Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-19-2011, 04:12 PM   #1
Nana Sarah
Nana Sarah began at the beginning.

Device: T-Mobile HTC HD2, WinMo 6.5
is it possible that Calibre is causing this issue?

I've been reading on my T-Mobile HTC HD2 phone using a free epub reader called Freda (XDA developers) that runs on WinMo 6.5. Most everything is fine, both with Calibre for my library and with Freda for my phone.

However, I have an odd problem with some of the free books that I've gotten from Gutenberg and Baen, to wit, when I read them in Freda, em dashes (Alt 0151) in the text are replaced by this combination: — (0226 0128 0148).

At least one other book, from Amazon, also has em dashes, but they display just fine on my phone in Freda. I've opened the files in Sigil to look for anything that might be controlling the character set or font, but I'm new to CSS and am not finding anything obvious. Sigil sees the characters in the free books as em dashes, too.

Now, I seriously doubt the problem is Calibre, because both Calibre and the Barnes and Noble Nook for PC display the em dashes properly. I've posted in the Freda forum, but not gotten a response yet, so I thought I'd check here on the off chance that Calibre does something to the files that might cause this odd behavior.

So, if anyone has any thoughts, I'd be grateful to hear them.
Nana Sarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 04:43 PM   #2
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nana Sarah View Post
So, if anyone has any thoughts, I'd be grateful to hear them.
If you want to read my recent experience with emdashes, see here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=146331
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert