Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > Offline > BBeB/LRF Books (offline)

Notices

Old 03-13-2008, 08:29 PM   #1
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Burton, Miles: Death Takes a Detour, v1, 13 March 2008.

This title was released under a Creative Commons License, with additional acknowledgement placed at the end of the book. Book was acquired from Munseys, BUT REFORMATED BY ME TO MY SPECIFICATIONS.

A good detective story never dies...

This is one of the 61 novels featuring Desmond Merrion written by Miles Burton. He also wrote a number of other novels featuring other detectives. Burton was the pseudonym of Major Cecil John Charles Street, but he also wrote under other pseudonyms.

One source on the web has this to say about the series featuring Desmond Merrion:

“The Burton series are more traditional detective fiction with the addition of chases and the occasional romance; in fact the hero, amateur investigator Desmond Merrion, meets his wife in the first, The Secret of High Eldersham (1930).”

The same source also writes that “Rhode also published novels under the pseudonym Miles Burton, usually about wealthy investigator Desmond Merrion….Merrion is an ex-Navy Intelligence Officer, and he always loves being on boats. So does his man Norwood. Norwood does sleuthing too, and is fantastically helpful, in the tradition of such sleuth-servants as R. Austin Freeman's Polton, H.C. Bailey's Sam, Dorothy L. Sayers' Bunter, and Margery Allingham's Lugg. These writers are all in the Realist school, or the Bailey school that partially derives from it.”

I hope you enjoy it.

Don

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 05-23-2008 at 01:13 PM. Reason: Prefix
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 11:43 PM   #2
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Your specs are fine as long as I shift to "L" for the font. My old eyes are just not up to the demands of your "S" font size.

Good work even if a bit compact on the size.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-19-2008, 08:16 AM   #3
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Hey, RWood:

I actually read on "M," mysefl, but I think I went back to the original way I assemble the books - before my hiatus - which I think is back again on 9 point, because (if I am remembering correctly), it seems like there are better choices in the overall sizes. ---- Did you find that the older titles I did before I left the U.S. were easier to read?

I experimented recently with a different point size, but found that the Medium was a tad small for what I wanted.

I know what you mean about old eyes, as I'm 56 years old....but I still feel like a kid!

Thanks,
Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote