Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 12-20-2012, 03:27 PM   #1
coreslogic
coreslogic began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Arc
Offline map app for Arc

There is one on promo today called "MapsWithMe Pro, Offline Maps" for $1.97 CAD today. Best part is that GPS is NOT a requirement unlike some other map apps and some radio apps (that assume the user does not know which country he is in)

Base app is 49mb and individual country/provience are individual downloads. Ontario is 154mb and Quebec is 170mb. You can locate yourself using Wifi location service and is pretty darn good. There is *no* route calculation and turn-by-turn direction guide. The rendering is very quick and the very detailed map.

One of the immediate complains i have against this app is the lack of search history but for the two bucks, I'm just happy I have an offline map.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...maps.pro&hl=en
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2012-12-20-15-25-07.png
Views:	313
Size:	395.7 KB
ID:	98016  
coreslogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 04:39 AM   #2
suedenim
Connoisseur
suedenim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.suedenim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.suedenim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.suedenim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.suedenim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.suedenim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.suedenim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.suedenim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.suedenim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.suedenim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.suedenim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox
I've been using Memory Map in the UK - was free for android last time I checked.
suedenim is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-21-2012, 10:48 AM   #3
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
And Google Maps can store sections of maps for offline use, also for free. Also don't need GPS as, when online, the wi-fi triangulation is creepily accurate.
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 01:12 PM   #4
coreslogic
coreslogic began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Arc
Yes, google map does that but it sacrifice details in a significant way if you try to cover a large area. Their way is just a band aid solution to the offline-map-protest at best. I would still say Nokia has THE best navigation solution out there as a side note.
coreslogic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
arc, kobo, maps