Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-22-2020, 07:24 AM   #16
Butterfly1234
Enthusiast
Butterfly1234 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Butterfly1234 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Butterfly1234 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Butterfly1234 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Butterfly1234 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Butterfly1234 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Butterfly1234 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Butterfly1234 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Butterfly1234 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Butterfly1234 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Butterfly1234 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara
I understand. I mainly buy books from Kobo, they are uploaded automatically to my Kobo, so I don't need to download and convert them.
I have a conversion program, but it's always a few minutes extra.

What about a bought Kobo-book. Would that matter if you'd have to read it on a different e-reader?
Butterfly1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 07:26 AM   #17
Butterfly1234
Enthusiast
Butterfly1234 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Butterfly1234 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Butterfly1234 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Butterfly1234 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Butterfly1234 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Butterfly1234 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Butterfly1234 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Butterfly1234 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Butterfly1234 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Butterfly1234 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Butterfly1234 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Isn't it so that only free books are DRM-free, or am I mistaken?
Old 05-22-2020, 07:30 AM   #18
Butterfly1234
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Star Trek, Tor, Baen are all DRM free.
Are these book stores? Providers? Do they have a website?
Old 05-22-2020, 08:44 AM   #19
ps67
Guru
ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Elipsa, Pocketbook Color PB633, Inkpad Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterfly1234 View Post
Isn't it so that only free books are DRM-free, or am I mistaken?
Obviously Free ebooks are generally without DRM, but publishers can decide not to apply DRM to their books also for non free books, they communicate it to the vendor.

In Kobo site if a book it is not with DRM You see it with something like "Donwload option EPUB 3 (DRM-Free)" at the bottom of the page (in the Italian site, I don't know elsewhere).

So: if You do not download it directly to the reader with wi fii but You download it into Your PC and then into Your Kobo it will be a Epub without DRM.
ps67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 10:28 AM   #20
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Are these book stores? Providers? Do they have a website?
Star Trek are books based on, you know, Star Trek.

Tor and Baen are publishers. They do have websites. However, buying these types of books from any bookstore *should* give you a DRM-free book. On Amazon, it used to say something like "at the publisher's request, this title is being sold without DRM" but I don't see that any more.

Last edited by ZodWallop; 05-22-2020 at 10:32 AM.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 02:35 PM   #21
james_
Connoisseur
james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3,Oasis, YotaPhone 2, Boox Note2, Mi Pad 4+, Kobo Mini & Forma
Go here.. https://www.ebooks.com/en-gb/drm-free/
james_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 03:09 PM   #22
TheSmitty
Addict
TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite SE, Libra 2, Oasis 3, Voyage, iPad Pro 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by james_ View Post
And just like that, I was able to by the book I wanted that is not available in USA but is in UK, Thanks!!!
TheSmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 03:44 PM   #23
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSmitty View Post
And just like that, I was able to by the book I wanted that is not available in USA but is in UK, Thanks!!!
Okay, I'm curious. What is the book you were looking for?

For me, it was The Town That Forgot How to Breathe, a Canadian literary horror novel that isn't available as an ebook in the US (or Canada for that matter).
Old 05-22-2020, 04:39 PM   #24
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Star Trek are books based on, you know, Star Trek.

Tor and Baen are publishers. They do have websites. However, buying these types of books from any bookstore *should* give you a DRM-free book. On Amazon, it used to say something like "at the publisher's request, this title is being sold without DRM" but I don't see that any more.
But if you get KFX, there is DRM even though the publisher wants no DRM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 06:36 PM   #25
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ps67 View Post
Obviously Free ebooks are generally without DRM, ...
If I wanted to be careful with my wording, I wouldn't say that it is "obvious ...". I just did a search on Kobo: keyword "the", and only show free items, and sort low to high; some have DRM, some don't. Maybe more have DRM.

I would say that if the book is under copyright, it is up to the publisher/author/copyright holder.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 06:54 PM   #26
TheSmitty
Addict
TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite SE, Libra 2, Oasis 3, Voyage, iPad Pro 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Okay, I'm curious. What is the book you were looking for?

For me, it was The Town That Forgot How to Breathe, a Canadian literary horror novel that isn't available as an ebook in the US (or Canada for that matter).
“Xeelee Omnibus” by Stephen Baxter. Many his recent stuff is available in USA but this collection of older novels is not other than in paperback
TheSmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 08:37 PM   #27
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
But if you get KFX, there is DRM even though the publisher wants no DRM.
That's why I said *should*

Hey, I know you use Tux as your icon, though you don't use Linux. Do you use Thunderbird?
Old 05-22-2020, 08:47 PM   #28
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSmitty View Post
“Xeelee Omnibus” by Stephen Baxter. Many his recent stuff is available in USA but this collection of older novels is not other than in paperback
Huh, I just looked at Stephen Baxter earlier. I didn't notice that the Xeelee Omnibus was a UK only thing. I'll wait for a sale on it though.
Old 05-23-2020, 12:53 AM   #29
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
What about a bought Kobo-book. Would that matter if you'd have to read it on a different e-reader?
If you want to read on another device or app, you can download the book directly from the Kobo store. This will give you the epub version. Some will have DRM, some won't.

Or, if you are a calibre user, there is the Obok plugin that is part of the DRM removal tools. That can get the kepubs that have been downloaded with the Kobo desktop application.

And as the others have pointed out, DRM doesn't really have anything to do with how much is charged for a book. There are plenty of publishers or authors selling books that don't have DRM. And there are books with DRM that are free. Not a many because if you are using Adobe DRM, they take their cut for each book.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 08:58 AM   #30
Butterfly1234
Enthusiast

In Kobo site if a book it is not with DRM You see it with something like "Donwload option EPUB 3 (DRM-Free)" at the bottom of the page (in the Italian site, I don't know elsewhere).

So: if You do not download it directly to the reader with wi fii but You download it into Your PC and then into Your Kobo it will be a Epub without DRM.[/QUOTE]

-------

I just checked my book collection on the Kobo website and I checked a Kobo e-book that I got for free. When I click download, it just shows "DRM-free E-EPUB."