Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-04-2008, 03:12 PM   #1
sealbeater
Banned
sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505 : Onyx Boox Max : Sony PRS-900 : Onyx Kepler Pro
problems with large text files.

I have a couple of text files, ranging in size from 6megs to 10megs. I can view them fine in any text viewer, but the Sony Reader shows 1 page out of 1 and an triangular warning symbol. Now, what's interesting is that one of those files, the History of the Decline and Fall of Rome was previously viewable but now is not. Has anyone discovered a fix for this or know if this is going to be addressed in the next firmware release? I am going to try taking the files off and re-adding them, perhaps deleting the Sony Reader dir. Thanks in advance for any info.
sealbeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 05:21 PM   #2
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
The things you're trying sound like good first steps.

Just to clarify: these are .TXT files? That's what it sounds like you're saying, but I'm not sure I'm reading it right.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-04-2008, 08:33 PM   #3
mcramer
Kiwi reader
mcramer has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mcramer has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mcramer has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mcramer has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: iPad, iPhone
Have you tried converting them to lrf files just to see if the extra efficiency of the format helps?

I've run into problems with large rtf files (my preferred longer term storage format) and this has often made a difference.
mcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 09:18 PM   #4
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Large Text Files

Read those large text files with Notepad or Word. Trying to use eBook Library or the PRS 505 for that purpose is WRONG and will only cause trouble.

Each type of file has a related reader and should only be read by that specific reader. The same is true for PDF files. Use Adobe Reader for them.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 11:39 PM   #5
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I'm afraid I don't see it that way, sirmaru. The Reader supports TXT and RTF natively, I don't see any reason to torture myself by reading a large file in one of those formats on a computer monitor.

As mcramer pointed out, the thing does sometimes have issues with really large files in those formats, but converting them to LRF does usually take care of the problem, and it's just not that hard to do.

Certainly I don't see it as a matter of definitive Right or Wrong either way.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-05-2008, 05:10 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
Read those large text files with Notepad or Word. Trying to use eBook Library or the PRS 505 for that purpose is WRONG and will only cause trouble.

Each type of file has a related reader and should only be read by that specific reader. The same is true for PDF files. Use Adobe Reader for them.
What an odd thing to say. The Reader supports text files; there's absolutely nothing "WRONG" in using it to read them.

There is a size limit for various file types (it appears, for example, to be about 13MB for RTF files). It probably would be better to convert the text file to LRF using a tool such as BD or txt2lrf.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 01:12 PM   #7
sealbeater
Banned
sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'll try txt2lrf but I've stayed away from the libprs500 apps because of the dependencies, I don't want to install all of the gui stuff for a command line tool , but I'll see, the weird thing is that for the larger one, the Decline of the Roman Empire, it actually read it once, I have a bookmark to verify, it lists the number of pages (5077) but no go. I'm going to either move the files to the memory stick or delete the Sony Reader dir on my SD card. Will post results.
Old 02-05-2008, 02:21 PM   #8
sealbeater
Banned

Well, interstingly enough, when I renamed the Sony Reader dir on my SD card, that enabled me to read Edward.Gibson-The.Decline.and.Fall.of.the.Roman.Empire.txt @ 9.1M Now, the other, Albersons-blah.blah.blah@ 5.9M cannot be read. The only difference between the two is that one is ASCII and the other is ISO-8859.

Edward.Gibbon-History.Of.The.Decline.And.Fall.Of.The.Roman.Empir e.txt: ASCII English text, with very long lines

Alberts-Molecular.Biology.Of.The.Cell.4th.Ed.txt: ISO-8859 English text, with very long lines

So, I'm going to convert the iso-8859 to ASCII and see if I get a better result, I'll post the commands I use (I am a full time linux user so everything I do is geared towards that, I use .txt files primarily obtained from pdftotext. So, minor mystery, I'll post updates)
Old 02-05-2008, 03:58 PM   #9
sealbeater
Banned

Well, that fixed it. I'm not sure what the file size limit is but if you have a .txt file and you can't read it on the Sony Reader, you might want to check the encoding. This is what I did to convert the file.

iconv -f ISO_8859-2 -t ASCII -c Alberts-Molecular.Biology.Of.The.Cell.4th.Ed.txt.bak > Alberts-Molecular.Biology.Of.The.Cell.4th.Ed.txt

The -c gets rid of illegal characters. So, problem fixed, happy reading all!!
Old 02-05-2008, 05:53 PM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Change it to UTF8 you should still be able to read it and see the special characters.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 12:15 PM   #11
recycledelectron
Groupie
recycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-books

Device: Lifebook T5010
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post

Simaru, based on my experience, that's insane. Have you had problems with file formats other than LRF on the PRS-505? I've found that it displays most of the formats listed well. (DOC was a lie ... but ... what product's box is entirely honest?)

The comments that the PRS-505 can not do something drive me nuts. This morning, I was pounding my keyboard so hard that my Diet Dr. Pepper spilled ... I was ticked because some moron said the PRS-505 "was not designed to play MP3s" After a sarcastic reply that Sony must have included the headphone jack by accident, I cleaned up my keyboard.

Andy
recycledelectron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 03:38 PM   #12
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by recycledelectron View Post
(DOC was a lie ... but ... what product's box is entirely honest?)
Was it? I don't see any mention of DOC on the box. And on the site it clearly says:
Quote:
Microsoft® Word (Conversion to the Reader-requires Word installed on your PC)
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote