Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 11-22-2012, 03:43 AM   #1
rtmyers
rtmyers began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Querying some iBooks status info

Does anyone know how to query iBooks (with a CSS media query or property or JS or whatever) as to:

1) Is the book being read in paged or scrolling mode?
2) In two-page landscape mode, is an element on the or the right page?

A web page I found seemed to indicate media queries "paginated" and "nonpaginated" might exist, but if they do, I can't get them to work with declarations of the form

@media screen and (paginated) {
h1 { color: pink; }
}

The iBookStore Asset Guide, where one might hope to find clues, does not seem to have been updated to reflect any changes in iBooks 3.0.

Thanks for any help.
--
Bob
rtmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 03:07 PM   #2
dgatwood
Curmudgeon
dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, Nook Simple Touch
If you have a free Apple developer account, it's probably worth filing a bug at bugreport.apple.com about #1.

For #2, I would assume that @page:left and @page:right would be supported, but I'm not certain. If not, see my previous answer. :-)

Also, a word of warning: segregate your media queries into a separate file. Adobe Digital Editions (upon which a number of readers are based) interprets "not required/unsupported" as "should break everything if present" when it comes to CSS features, so if you use any @page or @media directives, everything in that CSS file is ignored by ADE, Nook, etc.
dgatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-22-2012, 10:42 PM   #3
rtmyers
rtmyers began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Thanks, but as far as I can tell, @page:left and @page:right rules, even if supported, allow only the margins and other page-level aspects specified, not specific CSS rules. What I really want to do is, say:

@page:left { h1: { color: pink; } }

I'm not even sure that's supported by any of the CSS specs, much less by iBooks. What I would love to discover is a magic class in effect on left and right pages, such as .ibooks-left-page or .ibooks-right-page...
rtmyers is offline   Reply With Quote