Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 01-11-2013, 04:20 PM   #1
Sabardeyn
Guru
Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre), Nexus 7 2013 (Moon+ Pro), HTC HD2/Leo (Freda)
Managing book title display

I have two related questions about book titles. I'm not sure which way I want to implement things - I think it's going to depend on what I can (or cannot) do. So if anyone can answer these two issues, I would appreciate the help.

1) Is there an equivalent to a Manage Title process, similar to Manage Authors, that can be used in bulk through out the database? Basically I'm looking to set title_sort=title for all books with a red title_sort background.

I added a bunch of books and then decided to go with strict_alphabetic. Now I need to change them all but cannot recall every book. So if I could do this through the entire database, or a subset, it would be (potentially) easier.

2) Is there a way to get calibre to display book titles in library sort order, assuming default display method?

For instance, if there was a book called "The Fly", calibre (with default settings) would place this book in the F section of the book list. However, the title would still appear as "The Fly". Scanning the book list, I see a T and get confused because I'm in the F section. What I would prefer is having the book display under F, but as "Fly, The". Is this possible?

If you have an alternate suggestion, please feel free to add a comment. Thanks for any help or suggestions.
Sabardeyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 06:44 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Titles don't have (Tag Browser) 'Sections' Like Series or Authors or Tags.

They do 'Group' when sorted and Appear as you say: The Fly till sort as 'Fly' and Show as 'The Fly'

You could Manually 'Copy(-Invert)' the Title/Title sort: Fly, The and Fly, The
and live with 'the Red'

BTW The Quality Check PI will find the (standard usage) 'Red' (x)_Sorts, Which allows a Bulk Edit *fix*
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-11-2013, 07:23 PM   #3
colinsky
Addict
colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, PRS-T1, PRS-T3
Add a custom column with a template of
{title_sort}
colinsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:27 AM   #4
Sabardeyn
Guru
Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre), Nexus 7 2013 (Moon+ Pro), HTC HD2/Leo (Freda)
Just wanted to say Thanks to both of you.

For my purposes a combination of the two responses handled what I wanted to do. I reset Preferences>Tweaks>Control sorting of Title and Series to library_order (the default).

Then I created a custom column based off of other columns and set the template to {title_sort}.

Now my book titles are showing up as "Fly, The" - just as I wanted them. And, since the title and title_sort info are not being altered, no red background. (So I can do a search later on for incorrect data without getting lots of false responses.)

Finally, I hid the original title column (right click column heading in book list) and everything is set as wanted for the book title... now to tackle the next portion!

BTW, sorry for asking about the sort order when it's clearly stated in the Tweak, but honestly, after trying several different ways to get things set-up the way I wanted them... and failing, I couldn't see the forest for the trees as it were. Not even the digital trees.
Sabardeyn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
library order, manage title, strict_alphabetic, title sort