Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-02-2010, 10:46 PM   #1
enn
enn began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Voyage
Preserve original filename of files loaded from device

Hello,

I have read the posts on the use of metadata rather than directory structures as organizing tools in Calibre. It makes sense. However, I have run into a problem with this in actual use.

I have a Kindle 3. Many of the books I have I first acquire directly on the device -- either I buy them from the Amazon store or I email them to the Kindle address (from another computer than the one on which my Calibre library lives.). And some of them are just books I downloaded before I installed Calibre.

However, I'd like to have all of my books in Calibre, so I import them from the device to the Calibre library. Sometimes I need to correct the metadata. However, if I do so, and then re-send the book to the device, it sends it with the new, Calibre-generated filename, which means I have two copies of the book on the device, and the one with the correct Calibre metadata is not the one with the correct Kindle metadata (like last page read).

I see that there is a template for specifying the file name and path to use when sending a book to a device. Is there a way to have Calibre store the original filename used when the book was first imported into Calibre as metadata, so that it can be used in that template?

Thank you.
enn is offline   Reply With Quote