Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-29-2020, 12:14 AM   #46
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Clara HD, Elipsa; Kindle Paperwhite 3 & 4; iOS eReader apps
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Ran across one site which posted an item claiming an anonymous source within Kobo stated the Kobo NoName is going to be using an eInk Kaleido colour display panel. This would match with other devices being released using that panel.

It looked rather similar to Nate Hoffelder's The Digital Reader blog where he mentions the Nia and hopes that it would have an eInk Kaleido though it is not mentioned in the electronic label. Other than the unnamed source, of course.

A color Kobo eReader that takes notes with a stylus? Sounds like a ReMarkable killer if true.

I was just about to buy a Libra off Walmart.com, but they are sold out and only highly marked up, third party offers are available (though not as grotesquely marked up as can be found on eBay.) Maybe I’ll pick up a Clara HD instead and wait to see what the new model looks like. (I tried to get a $50 Aura off Walmart two months ago, but they canceled my order).

A color Kobo is speculation right now. It’s more likely that the Nia is the new bottom end, filling the hole left by the discontinued Aura.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Cootey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 04:58 AM   #47
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cootey View Post
Very interesting! I only bump into the Kobo/Overdrive mismatched edition issue once a year, and get around it by borrowing the book on my Kindle, but I didn’t know that the Shine 3 has built-in Adobe DRM. Since I don’t have a Kobo ereader handy and can’t check, how does this differ from the Kobo? Can’t we log in with our Adobe DRM ID on a Kobo device?
You can authorise your Kobo device with an Adobe account. That allows you to sideload books with Adobe DRM using ADE. They don't download protected books. If you download an ACSM file, you will get a message about using ADE.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-29-2020, 05:25 AM   #48
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
A color Kobo eReader that takes notes with a stylus? Sounds like a ReMarkable killer if true.

I was just about to buy a Libra off Walmart.com, but they are sold out and only highly marked up, third party offers are available (though not as grotesquely marked up as can be found on eBay.) Maybe I’ll pick up a Clara HD instead and wait to see what the new model looks like. (I tried to get a $50 Aura off Walmart two months ago, but they canceled my order).

A color Kobo is speculation right now. It’s more likely that the Nia is the new bottom end, filling the hole left by the discontinued Aura.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
If you buy a Libra from Chapters in Canada, you'll save money because of the exchange rate. I bought my H2O from Chapters and I did save some money.

https://www.chapters.indigo.ca/en-ca...obo#internal=1
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 06:33 AM   #49
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Very interesting! I only bump into the Kobo/Overdrive mismatched edition issue once a year, and get around it by borrowing the book on my Kindle, but I didn’t know that the Shine 3 has built-in Adobe DRM. Since I don’t have a Kobo ereader handy and can’t check, how does this differ from the Kobo? Can’t we log in with our Adobe DRM ID on a Kobo device?
If the version of the book is matched, the Kobo/Overdrive experience is much, much nicer. But you can't borrow or buy an Adobe DRM'd ePub directly on a Kobo. Tolinos (and apparently a PocketBooks. I can't personally vouch for the PocketBook models) allow you to use the built-in browser to log into your library account and directly download and authorize a Adobe DRM ePub. I've also found several online eBook stores (that use Adobe DRM) where you can buy books directly with your Tolino or Pocketbook. Excruciatingly slow on the built-in browsers, however. But it's better than nothing as I don't have ADE on my Linux computer.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 08:50 AM   #50
Semwize
Guru
Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
I have the Glo HD and the Aura H20
I also have. Therefore, I understand what I am writing about. If Kobo Nia is an analogue of Tolino Page 2, buy Clara, definitely.

Last edited by Semwize; 04-29-2020 at 08:53 AM.
Semwize is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-29-2020, 09:49 AM   #51
petercreasey
Wizard
petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony: PRS 950 & T1, Kobo: Aura One & Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
You can authorise your Kobo device with an Adobe account. That allows you to sideload books with Adobe DRM using ADE. They don't download protected books. If you download an ACSM file, you will get a message about using ADE.
David, my KA1 is already set to use ADE successfully.

I doubt this is the case, but if you're saying I can use my KA1 to get books from Amazon using ADE, then please advise as to what I need to do.

