Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 11-23-2013, 02:47 PM   #1
Lucause
Lucause began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook lux 623
Saving looked up words in dictionary?

Hi there,
I am Czech and the main reason to buy e-book for me was the quickness of looking up English words while reading English written book. However, I can not memorize their meaning just by looking them up and so I would like to save all words I look up into some .txt file.

Paperwhite 2 comes with pretty much the same feature I am looking for.

My question is - Is here some easy solution to do this, or do I have to program this functionality by myself? And in the second case, where should I start to get into the programming for pocketbook?

Have a nice rest of the day,
Lucause
Lucause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 04:52 PM   #2
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
I don't think you can change the reading apps that are installed on the device. AdobeViewer is closed source, and I don't think they've released the source code for the newer versions of pdfviewer and fbreader. You might be able to get this to work with CoolReader, which is open source. I would send a pm to @pkbo to see what he thinks about trying this. He ported CoolReader to the older devices, and knows something about the port to the Touch devices.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-23-2013, 07:38 PM   #3
Lucause

Well that is unfortunate... could I find somewhere documentation, tutorials or something on how to start programming for pocketbook? I have only found pocketbook free project and Russian forums. I am not sure if I am missing something or the lack of information about anything is real. Could someone point me in the right direction?
Old 11-26-2013, 03:48 AM   #4
pkbo
Addict
pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
AdobeViewer is closed source, and I don't think they've released the source code for the newer versions of pdfviewer and fbreader.
Correct, the last sources they released two years old and as far as I remember they did not include makefiles or some scripts allowing to build binary. I think someone could try to request the newest sources. In theory the shouldn't refuse because fbreader is under GPL. I don't know if they still develop pdfviewer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
You might be able to get this to work with CoolReader, which is open source. I would send a pm to @pkbo to see what he thinks about trying this. He ported CoolReader to the older devices, and knows something about the port to the Touch devices.
Yes this is doable, but one will have to implement touch control first. This version contains some changes in this direction, I heard that dictionary already works but it is also closed source.
pkbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 03:54 AM   #5
pkbo
Addict
pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucause View Post
Could someone point me in the right direction?
You need PocketBook SDK. It contains some samples. Here you can find official documentation
And here is unofficial.
pkbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-26-2013, 04:23 AM   #6
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I should also point out that no released SDK version includes functions for the multi-touch interface. @DmitryZ uploaded a newer version of the inkview.h header file, which includes descriptions of the multi-touch functions. It is impossible to link a program with those functions using the SDK's libinkview.so library file, though. I got around it in the pbimageviewer application by dynamically linking those functions only when the program is being run on a Touch device. You can get the source code for the application in the relevant thread and see how that's done, or take a look at this thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=197207. I think you could also try copying the libinkview.so file from your device and linking against that when building your application. The application would not work on the other non-Touch devices, but you probably don't care about that.
Old 11-26-2013, 03:07 PM   #7
Lucause

Thank you

Thank you all for all that info. I am especially thankful for the documentation. I am a bit sorry, that it cannot be done somehow easily. It would be such a perfect feature... now I am stuck with pen & paper / notes (half a minute to add one word).
Old 11-26-2013, 04:19 PM   #8
rkomar
Wizard

If you want to save some time, you could take a screen shot every time you have a word in the dictionary. Later on, you can go through the saved images and update your list all at once, or just leave them as is so that you can see both the word and the definition. I have the screen shot action mapped to the double press of the power button to make it easy to access. You can do that mapping via the Settings>Personalize>Key_Mapping>Global menu. All screen shots end up in the /screens folder in internal memory.
Old 11-26-2013, 04:27 PM   #9
Lucause

Good idea

That might actually work! Thank you.

Maybe I could then get the words from the screenshots by loading them into some OCR software telling it to read the word few pixels among the word selecting line... cause I cannot add few lines of code into closed source program. :/

Last edited by Lucause; 11-26-2013 at 04:37 PM.

Tags
dictionary, dictionary output, memorizing, pocketbook, programming