Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-01-2011, 08:53 PM   #1
meremark
meremark began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650
To sync or not to sync

Which is best? To manually move things from the Reader library onto the reader or simply press sync? I started out moving things one by one, and then I hit sync. Now I have multiple copies of things (up to 4) on the reader and finding it hard to delete them. When I try to remove them from the reader I get a message saying because they were synced I have to remove them from the library first... but there is only one copy in the library section.
meremark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 10:34 PM   #2
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
My prior experience, sync causes more problems than any benefit you could hope to achieve from it. I and others have encountered problems with sync putting multiple copies of the same book on your Reader.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-01-2011, 11:51 PM   #3
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Some people have no issues with sync. I sync 20+ collections and 500+ books with no problem to multiple ereaders. And, it's speedy too. I seem to be in the minority of people who like the Sony Reader Library software even if it is a little basic. It's just like syncing my iPod with iTunes. I wouldn't want to manage all that manually. It seems to be very system dependent to your computer how well the Reader Library software works. If it's not working for you, then I would recommend to try something different like Adobe Digital Editions or calibre.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 04:31 AM   #4
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
I sync, too. I much prefer it to the Calibre system.

Sync has been much improved in later iterations of the Sony software.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 06:19 PM   #5
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
I use the sony software, and I don't sync. My first purchases (made by my husband so my reader had something on it) were synced, but I changed it to manual as soon as I could. I still can't do anything with those original books (move them or whatnot) because it tells me I have to go back to the original something.... ?

I prefer the drag and drop method of loading.
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2011, 07:39 PM   #6
CandyDane
Enthusiast
CandyDane has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.CandyDane has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.CandyDane has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.CandyDane has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: iPad 4
I use Reader Library with my Sony 650. It's basic enough for my uses so haven't spent the time to "learn" Calibre.

How do I stop my 650 reader from automatically syncing?

I have it set up so my reader doesn't automatically start Reader Library, but as soon as I open Reader Library to sync a book or two, it auto syncs.
CandyDane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 08:13 PM   #7
library addict
Grand Sorcerer
library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2, Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8" (retired=Sony PRS650, Kobo Mini)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CandyDane View Post
How do I stop my 650 reader from automatically syncing?
Start Reader software.
Attach your reader.
Click on "Reader" in the left sidebar.
Click on "Sync"
Uncheck all of the boxes (Library, Books, Purchased, Periodicals, Audio, Pictures)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture1.JPG
Views:	276
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	64007  

Last edited by library addict; 01-02-2011 at 08:19 PM. Reason: correct attachment
library addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 11:08 PM   #8
sbtx99
Zealot
sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi; Red PRS-650; iPod Touch; Android phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by meremark View Post
Which is best? To manually move things from the Reader library onto the reader or simply press sync? I started out moving things one by one, and then I hit sync. Now I have multiple copies of things (up to 4) on the reader and finding it hard to delete them. When I try to remove them from the reader I get a message saying because they were synced I have to remove them from the library first... but there is only one copy in the library section.
I don't use sync because, as you mentioned, you can't delete synced books on the device itself. I like to delete an ebook when I finish reading it and don't want to wait until the reader is connected to my computer to remove it from the device.

Last edited by sbtx99; 01-02-2011 at 11:11 PM. Reason: typo
sbtx99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 03:38 AM   #9
meremark
meremark began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650
I did find a way to get rid of those extra copies the sync function put on...use Calibre! Sony had a good go a redoing up to 4 copies of the same book next time I attached it, so I will be turning off the autosync function as described above.

One thing I have struggled with is getting purchased ebooks straight onto Calibre without using the Reader Library software as an intermediate step. Here in Australia we don't have the Sony bookstore but buy things from Borders or others. The files mostly seem to come as a URLLink-somenumber.acsm which I then have to locate in the reader library and transfer to Calibre. Does anyone know any faster ways?

Or any way to stop the Reader library automatically openning when you attach the device on a mac?
Cheers
meremark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 01:28 PM   #10
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
One thing I have struggled with is getting purchased ebooks straight onto Calibre without using the Reader Library software as an intermediate step. Here in Australia we don't have the Sony bookstore but buy things from Borders or others. The files mostly seem to come as a URLLink-somenumber.acsm which I then have to locate in the reader library and transfer to Calibre. Does anyone know any faster ways?
I haven't figured out any other way to avoid the intermediate step. As I understand it, when you open the acsm file it is communicating back to the ebookstore server to download your book and then applies the DRM encryption specific to your Adobe account.

Quote:
Or any way to stop the Reader library automatically openning when you attach the device on a mac?
Cheers
Go to Reader Library > Preferences in the menu and uncheck the box that says "Launch Reader Library when Reader device is connected".
Old 01-03-2011, 03:15 PM   #11
CandyDane
Enthusiast
CandyDane has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.CandyDane has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.CandyDane has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.CandyDane has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: iPad 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by library addict View Post
Start Reader software.
Attach your reader.
Click on "Reader" in the left sidebar.
Click on "Sync"
Uncheck all of the boxes (Library, Books, Purchased, Periodicals, Audio, Pictures)
That doesn't work for me on my Mac. Any category I don't have checked to be sync'd is deleted from my Reader. I have to recheck them and have the reader sync'd to get everything back on my Reader.
CandyDane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 03:50 PM   #12
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
It would work if you left them unchecked and put the content back on manually by drag'n'drop... every time you recheck and sync you go back to square one.

You have to decide to either use sync or not use it... once you decide then you can deal with content and, if not using sync, put the content back manually...

Quote:
That doesn't work for me on my Mac. Any category I don't have checked to be sync'd is deleted from my Reader. I have to recheck them and have the reader sync'd to get everything back on my Reader.
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 03:55 PM   #13
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Quote:
It will do that because it's un-syncing them. Basically its deleting everything from your ereader itself. Then you're free to manually drag and drop them from the PC libraray to the reader itself.

I don't sync anymore because I have more books than I have space on my reader so I drag and drop what I want on my reader. You can drag whole collections to the reader too. When you add a book to a collection and you want to add it to the reader you have to drag the book to the reader and then in the reader, using the Sony software, move it from the Book collection to the specific collection. You could also drag the entire collection again but it will lose any bookmarks you have within that collection on the reader because it's adding it fresh.

Does that help?
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 04:03 PM   #14
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

Quote:
CandyDane, I think your question may have been misinterpreted. There is no way to turn off auto-sync. I wish you could. It would be nice if it didn't keep syncing every few minutes when you make changes to your library and if they let you just manually initiate sync. What I do is get my library and collections ready to go without my ereader connected. Then I plug in, sync and disconnect. I wish I could leave it connected and let it USB charge for awhile... But, the auto-sync is just too annoying especially when you have a lot of books and collections.
Old 01-03-2011, 04:16 PM   #15
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Bookworm_Girl, I think the problem is terminology, CD like many people, is confusing sync with getting books on eReader... she talks about "syncing a book or two" in a way that implies she just wants to load a couple of books... syncing doesn't mean loading books, it means matching content to whatever is set for sync in eReader Library, often the same but not necessarily so...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
delete duplicate books, multiple copies, sync