Notices

Old 09-22-2011, 03:49 AM   #151
LowKe35
heh... I'm a member
LowKe35 began at the beginning.

Device: Pocket eDGe
Quote:
Originally Posted by telymanbws View Post
I was adding an edit when my airport shut down. It's actually a few files zipped into one. Includes both Ermine and Dingo if you need to go back to 1.6. Also has manuals.
Nice file. I gave it a whirl, and this time there was a tiny cursor blinking in the LCD top-right during load screen. I know it was reading my USB drive (same as last attempts) by an on-stick LED indicator. Alas, it doesn't work for me. I've tried holding the buttons for the recommended 10 seconds, 1min, and 2mins. All attempts have written a 'LOST.DIR' directory to the thumb drive, but it's empty, and I'm still stuck on 1.6.

Thanks, anyway

One thing: the file I got from you (update file) is 144,248 KB (140MB). The other one, from OP, is identical in size.

Last edited by LowKe35; 09-22-2011 at 03:51 AM.
LowKe35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 06:39 AM   #152
obsessed2
Wizard
obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocket Edge X 2 , Edge, gTab, Kindle Fire, Nextbook 7S
Quote:
Originally Posted by genenPE View Post
Hi Obsessed2,
I registered yesterday and wrote a short message that included my questions as well.
I probably did somthing wrong, because when I logged in today (with some difficulty, as it didn't recognize my username/password, so it was reset by sending me email with the temp password), it still tells me that I need to introduce myself. However, when I click on my user name it shows my message, but as a visitor. What should I do, to be recognized as a member? It's not really important, as long as I can read messages and participate, if needed.
I also want to thank you for very good instructions how to upgrade to Ermine 2.2.1. It worked perfect for me. Do you know why I cannot see videos on YouTube on my PE?
genenPE
Welcome. Glad to hear the update worked. A lot of users say they are having problems. It is a fairly large file and even the slightest download glitch could be what is rendering it useless. For your YouTube problems I point you to this thread:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=150306
obsessed2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-22-2011, 06:48 AM   #153
obsessed2
Wizard
obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowKe35 View Post
Nice file. I gave it a whirl, and this time there was a tiny cursor blinking in the LCD top-right during load screen. I know it was reading my USB drive (same as last attempts) by an on-stick LED indicator. Alas, it doesn't work for me. I've tried holding the buttons for the recommended 10 seconds, 1min, and 2mins. All attempts have written a 'LOST.DIR' directory to the thumb drive, but it's empty, and I'm still stuck on 1.6.

Thanks, anyway

One thing: the file I got from you (update file) is 144,248 KB (140MB). The other one, from OP, is identical in size.
Sometime these downloads can be a little fickle due to file size. Also, you may want to Quick format the thumb drive before copying the update.zip to it or even try another thumb drive or a SD card. The reason I say this is because I bought a brand new external SD card formatted FAT by default (which most USB drives and SD cards are) and when I put it into my full-size Edge it didn't recognize it. It gave me a Damaged SD Card Error and said You may have to reformat it. My computer recognized it with no problem and after I did a Quick Format my Edge recognized it too.

Below is a link to another Ermine Version that has been modded. The users that put this package together have gone to great lengths to provide all Edge owners with an alternative OS with some enhancements over the Entourage Ermine build. At first I thought this Mod required a rooted Edge but that is not the case. After reading the entire post many Edge owners have reported success with this Ermine Mod. I applaud their efforts and hope they will continue in their efforts which will greatly benefit the entire Edge community. Good luck and hopefully you can get your Edge upgraded.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=141833

Last edited by obsessed2; 09-22-2011 at 07:52 AM.
Old 09-22-2011, 10:05 AM   #154
DianNC
Banned
DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Entourage Pocket Edge, iPod Touch 5th Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowKe35 View Post
I'm no nubb..
I could tell you aren't I simply wanted to point out that others here have had luck renaming the file 'update' without adding the file extension since Windows will sometimes do that and then you end up with a file named .zip.zip.

I, on the other hand, am a newbie. I did manage to get Mark Rehorst's update installed on the first try and under 2 minutes
DianNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 10:14 AM   #155
Hutchanaut
Hutchanaut began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed2 View Post
Sometime these downloads can be a little fickle due to file size. Also, you may want to Quick format the thumb drive before copying the update.zip to it or even try another thumb drive or a SD card. The reason I say this is because I bought a brand new external SD card formatted FAT by default (which most USB drives and SD cards are) and when I put it into my full-size Edge it didn't recognize it. It gave me a Damaged SD Card Error and said You may have to reformat it. My computer recognized it with no problem and after I did a Quick Format my Edge recognized it too.
Similarly, my update didn't work until I reformatted my thumb drive to FAT32 (as it says to do in the instructions).
Hutchanaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-23-2011, 12:56 AM   #156
LowKe35
heh... I'm a member
LowKe35 began at the beginning.

Cool

ARRRGH. I've been attempting the up/g with a FAT32 stick, have reformatted a few times, tried with FAT, a different USB stick (access confirmed), 3 different Ermine zips, and nada...

So, I went against my better judgment and used the micro-SD from my EVO 4G with the Ermine v1.02...

