Notices

Old 05-09-2020, 12:33 PM   #91
avresbo
Enthusiast
avresbo began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD / Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Do you really want to artificially stretch the cover so it looks odd?
!Yes!

I use to add width="100%" in my cover html. After converting to kepub it works on Sigil but not on my reader (Libra H20)
Thanks.

Last edited by avresbo; 05-10-2020 at 08:02 AM.
avresbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 09:03 PM   #92
nikev
Connoisseur
nikev began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 505
Hi,

I just downloaded kepubify for Mac OS. I had a couple of problems installing; after following the instructions, the binary could not be run from the command line. Manually directing terminal to the downloaded binary didn't work either, since it's not code signed and therefore blocked by Apple.

I eventually got the program to work by authorizing it in the security preference pane, but the executable is still not found and one has to direct the terminal to it manually via ./kepubify.

Is this the expected behaviour?

Also, when trying to run it on batch conversion I got a number of files skipped for no apparent reason. Any idea why this might be?

Nike
nikev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 10:17 PM   #93
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikev View Post
I eventually got the program to work by authorizing it in the security preference pane, but the executable is still not found and one has to direct the terminal to it manually via ./kepubify.

That syntax is common to Unix and it's derivatives (Linux, FreeBSD and yes, Mac OSX).
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 10:27 PM   #94
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Quote:
Also, when trying to run it on batch conversion I got a number of files skipped for no apparent reason. Any idea why this might be?
Can you give an example filename which was skipped, and the command line used for kepubify?
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 10:36 PM   #95
nikev
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
That syntax is common to Unix and it's derivatives (Linux, FreeBSD and yes, Mac OSX).
I know the syntax; however, the kepubify documentation suggests that the direct command

kepubify /path/to/the/book.epub

should work. However it does not work this way.

Edit: my bad. I missed the line in the docs which says "For the following examples, replace kepubify with the path to the downloaded kepubify."

Sorry.

Last edited by nikev; 05-11-2020 at 10:40 PM.
Old 05-11-2020, 10:38 PM   #96
nikev
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by geek1011 View Post
Can you give an example filename which was skipped, and the command line used for kepubify?
one of the skipped files was

/Dropbox/Calibre Library/Rafael Sabatini/Scaramouche (1255)/Scaramouche - Rafael Sabatini.epub

I invoked kepubify via

./kepubify-darwin-64bit --update --inplace --calibre ~/Dropbox/Calibre\ Library/
Old 05-11-2020, 11:15 PM   #97
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

/Dropbox/Calibre Library/Rafael Sabatini/Scaramouche (1255)/Scaramouche - Rafael Sabatini.epub

I invoked kepubify via

./kepubify-darwin-64bit --update --inplace --calibre ~/Dropbox/Calibre\ Library/
Now there is a very, very bad idea. Keeping your calibre library on Dropbox or any cloud storage is a matter of when not if bad things will happen. For one recent discussion, see My Calibre Library is Blank and won't accept the old location in the calibre forum.

You may also want to check the calibre FAQs for I am getting errors with my calibre library on a networked drive/NAS?. The first line of item is: Do not put your calibre library on a networked drive.
Old 05-12-2020, 12:59 AM   #98
nikev
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Now there is a very, very bad idea. Keeping your calibre library on Dropbox or any cloud storage is a matter of when not if bad things will happen. For one recent discussion, see My Calibre Library is Blank and won't accept the old location in the calibre forum.

You may also want to check the calibre FAQs for I am getting errors with my calibre library on a networked drive/NAS?. The first line of item is: Do not put your calibre library on a networked drive.
Thanks for the tip.

That Calibre FAQ says further down that file syncing mechanisms like Dropbox or rsync are okay! Personally, I have been using Dropbox for at least two years without event. Otherwise it is a nuisance to get books from one machine to another.
Old 05-12-2020, 01:14 AM   #99
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
AFAIK, the only platform where Dropbox is still a dumb file syncing mechanism happens to be Linux.

On macOS & Windows, I'm pretty sure it's been "upgraded" to a fancy in-kernel networked filesystem shim that may eat your data when trying to do fun stuff like that.

(fair warning: I barely use Dropbox).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 09:25 AM   #100
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

I invoked kepubify via

Has that file already been converted (i.e. does /Dropbox/Calibre Library/Rafael Sabatini/Scaramouche (1255)/Scaramouche - Rafael Sabatini.kepub.epub exist)? If you want to re-convert everything, you need to remove the --update.
Old 05-12-2020, 10:18 AM   #101
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Thanks for the tip.

That Calibre FAQ says further down that file syncing mechanisms like Dropbox or rsync are okay! Personally, I have been using Dropbox for at least two years without event. Otherwise it is a nuisance to get books from one machine to another.
I'm assuming that you are referring to the paragraph I'm quoting below? One co-worker does this using some batch file magic. Stop the file sync, start calibre, exit calibre, restart file sync. And yes, it works for a while until the ooopss moment. You forget and run calibre directly while file syncing is still happening, you update calibre and it auto-runs, whatever else Murphy comes up with. That's why so many posts about issues in the calibre forum read: I've been using Whoever's cloud storage for my calibre library for years and now I have corruption issues. How do I fix these?

"If you must share the actual library, use a file syncing tool like DropBox or rsync instead of a networked drive. If you are using a file-syncing tool it is essential that you make sure that both calibre and the file syncing tool do not try to access the calibre library at the same time. In other words, do not run the file syncing tool and calibre at the same time."
Old 05-13-2020, 12:07 AM   #102
nikev
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by geek1011 View Post
Has that file already been converted (i.e. does /Dropbox/Calibre Library/Rafael Sabatini/Scaramouche (1255)/Scaramouche - Rafael Sabatini.kepub.epub exist)? If you want to re-convert everything, you need to remove the --update.
Thanks. That makes sense. I was indeed trying to re-convert everything.

Nike
Old 05-13-2020, 12:53 AM   #103
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Quote:

Unlike Windows, the current folder that you're in is intentionally not in the path that is searched for executables (You can see the search path with echo $PATH) in Unix derived OSes (including MacOS) because that is a potential security risk, so typing ./ before a local executable is perfectly normal and expected.
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 02:28 PM   #104
geek1011
Wizard

kepubify v3.1.3

I've released kepubify 3.1.3.

This release simplifies the scanning code for seriesmeta/covergen, changes the default Windows binary from the website to 64-bit, and adds 64-bit ARM builds.
Old 07-09-2020, 01:00 PM   #105
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Is it possible to have an option for kepubify to place the output kepub in the source directory for the input epub. Unless I am misunderstanding the options, as the current options stand unless I know where I want the file placed and use the --output option, the resultant kepub is written to the current directory not the source directory.

Tags
conversion, epub, kepub, kepubify