Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-24-2012, 03:08 PM   #16
qlob
Official Lurker
qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3.4
The developer keystore works for me. I am running 3.4 and almost always leave the wireless on.
qlob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 03:11 PM   #17
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Please quote both /etc/pretty_version.txt and version.txt

Hmm...
I think I posted 2bob's - if not, we can get his also.

There must be some build differences, having the build number might give a clue.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 03:17 PM   #18
qlob
Official Lurker
qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3.4
prettyversion
Code:
Kindle 3.4 (~~otaversion~~)
version
Code:
<snip>040-S4_luigi-172597</snip>
qlob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 03:23 PM   #19
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Please quote both /etc/pretty_version.txt and version.txt

Hmm...
I think I posted 2bob's - if not, we can get his also.

There must be some build differences, having the build number might give a clue.
My bad, I only have his DX and K5 info in our shared directory.

@twobob: What is the content of those two files on your K3?
Old 10-24-2012, 05:00 PM   #20
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Tır
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
[root@kindle root]# cat /etc/prettyversion.txt
Quote:
Kindle 3.4 (~~otaVersion~~)
[root@kindle root]# cat /etc/version.txt
Quote:
040-S4_luigi-172597
identical to qlobs
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 06:16 PM   #21
knc1
Going Viral

Something is different.
Language or locale settings?
Old 10-24-2012, 06:19 PM   #22
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

hmm now you mention it mines burbles on about en_utf8 or something, sometimes..

I'll keep an eye out for it.
Old 10-24-2012, 06:27 PM   #23
knc1
Going Viral

I am losing track here, is this the US one that you imported or is this the GB one?
Old 10-24-2012, 06:32 PM   #24
twobob

The 3 is the US model one. The UK one is with a friend. the DX is US (pretty sure about that). The 5 is the international model.

So. US.

but previously after my much amending large portions of it were referencing en_ stuff.
hence my comment above.

sorry I don't have the other one's details. I could grab them at some point though in the absence of other offerers.
Old 10-24-2012, 08:04 PM   #25
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
The 3 is the US model one. The UK one is with a friend. the DX is US (pretty sure about that). The 5 is the international model.

So. US.

but previously after my much amending large portions of it were referencing en_ stuff.
hence my comment above.

sorry I don't have the other one's details. I could grab them at some point though in the absence of other offerers.
The details probably wouldn't mean a thing to me.

But this isn't the first time you have gotten: "code with a British accent" in you Kindle.

For the K3 -
I guess we need to start collecting the k3flasher produced backup image sets from Dev's that have identified different behaviors.

The Lua File Audit thing also works on binary files, not just source code.
Although I don't like the idea of being forced into auditing binary file sets, just to avoid the tricks and games that Amazon might be playing with us.

Might be easier to just switch brands of e-reader.
Old 01-29-2013, 03:45 PM   #26
ubuntuser
ubuntuser has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenubuntuser has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenubuntuser has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenubuntuser has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenubuntuser has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenubuntuser has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenubuntuser has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenubuntuser has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenubuntuser has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenubuntuser has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenubuntuser has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: Kindle 3
Hi! I've just came up with a solution:
Turn off your wifi.
Copy developer.keystore to a proper folder
chattr +i developer.keystore
Restart your kindle. Now you can turn on wifi and enjoy kindlets.
chattr +i makes the file immutable = even a root is prohibited of deleting this file.

Btw, I'm new here. Hi everyone!
ubuntuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 05:08 PM   #27
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubuntuser View Post
Btw, I'm new here. Hi everyone!
Been suggested here before.
No one has taken the time to document what effect it has on the operation of either of the up-daters.
That would be something new you could add to this old idea.
Old 01-29-2013, 05:19 PM   #28
twobob

I can fill in the blanks there. it does "work" but causes large amounts of overhead thru creation of log messages about "not being able to delete the key". There endeth my involvement in this topic.
Old 01-30-2013, 05:54 AM   #29
ubuntuser
ubuntuser has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenubuntuser has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenubuntuser has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenubuntuser has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenubuntuser has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenubuntuser has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenubuntuser has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenubuntuser has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenubuntuser has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenubuntuser has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenubuntuser has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: Kindle 3
So what do you suggest?
Is there a working hack to stop logging feature?
How Amazon knows that i have this file? Do they check if the file exist, because it's on their todo list?
I followed a tutorial "disable BigBrother features", but it probalby prevents the log sending only.
Maybe changing the url of their "to-do server" would work without chattr'ing developer.keystore?
ubuntuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 06:20 AM   #30
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubuntuser View Post
So what do you suggest?
Is there a working hack to stop logging feature?
How Amazon knows that i have this file? Do they check if the file exist, because it's on their todo list?
I followed a tutorial "disable BigBrother features", but it probalby prevents the log sending only.
Maybe changing the url of their "to-do server" would work without chattr'ing developer.keystore?
There are various ways used to identify non-Amazon additions.

The device has a manifest of what files belong on the Kindle.
It is a simple list of md5sum and path/filename entries.
I don't recall reading here if anyone has tried to stop that 'delete attempt loop' by adding the developer.keystore md5sum entry to that manifest list.

There are other threads here on the general subject of disabling 'BigBrother' -

One of my first threads - the Chatty Katie thread has the IP address ranges to be blocked. I did the blocking in my router. Someone else (CsCat?) added a post to show how to block those IP address ranges on the Kindle with iptables.
That information is about a year old now, from a K3 of that age.

One of my recent threads - the Exploring the Kpw thread has the most recently determined address ranges to be blocked (and a repeat of the old K3 list).

The Linux firewall (iptables) is a very powerful network access control system. On par with Cisco's, in some ways even more powerful and more versatile than Cisco's.

So find my new and old threads, google up info about iptables if required, get after taking control (packet by packet) who and what your Kindle talks to.