far. I've also tried the settings on the following site (https://github.com/koreader/koreader/issues/4186) but I'm not sure if I'm doing things correctly in the first place.

I was wondering if someone else has some premade settings for lowering the brightness and increasing the warmth/red colors (/limiting the blue light emitted from the device) or can point me in the right direction what settings I should change and in what manner (increasing or decreasing the value).

I already found some other topics related to decreasing the brightness by changing the internal light of the device, but I'm not a very technical person and don't want to risk the warranty of the device.

I've attached 2 notepad files with my original "sysfs_light.lua" settings for KoReader and the latest settings that I've experimented with.

Anyway, thank you for taking the time to read this post!
Attached Files
File Type: txt sysfs_light (ORIGINAL SETTINGS).txt (5.0 KB, 137 views)
File Type: txt sysfs_light (LATEST NEW SETTINGS).txt (5.0 KB, 138 views)
KoboClaraHD609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 01:33 PM   #2
pazos
cosiñeiro
pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BQ Cervantes 4
IIRC - I might be completely wrong:

The warmth is fixed to 10 values, all these covered by KOReader. So it is impossible to "add more red"
The brightness might be different: there're 255 values and we map those to 100 steps. So each new brightness step covers 2.55 values.

It should be barely perceptible, but you can try it yourself writting 1 to your device's sysfs node.

Something like
Code:
echo 1 > /sys/class/backlight/mxc_msp430.0/brightness
would give you the minimum brightness the HW is capable.
pazos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-06-2021, 04:28 PM   #3
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Yep, you'll have no control over the color mix on the Clara, only the brightness.

And I'm not entirely sure the scale isn't *already* 0-100 there, too?

IIRC, it *is* in the ioctl, which is what we use, and it also *is* for the sysfs *read* knob (actual_brightness), so, I'd assume it's the same for the *write* one .

EDIT: Yup, 1-100 on both counts over here (Forma & Elipsa).

(Which would mean, that, no, you can't do better than what's available in the UI).

Last edited by NiLuJe; 07-06-2021 at 04:30 PM.
NiLuJe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 02:19 PM   #4
KoboClaraHD609
Member Retired
KoboClaraHD609 began at the beginning.

Device: none
I see... that's unfortunate. Thank you for your replies the both of you! Very much appreciated!
KoboClaraHD609 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blue light, brightness, sysfs_light, warmth