Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 03-13-2019, 12:59 AM   #91
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
It will let you buy that in the US? I see the listing but it returns "This title is not currently available for purchase" for all four titles.
Working on my US account. $0.75. But only when it seems me coming from Canada, even though it's a US account. Also available in the UK. So, if you want it, either get one of us to get it for you (I'll be happy to, fwiw), or do a little traveling.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 01:18 AM   #92
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Working on my US account. $0.75. But only when it seems me coming from Canada, even though it's a US account. Also available in the UK. So, if you want it, either get one of us to get it for you (I'll be happy to, fwiw), or do a little traveling.
Thank you. I've still got them in paper so don't really feel like I need to buy it again right away. Without US availability I didn't think I should nominate it though.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 01:52 PM   #93
Victoria
Wizard
Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad, Kindle PW, Kobo Clara; iphone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
Without US availability I didn't think I should nominate it though.
No, you really couldn’t; sorry for the false hope. But maybe it’s a good omen for showing up in the US sometime in the future.
Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 03:04 PM   #94
Victoria
Wizard
Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Poor Kindle version of The Daughter of Time

Hi - just a heads up for kindle users. I bought this cheap version of The Daughter of Time from US Amazon. There are so many errors it’s unreadable:

https://www.amazon.com/Daughter-Time...sr=1-1-catcorr

Someone must have ocr’d it without making any corrections. So I ended up buying this complete set of Inspector Grant Mysteries, which is very clean and readable:

https://www.amazon.com/Complete-Insp...r=8-1-fkmrnull
Old 03-23-2019, 04:10 PM   #95
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
How annoying for you. But I hope you enjoy Tey’s books now you have several of them.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 02:39 PM   #96
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victoria View Post
Hi - just a heads up for kindle users. I bought this cheap version of The Daughter of Time from US Amazon. There are so many errors it’s unreadable:

https://www.amazon.com/Daughter-Time...sr=1-1-catcorr

Someone must have ocr’d it without making any corrections. So I ended up buying this complete set of Inspector Grant Mysteries, which is very clean and readable:

https://www.amazon.com/Complete-Insp...r=8-1-fkmrnull
Very annoying! But you should also be aware that this is available from FadedPage, the Canadian Public Domain site. (A very useful resource, with quite well edited editions of many Canadian and non-Canadian authors.)

[Full Disclaimer: Canada's PD rules are Life+50, which are significantly less restrictive than many other places. Please respect the copyright rules of your own country.]
Old 03-24-2019, 06:26 PM   #97
Victoria
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookpossum View Post
How annoying for you. But I hope you enjoy Tey’s books now you have several of them.
Thanks - I’d never read Tey before, but I’m loving ‘The Daughter of Time’, so it was a blessing in disguise

Quote:
Very annoying! But you should also be aware that this is available from FadedPage, the Canadian Public Domain site. (A very useful resource, with quite well edited editions of many Canadian and non-Canadian authors.)

[Full Disclaimer: Canada's PD rules are Life+50, which are significantly less restrictive than many other places. Please respect the copyright rules of your own country.]
Thank you Charlie - I have never heard of this site! It’s a fantastic resource!
Old 03-24-2019, 08:09 PM   #98
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
I am extremely anal when it comes to reading books in order if they are part of a series, as The Daughter of Time is. Are the Inspector Grant books connected in any way beyond having the same protagonist? Any internal references to previous cases at all?

The operative words here are extremely anal.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 12:00 AM   #99
CRussel
(he/him/his)

My memory is that this is very much a standalone book, even though Inspector Grant is, obviously, a recurring character in a series of 6 books (of which this is #5). So I would say not to worry about it.

Full disclosure -- it's been YEARS since I read Daughter of Time. OTOH, the premise for this is completely different from other Inspector Grant books, given that it's not about a current, or even remotely current case, but about Richard III.
Old 03-25-2019, 12:04 AM   #100
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victoria View Post
Thank you Charlie - I have never heard of this site! It’s a fantastic resource!
It is a precious and valuable resource indeed. All of Dorothy Sayers, all of Patricia Wentworth's Miss Silver books. A lot of Hemingway. And hundreds of other authors. Of course, NAFTA 2.0 is likely to impact what they can do, but for now, at least, they're still doing Life+50.
Old 03-25-2019, 12:54 AM   #101
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
I am extremely anal when it comes to reading books in order if they are part of a series, as The Daughter of Time is. Are the Inspector Grant books connected in any way beyond having the same protagonist? Any internal references to previous cases at all?

I'm a bit like that too. However, I think as Charlie says this one can stand alone quite easily as dealing with a mystery from the past. There are characters who do appear in walk-on roles in various books, but again, Tey says who they are and it doesn't require any prior knowledge of them, as each book is a separate mystery. Grant himself has more of a walk-on role in The Franchise Affair - other characters take centre stage in that one.
Old 03-25-2019, 12:58 AM   #102
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun

Quote:
It is a precious and valuable resource indeed. All of Dorothy Sayers, all of Patricia Wentworth's Miss Silver books. A lot of Hemingway. And hundreds of other authors. Of course, NAFTA 2.0 is likely to impact what they can do, but for now, at least, they're still doing Life+50.
As long as sanity prevails (not necessarily so these days it seems) your rules will change as ours did when Australia and the US signed a free-trade agreement back in 2004. So we have death + 50 years for authors who died up to 31 December 1953, and death + 70 for those who died after 1 January 1954.

That is, it wasn't applied retrospectively, so you won't lose the authors already on Faded Page, but you won't get any more for, presumably, another 20 years.
Old 03-25-2019, 02:03 AM   #103
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post

This is the only book in the series that I have read. I am usually picky about order too. I thought it is was ok as a stand-alone. It’s really the personality of the inspector that you don’t have familiarity with but the plot is independent.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 02:54 AM   #104
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
This is the only book in the series that I have read. I am usually picky about order too. I thought it is was ok as a stand-alone. It’s really the personality of the inspector that you don’t have familiarity with but the plot is independent.
And if the personality of the inspector in the first book is anything to go by, no one is missing anything. Others have had more success than I, but the first book was a did-not-finish for me. I'm hoping for better from this one, certainly it has a good reputation.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 11:10 AM   #105
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Thanks. I will try to pretend I don't know that the book is part of a series.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote