Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-18-2019, 11:39 AM   #1
Ned
Ebook reader
Ned can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterNed can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterNed can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterNed can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterNed can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterNed can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterNed can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterNed can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterNed can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterNed can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterNed can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Aura H2O
What exactly to do with kobo firmware file

Hello, I wonder if somebody could help me please.
I've searched on here but don't understand the answer.

I want to manually install the 4.15.12920 firmware on my new Aura H2O version 2 and have downloaded the firmware.
I got a folder called Kobo Update 4 with two files and another folder inside it.
The files are called Koboroot.tgz and manifest.md5sum and the folder is called Upgrade with another folder inside that containing some more files.

The instruction I can find says Unpack the zipfile containing the firmware update in the .kobo folder. I can find the .kobo folder on my kobo, but don't understand what to do next - there isn't a zip file and what about all the other files?

Edit: Sorry, I just found the answer.
Apparently there isn't a zip file at all, it's just referring to the stuff in the folder. I put the two files and folder into .kobo and it updated itself when I ejected it.

Last edited by Ned; 06-18-2019 at 12:40 PM. Reason: found answer
Ned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 12:42 PM   #2
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, (PW) & PW2; Kobo H2O & Forma
You're probably on macOS, and your browser (Safari?) magically (and stupidly) unpacked the zip file for you.

Provided that's actually what happened, copying the *full content* (but not the folder itself) of that top-level 'Kobo Update 4' folder to the .kobo one should do the trick.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 02:19 PM   #3
Ned
Ebook reader
Ned can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterNed can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterNed can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterNed can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterNed can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterNed can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterNed can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterNed can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterNed can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterNed can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterNed can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Spot on with the Mac NiLuJe
That must be what happened, and indeed copying the full contents of that folder did the trick.
Macs really do get on my nerves the way they try and do everything for you and don't let you do what you want to!!
Thanks for the reply.
Old 06-18-2019, 07:42 PM   #4
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo,Aura H2O,Glo HD,Aura ONE,Clara HD,Forma;tolino epos
For my curiosity, did you check the firmware version before doing this? A new device should update to the latest available firmware during the setup. And if for some reason it doesn't, then it will the when you do a sync. Or connect to the Kobo desktop application. 4.15.12920 is the latest and is available everywhere, so it should have been installed.
davidfor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 10:33 PM   #5
asleyam
asleyam , Klaatu Barada Niktu!asleyam , Klaatu Barada Niktu!asleyam , Klaatu Barada Niktu!asleyam , Klaatu Barada Niktu!asleyam , Klaatu Barada Niktu!asleyam , Klaatu Barada Niktu!asleyam , Klaatu Barada Niktu!asleyam , Klaatu Barada Niktu!asleyam , Klaatu Barada Niktu!asleyam , Klaatu Barada Niktu!asleyam , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: kindle voyage, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned View Post
Spot on with the Mac NiLuJe
That must be what happened, and indeed copying the full contents of that folder did the trick.
Macs really do get on my nerves the way they try and do everything for you and don't let you do what you want to!!
Thanks for the reply.
You can change that behaviour in safari by disabling “Open “safe” files after downloading” in the “general” tab of safari preferences. Apple enables it by default.
asleyam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 03:31 AM   #6
Ned
Ebook reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
For my curiosity, did you check the firmware version before doing this? A new device should update to the latest available firmware during the setup. And if for some reason it doesn't, then it will the when you do a sync. Or connect to the Kobo desktop application. 4.15.12920 is the latest and is available everywhere, so it should have been installed.
Yes I checked after setup and it was 4.9.11334 - I'd expected it to update but it didn't. Once set up I keep wifi off as I've always done with my kindle and wanted to do the update manually .

And thanks asleyam, I've set that now.
Nanny Apple has so many ways to 'look after' you it's not true!