Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-28-2010, 05:03 PM   #1
organized_chaos
organized_chaos began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone, Sony PSP, Android, Kindle
epub to PDF?

Calibre is a great program! I love it. I have used it to convert books into Mobi format to read on my iPhone's Kindle app. However, now I want to convert some epub books to pdf format to read on my Sony PSP using Bookr. If I download a pdf file from the internet, it works fine. If I convert epub to pdf using calibre I can't read it on my computer or on my PSP. It shows as an empty file (0kb).

I am using Ubuntu 10.04, not Windows. Is there a dependency I might need to make this conversion work? Or is there something else I am missing?

I see tons of stuff about converting pdf to epub, I need to go the other way around so none of that is helping me.

Last edited by organized_chaos; 12-28-2010 at 05:08 PM.
organized_chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 07:05 PM   #2
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Are there any errors?

Try running:

Code:
$ ebook-convert in.epub out.pdf
in a terminal and see if it produces any errors. Also see if it is really producing a 0kb file.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-28-2010, 10:56 PM   #3
organized_chaos

Thanks for the tip. Here is the output of that command. I have no idea how to fix these errors.
Code:
kenny@Kenny-Laptop:~/Calibre Library/J. R. R. Tolkien/The Two Towers (5)$ ebook-convert LOTR2.epub LOTR2.pdf
1% Converting input to HTML...
InputFormatPlugin: EPUB Input running
on /home/kenny/Calibre Library/J. R. R. Tolkien/The Two Towers (5)/LOTR2.epub
Parsing all content...
Property: Invalid value for "CSS Fonts Module Level 3 @font-face properties/CSS Level 2.1" property: itlaic [50:2: font-style]
Guide reference 'OEBPS/cover-mono.xml' not found
34% Running transforms on ebook...
Merging user specified metadata...
Detecting structure...
	Detected chapter: Chapter 1
	Detected chapter: Chapter 2
	Detected chapter: Chapter 3
	Detected chapter: Chapter 4
	Detected chapter: Chapter 5
	Detected chapter: Chapter 6
	Detected chapter: Chapter 7
	Detected chapter: Chapter 8
	Detected chapter: Chapter 9
	Detected chapter: Chapter 10
	Detected chapter: Chapter 11
	Detected chapter: Chapter 1
	Detected chapter: Chapter 2
	Detected chapter: Chapter 3
	Detected chapter: Chapter 4
	Detected chapter: Chapter 5
	Detected chapter: Chapter 6
	Detected chapter: Chapter 7
	Detected chapter: Chapter 8
	Detected chapter: Chapter 9
	Detected chapter: Chapter 10
Flattening CSS and remapping font sizes...
Source base font size is 9.00000pt
Cleaning up manifest...
Trimming unused files from manifest...
Property: Invalid value for "CSS Fonts Module Level 3 @font-face properties/CSS Level 2.1" property: itlaic [206:1: font-style]
Creating PDF Output...
67% Creating PDF Output
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/calibre/calibre/ebooks/pdf/writer.py", line 130, in _render_html
    self._render_book()
  File "/usr/lib/calibre/calibre/ebooks/pdf/writer.py", line 105, in _render_book
    self._write()
  File "/usr/lib/calibre/calibre/ebooks/pdf/writer.py", line 141, in _write
    outPDF = PdfFileWriter(title=self.metadata.title, author=self.metadata.author)
TypeError: __init__() got an unexpected keyword argument 'title'
PDF output written to /home/kenny/Calibre Library/J. R. R. Tolkien/The Two Towers (5)/LOTR2.pdf
Output saved to   /home/kenny/Calibre Library/J. R. R. Tolkien/The Two Towers (5)/LOTR2.pdf
To determine file size I issued this command:
Code:
kenny@Kenny-Laptop:~/Calibre Library/J. R. R. Tolkien/The Two Towers (5)$ stat -c %s LOTR2.pdf
The result is 0. Here is a screenshot of the file browser in the GUI which confirms that result:
Old 12-29-2010, 07:38 AM   #4
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
How did you install calibre? Did you install it though Ubuntu's software repository? I'm thinking you did and the Ubuntu packagers have a bad habit of breaking calibre (as well as other apps) by never testing or using any help they've been offered from upstream. Almost every Ubuntu version has shipped with calibre broken...

pyPDF is used and the bundled version that has some changes to upstream is not being used in your conversion. Install using the binary installer from http://calibre-ebook.com and you will be fine.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 06:07 PM   #5
organized_chaos

I installed it from Ubunut's Synaptic Package Manager. Using the binary installer from your link worked. I successfully converted one book already so I should be able to convert the rest.

Thank you for your assistance.
Advert