Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-01-2022, 05:43 AM   #1
Ned
Ebook reader
Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O (ed 2, v1), Kobo Forma, Kobo Libra 2
Clicky Buttons on Libra 2?

Hello, I'm wondering owners of Libra 2s could tell me if this is a general feature of the Libra 2, or if unique to my device?

The page turn buttons issue a loud Click when you press them - loud enough to disturb a somnolent wife when you're reading in bed.
So loud in fact that at night I have to resort to tapping the side of the screen to turn pages instead.

If it's common to all Libra 2s, then I may have to return it and find a device without the clicks (like my Forma which is silent when turning pages with the buttons).

Thank you
Ned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 06:02 AM   #2
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
The buttons do make a sound, yes. Not sure if I would describe it as a loud click... my mechanical keyboard (cherry mx-blue) does loud clicks but Libra 2 is just normal button sound I guess...
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-01-2022, 07:58 AM   #3
sdothum
Enthusiast
sdothum knows what time it issdothum knows what time it issdothum knows what time it issdothum knows what time it issdothum knows what time it issdothum knows what time it issdothum knows what time it issdothum knows what time it issdothum knows what time it issdothum knows what time it issdothum knows what time it is

Device: Kobo Libra 2
i have found the buttons on the Libra 2 to be almost like rocker buttons -- many complained that pressing the buttons on the inside (towards the middle point between the pair) was very stiff. This makes the loudest sound, though, not "LOUD". It is audible.

Pressing the buttons on the outer positions is much lighter (press) and almost inaudible (dependent on the ambient noise of your surroundings).
sdothum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 08:28 AM   #4
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
What sdothum said. There's a barely audible click (in a quiet room) pressing on the outer end, and an audible but quiet click nearer the middle. If yours really is loud, I'd exchange it.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 09:47 AM   #5
Ned
Ebook reader
Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for the replies.
I guess one person's quiet click is another's loud click.
But if it makes an audible click of any kind that will be too loud for me
My room is always quiet, and I couldn't do with a click every page turn, so you've confirmed the Libra 2 is not for me.

Last edited by Ned; 07-01-2022 at 09:52 AM.
Advert
Old 07-01-2022, 09:50 AM   #6
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
All physical buttons with a mechanical switch have a slight click. I don't know what is in a Libra 2, but all the other Kobo buttons I've seen from opening up four models are industry standard low profile "tact" switches.

The original Libra switches are under the curved outer end. That would be easiest and quietest to press. The Sage switches are under the middle of the the buttons.

An elastomer contact over a PCB pad makes no sound (used in many remote controls), but have a poor number of operations and can't be sealed.

A hall effect switch can be silent, but are very expensive.

Last edited by Quoth; 07-01-2022 at 09:55 AM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 04:23 PM   #7
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
If your wife is very sensitive to any noise when sleeping, don't use the buttons at night, just tap the screen. Save the buttons for daytime when the background noise drowns out the soft tap of the button press.
My cat has never complained, and she loves to sleep.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 06:24 PM   #8
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Or even just swipe the screen which is, to my ears, quieter than tapping.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 09:23 PM   #9
Tawn
Connoisseur
Tawn began at the beginning.

Device: kobo Libra 2
I find that a light touch is sufficient; it is a touch screen.
Tawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 02:07 AM   #10
Ned
Ebook reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawn View Post
I find that a light touch is sufficient; it is a touch screen.
A touch screen with buttons, which I'd prefer to use if they didn't make a loud clicking noise.
It seems a little contrary to get a reader with buttons, then have to turn the page by tapping the screen because you can't use the buttons.

As I said, the antipathy to the noise may be just me, but having had it confirmed that they all do it, the reader has gone back.
Thank you all for your help
Old 07-02-2022, 02:44 AM   #11
Deobulakenyo
Guru
Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Boyue Likebook P78
Anyone who can hear the click of libra 2 buttons have very acute hearing IMO.
Deobulakenyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 08:30 AM   #12
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
My cat has never complained, and she loves to sleep.
Absolute proof the Libra 2 buttons are fine. Cats have good hearing.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote