Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-22-2010, 07:27 PM   #1
luthier58
luthier58 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 300
Audio file formats

Hello all,
My wife is thrilled with the PRS-600 I got her for her birthday (self-defense, she had glommed onto my Pocket and refused to release it). She is especially thrilled with the music feature. However, most of her favorite tracks are in iTunes. The docs say the Sony will play unprotected AAC, which should be most of current iTunes tracks, but not the older stuff. Is there any convenient way to tell the difference?
Thanks,
luthier58
luthier58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 07:49 PM   #2
Solitaire1
Samurai Lizard
Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NookColor
Quote:
Originally Posted by luthier58 View Post
Hello all,
My wife is thrilled with the PRS-600 I got her for her birthday (self-defense, she had glommed onto my Pocket and refused to release it). She is especially thrilled with the music feature. However, most of her favorite tracks are in iTunes. The docs say the Sony will play unprotected AAC, which should be most of current iTunes tracks, but not the older stuff. Is there any convenient way to tell the difference?
Thanks,
luthier58
One thing you could do is check song's file extension. I checked my iTunes Music Library and the DRM AAC files have an extension of ".m4p" while the non-DRM AAC files have an extension of ".m4a". When you check the information on the song in iTunes, the DRM songs show up as "Protected AAC audio file" while the non-DRM AAC files show up as "Purchased AAC audio file."

I hope this helps.

Last edited by Solitaire1; 06-22-2010 at 09:45 PM. Reason: Spelling correction.
Solitaire1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-22-2010, 07:56 PM   #3
luthier58
luthier58 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 300
I suspected file extensions would hold the key. Thanks!
luthier58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 10:51 PM   #4
Solitaire1
Samurai Lizard
Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NookColor
Quote:
Originally Posted by luthier58 View Post
I suspected file extensions would hold the key. Thanks!
You are welcome.
Solitaire1 is offline   Reply With Quote