Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-17-2017, 03:09 PM   #1
AnimalOfArt
Groupie
AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: changing frequently
Possibilty to turn off the device completely

I'm going on a three week vacation in two months. On vacations I want to interact with my environment as much as possible, so I don't want to take my Voyage with me.

Now the Voyage just allows me to turn into standby either with screensaver or screen off, but never really shuts down, and therefore it drains the battery. This isn't a problem when I am at home, because I could load it from time to time to prevent the battery from draining to a damaging level.

But when I'm three weeks away it could be a problem.

So, does anybody have experience with shutting a jailbroken Voyage down completely (and successfully turning it on afterwards ^^) ?
AnimalOfArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 03:30 PM   #2
hius07
Wizard
hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, PW3, PW4, Voyage
You can find KUAL extension for power-off here:
http://4pda.ru/forum/index.php?showt...#entry58502598
hius07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-17-2017, 03:30 PM   #3
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
I don't think you really have much to worry about.
Put it in airplane mode and turn off the screen.
The battery lasts 2 months reading 30 minutes a day.
How often do you need to charge it when you use it everyday?

It won't drain that much. I charge my K5 about every 6 months and that is a way older device. Even then it isn't empty.

Seriously, if you are that worried either leave it on a charger or put it in your luggage.

So where are you going that you will be busy 24/7?
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 03:32 PM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Three weeks is nothing. A battery charge will last for months in sleep mode. Just make sure that you leave it with WiFi turned off.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 04:11 PM   #5
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
And you could use the 'shipping mode' if you wanted to.
It is a little bit extreme, I think you would have to set it up again when you did wake it up.

= = =

As posted above:
Be sure the wireless is disabled -
Hold the power button until you get the pop-up panel -
Pick "turn off screen" -
Let it go to sleep on its own.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-18-2017, 01:11 AM   #6
AnimalOfArt
Groupie
AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for all your answers. I don't know exactly why, but I just feel more comfortable, knowing that it is turned off when I am away. I also feel more comfortable not carrying it with me. It's just a quirk I guess. And yeah the shipment mode would be too extreme for me!
I read about 2 hours a day and I need to charge my Voyage every one or two weeks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hius07 View Post
You can find KUAL extension for power-off here:
http://4pda.ru/forum/index.php?showt...#entry58502598
Thank you very much for this. The problem was that the link to the PowerOFF-plugin is dead, but someone posted a link to this thread here:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=211677

I used the HALT plugin from there and modified it, like eliy from 4pda with shutdown instead of halt, but after clicking the "Power Off"-Button in my KUAL menu it just brought me back to my home screen. So I changed the shutdown command to halt and it worked. I also tred poweroff, but there is no visible difference to halt.

In my understanding halt brings everything to an end so that you can manually power off the system. poweroff will do the same as halt
and additionally power off the system automatically. I wonder if there is any internal difference on a Kindle.

Last edited by AnimalOfArt; 07-18-2017 at 01:13 AM.
Old 07-25-2017, 03:42 AM   #7
baalajimaestro
Expecto Patronum!
baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2(9017) 4GB, FW 5.7.4
Well, i didnt use my kindle for a month and i just lost 22%. So chill and just put it to sleep!
baalajimaestro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 05:05 AM   #8
AnimalOfArt
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by baalajimaestro View Post
Well, i didnt use my kindle for a month and i just lost 22%. So chill and just put it to sleep!
Thank you!

But I'm already happy with my own little poweroff extension.
Old 07-25-2017, 08:39 AM   #9
nasser
Evangelist
nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many..
There is an old post which addresses this issue:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=211677

Sorry! I see it's already referred to in this thread!

Last edited by nasser; 07-25-2017 at 08:41 AM.
nasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 04:31 PM   #10
Eliy
Eliy began at the beginning.

Device: KPW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimalOfArt View Post
The problem was that the link to the PowerOFF-plugin is dead,
I used the HALT plugin from there and modified it, like eliy from 4pda with shutdown instead of halt, but after clicking the "Power Off"-Button in my KUAL menu it just brought me back to my home screen.
Better late than never. I'm here, too. The links from 4pda required registration, else error 404.

I replaced "halt" on "shutdown -P now" Command "shutdown" without keys does not work.
The key "-P" = "Poweroff'. You can use another keys: "-H" = "Halt" or "-r" = "Reboot"

Here is my script
Attached Files
File Type: zip KUAL-poweroff.0.0.2v.zip (1.4 KB, 107 views)
Eliy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 05:11 PM   #11
AnimalOfArt
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliy View Post
Better late than never. I'm here, too. The links from 4pda required registration, else error 404.

I replaced "halt" on "shutdown -P now" Command "shutdown" without keys does not work.
The key "-P" = "Poweroff'. You can use another keys: "-H" = "Halt" or "-r" = "Reboot"

Here is my script
Great! And thank you very much!

Did you notice any visible difference between shutdown -P now and halt?
If not, why you used shutdown with parameters instead of halt?

Last edited by AnimalOfArt; 07-25-2017 at 05:19 PM.
Old 07-25-2017, 06:53 PM   #12
Eliy
Eliy began at the beginning.

Device: KPW3
These are several different commands in Linux. I use Linux every day to my laptop and there is a difference for it. The difference for Kindle is not noticed, but I know that shutdown is preferable for linux systems. "Halt" does not always completely turn off some computers and I thought it could happen with the Kindle.
Eliy is offline   Reply With Quote