Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-30-2009, 09:27 AM   #1
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Why use collections?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
Why?

Why do you use collections? How will it improve my book reading/handling? How do you recomend (if you do recomend,) setting them up?
Thanks.

Stitchawl
The reason I use collections is to keep my content organized so I can find what I am looking for easily. It's not as good as true folders. But think of collections as a 1 level folder and you'll understand what they are.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 10:01 AM   #2
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Same as above, it's a quick way to access books in a series, or a particular author instead of trawling through the alphabetical menus. I've also started putting on my own work when I'm editing, because I catch more errors when I'm reading on the Sony than on the computer screen - i have these under a collection called Editing.
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 10:05 AM   #3
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
actually i'm starting to think collections might be *better* than folders. i can add more than one tag to a book and it will then appear in several collections (like : i can add "mystery" and also "french" and the same book will be in both) which you can't do with folders. i use tags which make sense to me ; so i can make a collection by genre, by language, by use (i put all the dictionaries together under "reference")... and, if i just want to browse all the books in my library by title or author i can do that too.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 10:18 AM   #4
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
actually i'm starting to think collections might be *better* than folders. i can add more than one tag to a book and it will then appear in several collections (like : i can add "mystery" and also "french" and the same book will be in both) which you can't do with folders. i use tags which make sense to me ; so i can make a collection by genre, by language, by use (i put all the dictionaries together under "reference")... and, if i just want to browse all the books in my library by title or author i can do that too.
We must distinguish here between eBook Library Collections and Calibre.

When you say "i can add more than one tag to a book" do you mean you can put the same book into different collections in the eBook Library?

WDE.
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 10:48 AM   #5
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetdogeared View Post
We must distinguish here between eBook Library Collections and Calibre.

When you say "i can add more than one tag to a book" do you mean you can put the same book into different collections in the eBook Library?

WDE.
yes ; i add tags using calibre, you're right, but calibre creates a collection for *each* tag i add ; so of course it's best not to add 300 tags. but i like it, that way i can put a book in more than one collection rather than trying to choose which is better and easily find it however i look.
Old 03-30-2009, 10:48 AM   #6
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Yes, I believe you can. But that is what tags in calibre do. IF you have a book with two tags, when you "send to reader" that book should be in both collections named for that tag.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 10:49 AM   #7
zelda_pinwheel

oh wait, when you say "ebook library collections" do you mean the sony app on the pc ? in that case i don't know. i'm talking about collections i see on the 700 ; i don't use the sony app at all.
Old 03-30-2009, 10:52 AM   #8
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
oh wait, when you say "ebook library collections" do you mean the sony app on the pc ? in that case i don't know. i'm talking about collections i see on the 700 ; i don't use the sony app at all.
Yes, you can have the same ebook in multiple collections in the eBook Library software. I just tried it to double check.

BOb
Old 03-30-2009, 11:00 AM   #9
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Quote:
yes ; i add tags using calibre, you're right, but calibre creates a collection for *each* tag i add ; so of course it's best not to add 300 tags. but i like it, that way i can put a book in more than one collection rather than trying to choose which is better and easily find it however i look.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Yes, I believe you can. But that is what tags in calibre do. IF you have a book with two tags, when you "send to reader" that book should be in both collections named for that tag.

BOb
I was aware that I could put a book in more than one collection in eBook Library.

The only confusing part was that there was no mention of Calibre up to this point. I assumed you were referring to Calibre tags; a newer member, from which this question was posed, might not have made that connection.

WDE.
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 11:04 AM   #10
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
I was aware that I could put a book in more than one collection in eBook Library.

The only confusing part was that there was no mention of Calibre up to this point. I assumed you were referring to Calibre tags; a newer member, from which this question was posed, might not have made that connection.

WDE.
you are right, sorry i was not clear ; since i only use calibre, i sometimes forget that not everyone does, and that there is actually a sony app that can be used.
Old 03-30-2009, 11:48 AM   #11
radamo
Addict
radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Oasis 9th Gen
Please clarify this for me (new 505 owner)... So far I have been using the Sony eBook Library app to set up my collections. I saw the "tag" feature in Calibre but was unsure what it would do. Are you saying by adding tags to my books in Calibre that when I send them to the Sony it will put them into Collections of the same name?

That would be great.

Thanks,
RA
radamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 11:54 AM   #12
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by radamo View Post
Are you saying by adding tags to my books in Calibre that when I send them to the Sony it will put them into Collections of the same name?
Yes that is correct. The same thing happens for series too.

BOb
Old 03-30-2009, 11:54 AM   #13
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Yes, Calibre will create collections on the Sony using both the "tags" and the "series" info about a book.
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 12:11 PM   #14
Xenophon
curmudgeon
Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, (ex)nook, (ex)PRS-700, (ex)PRS-500
Further, it will order the entries in the collection it creates for a "series" so that the books are in numerical order. Very useful for keeping track of books in loooooong series.

Xenophon
Xenophon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 12:31 PM   #15
radamo
Addict
radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Oasis 9th Gen
This is great... Really wanted to use Calibre over the Sony software and now I can for all but shopping the Sony store.
Thanks for the info.
RA
radamo is offline   Reply With Quote