Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-12-2010, 10:01 PM   #1
advocate2
My Kingdom for Karma
advocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the rough

Device: Sony 350, 650, 950, Nook Color
Sony Circumvents Agency Pricing Model

There are posts in the Deals and the Sony Reader forums already, but Target is running a sale this week on gift cards for the Sony Reader Store. For $15 you get a $25 gift card. That's a 40% discount on all titles. Yeah Sony for fast thinking!!!!

Technically, Sony haven't reduced the Agency List prices, but the consumer gets the benefit anyway. I can't help but wonder if Amazon, Barnes and Noble and other sellers will follow suit with this kind of promotion. If they do, what steps do the Publishers then take?
advocate2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 10:37 PM   #2
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Yeah, I saw this posted on another thread...and quickly took advantage to "stock up". Now, when I have those "must-have" books under the agency pricing, I'll be able to get my Iold) normal Fictionwise pricing!

I'm still going to try to avoid them for the impulse buys, but for the authors/series I've been following for awhile, I'll be happy to get them at a discount after all!
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-12-2010, 10:59 PM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Discounted gift cards probably do work around Agency Pricing, but since Sony presumably only gets 30% of the Agency price it is hard to see how a 40% discount works for them. They do get the money up front, which might help a bit, but they must also be paying Target.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 07:50 AM   #4
pendragginp
Guru
pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Several
Do the gift cards have to be used within a certain time?
pendragginp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 08:25 AM   #5
advocate2
My Kingdom for Karma
advocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the rough

Device: Sony 350, 650, 950, Nook Color
Pendraggin,

You scratch the back to reveal a code which you input at the Reader Store. Once the funds are in your account they stay there until used.
advocate2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-13-2010, 02:31 PM   #6
mrsquash
Connoisseur
mrsquash will become famous soon enoughmrsquash will become famous soon enoughmrsquash will become famous soon enoughmrsquash will become famous soon enoughmrsquash will become famous soon enoughmrsquash will become famous soon enough

Device: K4-NT, Sony T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by pendragginp View Post
Do the gift cards have to be used within a certain time?
You can find a good brief summary of the various states' regulations about gift card expirations here:
http://www.consumersunion.org/pub/co...es/003889.html

Under Michigan's laws, it looks as if you won't have to worry about expiration for at least 5 years from purchase. I am not a lawyer, though.

I bought 8 of the cards yesterday. There is no language on the card about expiration.
mrsquash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 05:00 PM   #7
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsquash View Post
I bought 8 of the cards yesterday. There is no language on the card about expiration.
I checked that too. When I put one of the cards in my account and then looked in my Book Cart, at the bottom, it listed the "GC Credit" (gift card balance) and the expiration date was listed as NEVER.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 05:34 PM   #8
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
I don't understand how you think this has anything to do with Agency Pricing or even Sony for that matter. Target put them on sale along with the AT & T prepaid phone card. It's a great thing certainly, but Target put them on sale not Sony. Target also had their pocket readers on sale a couple of weeks back.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 05:56 PM   #9
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
Unless somebody here has some corporate information there is really no way for us to know how the deal was worked. Target has to pay Sony for the card. Target put them on sale for the end consumer but Sony could have certainly cut a discount price with Target that allows them to sell the cards for $15. We really don't know how the money is being divided up.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 06:19 PM   #10
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

So is the definite story that these cards are not available through Target online? I sure could not find them in searching the Target web site. That sucks, it's about 100 miles for me to the nearest Target retail outlet.
Old 04-13-2010, 08:32 PM   #11
pendragginp
Guru
pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Several
So they're good 'forever'.

pendragginp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 09:41 PM   #12
KarenH
Addict
KarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five words

Device: K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet53 View Post
So is the definite story that these cards are not available through Target online? I sure could not find them in searching the Target web site. That sucks, it's about 100 miles for me to the nearest Target retail outlet.
That's correct - if you look at the weekly ad section of the Target website, it specifically states that they're not available online - in store only.
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 09:42 PM   #13
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by pendragginp View Post
So they're good 'forever'.
Even longer: Forever and a day!
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote