Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-28-2012, 02:07 AM   #1
ger1972
ger1972 plays well with othersger1972 plays well with othersger1972 plays well with othersger1972 plays well with othersger1972 plays well with othersger1972 plays well with othersger1972 plays well with othersger1972 plays well with othersger1972 plays well with othersger1972 plays well with othersger1972 plays well with others

Device: Kindle NT
Kindlets crashing

Hi folks,

I've started getting a problem with any kindlets I try to run. They all crash with a java.security.AccessControlException...

See below for the exception generated by Snakes and KCalculator.

Anybody come across this and know what's causing the issue?

Thanks, Ger

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

[28/06/2012 05:52] Snake Game (v. 1.0)

java.security.AccessControlException: access denied (java.util.PropertyPermission java.verbose read)
at java.security.AccessControlContext.checkPermission (Compiled Method)(AccessControlContext.java:278)
at java.security.AccessController.checkPermission(Com piled Method)(AccessController.java:463)
at java.lang.SecurityManager.checkPermission(Compiled Method)(SecurityManager.java:537)
at java.lang.SecurityManager.checkPropertyAccess(Comp iled Method)(SecurityManager.java:1285)
at java.lang.System.getProperty(Compiled Method)(System.java:603)
at java.awt.MWGraphicsConfiguration.dprintln(MWGraphi csConfiguration.java:77)
at java.awt.MWGraphicsConfiguration.createCompatibleI magePSD(MWGraphicsConfiguration.java:88)
at java.awt.MWImage.<init>(MWImage.java:101)
at java.awt.MWOffscreenImage.<init>(MWOffscreenImage. java:42)
at java.awt.MWToolkit.createImage(MWToolkit.java:365)
at java.awt.Component.createImage(Component.java:1935 )
at com.anmipo.kindle.snake.GamePanel.reinitPaintBuffe r(Unknown Source)
at com.anmipo.kindle.snake.GamePanel.access$200(Unkno wn Source)
at com.anmipo.kindle.snake.GamePanel$1.componentResiz ed(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Component.processComponentEvent(Component .java:3110)
at java.awt.Component.processEvent(Component.java:307 8)
at java.awt.Component.dispatchEventImpl(Component.jav a:2310)
at java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Component.java:21 97)
at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(EventQueue.java: 609)
at java.awt.EventQueueProxy.dispatchEvent(EventDispat chThread.java:353)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEvent(EventDis patchThread.java:164)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispa tchThread.java:154)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispa tchThread.java:149)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(EventDispatchThre ad.java:134)
at java.lang.Thread.startup(Thread.java:1066)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[28/06/2012 05:52] Snake Game (v. 1.0)

java.lang.NullPointerException: null
at com.anmipo.kindle.snake.GamePanel.paintBuffer(Unkn own Source)
at com.anmipo.kindle.snake.GamePanel$UpdaterThread.ru n(Unknown Source)

06:05] Kalculator (v. 0.0.2)

java.security.AccessControlException: access denied (java.util.PropertyPermission java.home read)
at java.security.AccessControlContext.checkPermission (Compiled Method)(AccessControlContext.java:278)
at java.security.AccessController.checkPermission(Com piled Method)(AccessController.java:463)
at java.lang.SecurityManager.checkPermission(Compiled Method)(SecurityManager.java:537)
at java.lang.SecurityManager.checkPropertyAccess(Comp iled Method)(SecurityManager.java:1285)
at java.lang.System.getProperty(Compiled Method)(System.java:603)
at java.awt.MWFontMetrics.getFontMetrics(Compiled Method)(MWFontMetrics.java:206)
at java.awt.MWGraphics.getFontMetrics(Compiled Method)(MWGraphics.java:309)
at com.amazon.ebook.framework.gui.foundation.zb.setFo nt(lkb:1477)
at com.amazon.ebook.framework.gui.foundation.zb.<init >(Compiled Method)(lkb:90)
at com.amazon.kindle.kindlet.internal.portability.ui. k.<init>(rbb:117)
at com.amazon.kindle.kindlet.internal.portability.ui. wb.HE(mbb:528)
at com.amazon.kindle.kindlet.ui.KTextArea.FQA(adb:565 )
at com.amazon.kindle.kindlet.ui.KTextArea.<init>(adb: 82)
at org.kalc.Main.create(Main.java:87)
at com.amazon.kindle.kindlet.internal.lifecycle.b.cal l(mtb:242)
at edu.emory.mathcs.backport.java.util.concurrent.Fut ureTask.run(wr:361)
at edu.emory.mathcs.backport.java.util.concurrent.Thr eadPoolExecutor.zw(rt:888)
at edu.emory.mathcs.backport.java.util.concurrent.Thr eadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(rt:634)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:989)
ger1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 05:53 AM   #2
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
What Kindlets did you try otherwise? Some kindlets rely on a customized security profile (in addition to the developer keys).

Edit: Those kindlets usually mention this fact in the README or forum post the developer wrote.
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-28-2012, 06:46 AM   #3
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawhill View Post
What Kindlets did you try otherwise? Some kindlets rely on a customized security profile (in addition to the developer keys).

Edit: Those kindlets usually mention this fact in the README or forum post the developer wrote.
The OP mentions Snakes and KCalculator. I do not know if they were the same versions, but the snakes and calculator I ran on my K3 did not need any special security profile.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 06:46 AM   #4
ger1972
ger1972 plays well with othersger1972 plays well with othersger1972 plays well with othersger1972 plays well with othersger1972 plays well with othersger1972 plays well with othersger1972 plays well with othersger1972 plays well with othersger1972 plays well with othersger1972 plays well with othersger1972 plays well with others

These two and the kapp kindlet. I had the kapp kindlet working previously without needing to change the security profile.

I must have broken something
Old 06-28-2012, 07:00 AM   #5
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ger1972 View Post
These two and the kapp kindlet. I had the kapp kindlet working previously without needing to change the security profile.

I must have broken something
What version is your computer? You can backup your /etc/shadow files (main and diags), then use the "simple debricking" method to go back to a clean (no hacks) kindle, then install updates and hacks as you wish...
Advert
Old 06-28-2012, 07:28 AM   #6
ger1972

Its a Kindle NT 4.1.0.

I had considered de-bricking but it seemed a bit drastic. But I'll give that a go.

Thanks!
Old 06-28-2012, 08:33 AM   #7
geekmaster

Quote:
Its a Kindle NT 4.1.0.

I had considered de-bricking but it seemed a bit drastic. But I'll give that a go.

Thanks!
Use the 4.1.0 main from hostar (in the forensic download MIRRORS). Unless your 4.1.0 kernel is some funny patched version from a OTA update, your existing kernel should work fine. It has been reported that the root pw for hostar's main image is "mario".

Last edited by geekmaster; 06-28-2012 at 08:37 AM.
Old 06-28-2012, 03:00 PM   #8
ger1972

Actually, I've realised the error of my ways. I'd made a change to external.policy which I've now removed and everything is working again...
Old 06-28-2012, 11:26 PM   #9
geekmaster

Quote:
Actually, I've realised the error of my ways. I'd made a change to external.policy which I've now removed and everything is working again...
It is always better to simply repair your damage if you can (as you did).

The "simple debricking" (restoring "unhacked" firmware image) method was created to make debricking (or hack removal) simple and generic, with minimal required technical analysis (for noobs and busy experts). It has come in handy as relatively painless step in the "edit/compile/upload/test/debrick" development cycle.