Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 07-10-2010, 07:36 AM   #1
JulianL
JulianL began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone & iPad
Hello from Southwest London (UK)

Hello everyone. I'm pretty excited to find this forum because it seems to be just what I was looking for.

I've been reading ebooks since 1999 when I got my first Palm V device and downloaded some old classics from Project Guttenberg. I'm a computer scientist by training and have been tinkering with technology for the last 40 years but I still vividly remember the moment when I started reading that first text on my Palm V, it was the one time in my life when it really did feel to me as if something had jumped straight out of the pages of science fiction and into the real world; it was the most thrilling technological moment in my life.

I subsequently started buying commercial titles from eReader.com (now part of Barnes & Noble) so I have a decent library in secure eReader format. I've just moved to the iPhone as my handheld device, which is what I use for 90% of my reading, so I'm in the process of converting some of my titles across to ePub format and I'm also really hoping that Apple do a good job of capturing commercial content for the iBook format, and without all the geographical restrictions that have made eReader/B&N almost worthless to me now as a source of new material.

I discovered these forums via the Calibre web site and I expect that I'll be spending a lot of time on the Calibre sub-forum getting advice on converting my existing books (the table of contents seem to always cause me grief).

I will state for the record that I fully support the electronic publishing industry and everything that I'm converting was legally purchased by me. I even often pay for commercial versions of classics (e.g. £1.49 for a Collins Classic) rather than getting a free Guttenberg download because I want the publishers to see revenue opportunities and to start uploading not just new releases but also more of their back catalog of out-of-print titles.

- Julian
JulianL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 07:41 AM   #2
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi Julian and welcome to MobileRead. Like you, I started reading on a PED (iPaq in my case) back in 99. I bought lots of books in MobiPocket format and quickly got hooked on eReading. Then eInk and the Sony 505 came along and I was hopelessly addicted.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-10-2010, 07:45 AM   #3
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW

Welcome to mobileread ....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 07:56 AM   #4
Javed
Grand Sorcerer
Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO, iPod Touch, PRS-650
Hello Julian and welcome to MobileRead. Great to see you here.
Javed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 08:07 AM   #5
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
What a fascinating introductory post, Julian. Many thanks. Good to have your new company here and to look forward to more messages from you. Very best wishes. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-11-2010, 01:49 AM   #6
happy_terd
Banned
happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 420
Hello and welcome !!!! !!!!
happy_terd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 07:37 AM   #7
Lady Blue
the snarky blue one
Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS500, 505 & 600, PRST1 & T2, Kindle PW, Moto Razr, Galaxy Tab 2-10"
Click image for larger version

Name:	mat4.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	3.0 KB
ID:	55061 to Mobileread, Julian.
Lady Blue is offline   Reply With Quote