Thanks.
petercreasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 09:49 AM   #52
the.Mtn.Man
Guru
the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I really hope it's not 6" and at least 7". a 6" color screen is almost worthless since those wanting color would most likely be reading things such as comics.
I would be in the market for a 6" color screen ereader. 6" is the perfect size for me because it fits easily in my pockets.
the.Mtn.Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 09:52 AM   #53
the.Mtn.Man
Guru
the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
If the version of the book is matched, the Kobo/Overdrive experience is much, much nicer. But you can't borrow or buy an Adobe DRM'd ePub directly on a Kobo. Tolinos (and apparently a PocketBooks. I can't personally vouch for the PocketBook models) allow you to use the built-in browser to log into your library account and directly download and authorize a Adobe DRM ePub. I've also found several online eBook stores (that use Adobe DRM) where you can buy books directly with your Tolino or Pocketbook. Excruciatingly slow on the built-in browsers, however. But it's better than nothing as I don't have ADE on my Linux computer.
Just another reason to look for DRM-free whenever possible. Having to jump through hoops in order to read a book you've legally purchased is stupid.
the.Mtn.Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 10:26 AM   #54
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
The Tolino will download the .acsm file and use it to download the epub on device. Kobo's ereaders don't have that functionality. The Adobe ID on the Kobo is intended to allow opening DRMed epubs that are transferred using ADE.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 10:28 AM   #55
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by petercreasey View Post
I doubt this is the case, but if you're saying I can use my KA1 to get books from Amazon using ADE, then please advise as to what I need to do.
Amazon does not sell epub ebooks either DRMed or DRM free so no chance of using ADE to download books from Amazon.
Old 04-29-2020, 11:44 AM   #56
rantanplan
Guru
rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite (2021), Boox Note Air 2+, Kobo Clara 2E, Tolino Vision 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I really hope it's not 6" and at least 7". a 6" color screen is almost worthless since those wanting color would most likely be reading things such as comics.
Given the low resolution of color pages, I wouldn't bet on a larger screen.
Would the ereader switch between low resolution color and monochrome hi-res page or would the ereader only have one mode per book which can either be hi-res monochrome or low-res color?
rantanplan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 11:54 AM   #57
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantanplan View Post
Given the low resolution of color pages, I wouldn't bet on a larger screen.
Would the ereader switch between low resolution color and monochrome hi-res page or would the ereader only have one mode per book which can either be hi-res monochrome or low-res color?
Given how little information is available on the e-Ink's Kaleido screen technology? My WEG would be that colour segments would render at 100DPI while black and white text would render at 300DPI. With that guess and $2, I could get a coffee at the local Starbucks—if it was open.
Old 04-29-2020, 12:51 PM   #58
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
colour segments would render at 100DPI while black and white text would render at 300DPI.
As soon as you add a colour filter, the visible monochrome resolution is the SAME as the colour resolution. 100 x 300 dpi at best.
Except with pure black and white (no greys) like text you can use subpixel addressing to pretend you still have 300 dpi horizontally by colouring the edges of the pixels.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ClearT...learType_works
Mac, Linux etc use the same scheme.
It does produce a visual effect similar to not having the colour filter because our colour vision is not as good at detail as contrasty monochrome. It's still not quite as good as a 300 x 300 dpi mono screen.

Unless you have an ACTIVE colour layer that can be switched to transparent, then the resulting effective monochrome resolution is perfectly equal to the colour resolution as adjacent R, G and B simulate by visual addition of the light to get the greys and white. I've never heard of any such active colour layer and if it existed, then three layers with Cyan, Yellow and Magenta would be nearly 3 times brighter and would not reduce the physical resolution.
Mention of 100 dpi means they are using side by side Red, Green and Blue filter dots, so the simplest brightest scheme is stripes, thus 100 x 300 dpi.
An alternate is the 150 dpi from 300 in BOTH directions by using a square of pixels, RG and GB. That's poorer for any cleartype scheme though can do brighter greens.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 01:18 PM   #59
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
The Linux Mint Subpixel font enhancement screen.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot at 2020-04-29 18-06-20.png
Views:	109
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	178914

As a side note, anything obvious to someone versed in the art shouldn't be patentable.
Software shouldn't be patentable. The USPTO gets more money from an approval than rejection. Checking for prior art costs money. The scheme is that anyone objecting should take the patent holder to court and get the patent declared invalid. You can imagine how well that works with large American Corporations.
Cleartype only works with dot addressable flat panel displays of high enough resolution so you don't see the fringing, black text on white, or possibly white on black and known layout. It's obvious to anyone versed in the art.

As an aside, my screen is about 160 dpi. The DPI setting on that panel sets the font size and spacing of elements. I always set it LOWER than the screen. I put it at about 66 on screens only 600 pixels high to fit enough text / windows etc and 72 on 768 high screens. My screen is 1920 wide 1080 high, a step back from my 2002 laptop for PDFs, which was 1600 x 1200.
I watch video on a big screen, 42" or 48". Never the laptop. Idiot PC makers.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 01:52 PM   #60
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by the.Mtn.Man View Post
Just another reason to look for DRM-free whenever possible. Having to jump through hoops in order to read a book you've legally purchased is stupid.
Hoops? Once you are setup to remove DRM, there are no hoops.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote