Notices

Old 04-30-2009, 02:06 AM   #16
leandroide
Zealot
leandroide has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Papyre 6.1 (Hanlin V3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nohmi2 View Post

It's one of the best books of fiction that I have read in a long while.

It's the first of the 'Millenium' series - as far as I know it's a trilogy, but there could be a fourth.

You do not have to read pages and then get into the heart of it. It wasn't over-descriptive, nor troughs of navel-gazing.

It's also intelligent and does not talk down to the reader.

As soon as I put it down, I couldn't wait to get my paws on the follow-up.

I read the first in Spanish, and completely agree... Now, I have the second in my reading list, and will have to wait to June 23th for the third.

Just a comment: I think that the writer died just before the publication of the first book, and I think that he left only three books written. I'm afraid that there won't be a fourth...

L.
leandroide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 06:38 AM   #17
Format C:
Guru
Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iLiad + PRS-505 + Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
Can someone give me opinions on The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo? I keep hearing so many good things about it.
I read it in Italian, and I don't know nothing about English versions, nor original ones (can't read Swedish at all).

I like it very much, like the other two.
I bought two copies each, just to strip the cover and scan them with an ADF, and have a iLiad-formatted pdf version of those.

As a whole, the trilogy make a good mystery book.
The first, the best. It's the only self-contained one: second and third are just two volumes of the same story.
In the end it looks like the author was writing to get some movie dollars from Hollywood, and the storyline weakens.

But it's a very good reading, one of the best mysteries of the last decade.

Format C: is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-30-2009, 06:39 AM   #18
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelC View Post
I wouldn't worry too much about holding off. The first book at least is very self-contained and reads extremely satisfyingly as a stand alone. The reason everyone is so anxious for the other two is because he did such a good job with the first one and the expectations are therefore high for the last two.

Mel

ETA: If you have any friends who are in or will be in Europe any time soon you may be able to pick up book two sooner since it has been released in English over there - my sister picked up one on her way home from Spain last week. Not sure what the status of the English version of book three is but I seem to recall someone in Europe/UK saying they expected it this summer?

M
i want to wait to have all three because quite a few of my friends have read them and they say that once you start you can't stop, you have to go on to the next one. like litterary crack or something. one of my friends told me she planned to take a break after the second one and read something else ; the next time i saw her she was reading the third one. "i couldn't help myself" she told me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by leandroide View Post
I read the first in Spanish, and completely agree... Now, I have the second in my reading list, and will have to wait to June 23th for the third.

Just a comment: I think that the writer died just before the publication of the first book, and I think that he left only three books written. I'm afraid that there won't be a fourth...

L.
yes, that is true. originally he planned for (i believe) 9 books, but only had time to complete 3 of them before his untimely death. i've heard rumours of more or less advanced manuscripts and notes, but i don't know whether anyone is planning to try to complete them... (if they exist, i wouldn't be suprised, given the huge success of the first three).
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 06:46 AM   #19
Format C:
Guru
Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
:It's the first of the 'Millenium' series - as far as Iknow it's a trilogy, but there could be a fourth.

I'd be surprised, given Larsson's death...
There have been rumors about a fourth novel, but it's actually the fifth (the fourth has never been written).

I hope it'll never be published, but I'm afraid the lust for money will spoil this series also...

I've also heard rumors about a Swedish movie from the first one, produced by Henning Mankell...
Old 04-30-2009, 06:48 AM   #20
Format C:
Guru

I just found a movie trailer:

http://video.libero.it/app/play/inde...9db0ba09156a1b
Advert
Old 04-30-2009, 06:48 AM   #21
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Format C: View Post
I'd be surprised, given Larsson's death...
There have been rumors about a fourth novel, but it's actually the fifth (the fourth has never been written).

I hope it'll never be published, but I'm afraid the lust for money will spoil this series also...

I've also heard rumors about a Swedish movie from the first one, produced by Henning Mankell...
it's already in theaters here...
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 06:50 AM   #22
tech_au
Oz Bookworm
tech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony PRS 505,PRS 650
I also liked the first novel. A bit more confronting that the usual ebooks I read but I liked it a lot. I thought he died after writing the second one but it looks like he wrote 3 before the sudden heart attack claimed him.
tech_au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 07:57 AM   #23
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
i want to wait to have all three because quite a few of my friends have read them and they say that once you start you can't stop, you have to go on to the next one. like litterary crack or something. one of my friends told me she planned to take a break after the second one and read something else ; the next time i saw her she was reading the third one. "i couldn't help myself" she told me.
And they can be re-read. I re-read the first two when the third was finally published 2007 (in Swedish). Then I re-read all three in 5 days or so one year later and I have thought about re-reading them all once more...
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 09:33 AM   #24
MelC
Evangelist
MelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it is

Device: Cybook Gen3, PRS600
Quote:

It's the first of the 'Millenium' series - as far as I know it's a trilogy, but there could be a fourth.
Unfortunately the author passed on at a young age from a heart attack after writing the third book so any possibility of a fourth (at least a fourth written by Stieg Larsson) is unlikely.

Mel

ETA: MUst read full thread before posting! Obviously it has already been pointed out that he has passed on.

Last edited by MelC; 04-30-2009 at 09:36 AM.
MelC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 04:20 PM   #25
YGG-
Dry fruit
YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Bookeen Opus + HTC Desire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible View Post
[...] Then again the story is powerful but does not, as the first one, end there, it is continued in the third book. I haven't read it yet. YGG tells me it is the best of the three. [...]
I confirm : in it all stories get to an end, and it's rather surprising to the end....
YGG- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 04:43 PM   #26
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
But the second books has an ending so you will not feel cheated. But some things will only be resolved in the third book.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 05:40 PM   #27
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Arrrrrrgh! SSsstop! It's making me crazy,now I have to go out and get that last one...
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 07:55 PM   #28
Laz116
Guru
Laz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Sony PRS-700
Ha, I remember reading the back flip of the first book in the series at my girlfriends place back in the days. I thought it sounded extremely cheasy. But it seem to be a raving success (even the movie has gotten good reviews). So I'll probably succumb and get it over with (and enjoy the process)
Laz116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 12:53 AM   #29
nohmi2
Pensively observing.
nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Varied.
Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible View Post
Arrrrrrgh! SSsstop! It's making me crazy,now I have to go out and get that last one...
I managed to get the second one at Borders yesterday.
Ahh....the bliss of a good book, some dark chocolate and a glass of red wine.

Life doesn't get much better than that.
nohmi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 12:36 AM   #30
nohmi2
Pensively observing.
nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Varied.

I have been on the site for Stieg Larsson, and notice that there are a few books by Asa Larsson, who also seems to write Mystery/Crime novels.

Has anyone read any of her books, and if so, can you recommend them?
nohmi2 is offline   Reply With Quote