Disco! I'm in business and the SD card's integrity wasn't compromised at all. Thanks for all the support, guys. 'preciate it. Now I can get on with the fun stuff!
LowKe35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 09:49 AM   #157
genenPE
genenPE began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed2 View Post
Welcome. Glad to hear the update worked. A lot of users say they are having problems. It is a fairly large file and even the slightest download glitch could be what is rendering it useless. For your YouTube problems I point you to this thread:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=150306
Thank you for pointing me to the YouTube problems thread.
I also like to download to my PC first and then to my PE (via USB cable) I have 802.11n Wireless LAN card on my PC, but I don't know how to use it with my PE. I connect my PE via my router using WiFi. That's how I connect to the Internet and download ebooks directly to my PE.
About YouTube problems: what is the least painful and most reliable application to use to watch videos on YouTube (I can watch videos on Yahoo)?
I should probably post this question on the thread you pointed to, but I don't want to be on different threads, unless it is really necessary.
genenPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 12:34 PM   #158
obsessed2
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by genenPE View Post
Thank you for pointing me to the YouTube problems thread.
I also like to download to my PC first and then to my PE (via USB cable) I have 802.11n Wireless LAN card on my PC, but I don't know how to use it with my PE. I connect my PE via my router using WiFi. That's how I connect to the Internet and download ebooks directly to my PE.
About YouTube problems: what is the least painful and most reliable application to use to watch videos on YouTube (I can watch videos on Yahoo)?
I should probably post this question on the thread you pointed to, but I don't want to be on different threads, unless it is really necessary.
To transfer files using wireless from your PC to your PE you have to setup file sharing on your PC. If you are running a software based firewall on your PC you will also need to Share Network Resources or set the Trust Level to Shared in the firewall. This setting will vary by firewall. Once you do that it is just matter of following the steps in the Sticky. It really is pretty simple once you figure it out.

As far as YouTube, the simplest method is to use a browser that supports video playback from Youtube on the eDGe. Another forum member pointed out that Miren browser will play videos directly from youtube.com as well as xScope browser. Links to these browsers are in the Sticky as well. Let me know if you have any other questions or need more assistance.

As far as YouTube
Old 09-25-2011, 12:32 PM   #159
birdheh
birdheh began at the beginning.

Device: pocket entourage
New user, just got mine from Woot. Would have been lost without this site, even better than XDA for the Edge. Updated to Ermine 2.2 right away and all is running great. I have a folder in drop box just for apk and makes life easy. Got swype working, all my emails and even VOIP without a glitch.
This device is 10x what I was hoping for, now, to just avoid the WSOD.
birdheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 12:40 PM   #160
obsessed2
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdheh View Post
New user, just got mine from Woot. Would have been lost without this site, even better than XDA for the Edge. Updated to Ermine 2.2 right away and all is running great. I have a folder in drop box just for apk and makes life easy. Got swype working, all my emails and even VOIP without a glitch.
This device is 10x what I was hoping for, now, to just avoid the WSOD.
Welcome. Glad to hear someone was actually able to upgrade quickly and without a headache. The DropBox apk folder is an excellent idea. Especially if you ever have to go back and re-install an App. I do a similar thing where I try and download all apks using a PC and then transfer to the eDGe. This allows me to have a backup of the App. As far as the WSOD, I wouldn't worry too much about it. It is a rare occurrence and in my opinion more apt to be a hardware problem then a software problem. Good luck and enjoy your PE.
Old 09-26-2011, 10:26 AM   #161
Smileyknows9591
Smileyknows9591 began at the beginning.

Device: Pocket Edge
Can't get the book from Google books on to my PE - Help!

Great help here so far getting my PE set up with Ermine, email etc.. Now I followed directions in this thread and bought a book from google books but there is not an option as described when I click on the cover to download to my device. Any suggestions? Thanks.
Smileyknows9591 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 12:16 PM   #162
obsessed2
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smileyknows9591 View Post
Great help here so far getting my PE set up with Ermine, email etc.. Now I followed directions in this thread and bought a book from google books but there is not an option as described when I click on the cover to download to my device. Any suggestions? Thanks.
The procedure for ebooks from Google came from Entourage right before they shut down. However, here is a link to Google which explains hows to transfer your books. Thanks for pointing out the problem and I'll update this in the Sticky.

http://books.google.com/support/bin/...&answer=179863
Old 09-27-2011, 09:22 AM   #163
data
data began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage Edge
How to set location in PockeEdge

I appologize if this has been already discussed. I ipdated to Ermine 2.2. Now whenever I am trying to run Google Maps and trying to get direction, it is showing a message that set your location in the system setting. But there is no way to set locations in Setting. I checked all of the options in the sub menu. So how do I set the location?

Any help here will be highly appreciated.
data is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 05:33 PM   #164
NatLoc
NatLoc began at the beginning.

Device: EE Pocket
Fabulous compilation of information. I have a PE and followed how to put Ermine on. I am pouring through this site but there are some things I just "don't get" yet. Pardon my stupidity, but I have downloaded a book from SlideMe and would like to read it on the E-ink side. I think I understand that it needs to be in my "Library" to read it in E-Ink; however, I cannot figure out how to get it INTO the "Library"....any ideas or am I missing something...?????
NatLoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 08:17 PM   #165
obsessed2
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatLoc View Post
Fabulous compilation of information. I have a PE and followed how to put Ermine on. I am pouring through this site but there are some things I just "don't get" yet. Pardon my stupidity, but I have downloaded a book from SlideMe and would like to read it on the E-ink side. I think I understand that it needs to be in my "Library" to read it in E-Ink; however, I cannot figure out how to get it INTO the "Library"....any ideas or am I missing something...?????
I tried to download a couple off free e-books from Slideme but they download as apk which mean they are an App file. I tried using the eDGe and a PC and both download as an App which means you probably won't be able to read them on the e-ink. I'll keep experimenting to see if I can get an e-book from Slideme to work on the e-ink and in the meantime maybe another forum member will read this post and have an immediate answer.

Update: I haven't any success getting an ebook from Slideme to the e-reader. Sorry.

Last edited by obsessed2; 09-29-2011 at 06:51 PM.