Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: May 2010 Mobile Read Book
The Mysterious Island by Jules Verne 35 44.30%
Little Dorrit by Charles Dickens 1 1.27%
The Surprising Adventures of Baron Munchausen by Rudolf Erich Raspe 4 5.06%
The Three Musketeers by Alexandre Dumas 5 6.33%
The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins 5 6.33%
Kim by Rudyard Kipling 10 12.66%
Brave New World by Aldous Huxley 8 10.13%
Robinson Crusoe by Daniel Defoe 1 1.27%
Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens 3 3.80%
Frankenstein, by Mary Shelley 5 6.33%
The Odyssey by Homer 2 2.53%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-30-2010, 03:03 PM   #91
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by beppe View Post
Change place, come over here in Italy. Politics is so much better!
Mr. Berlusconi certainly do provide a great deal of entertainment.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 03:43 PM   #92
beppe
Grand Sorcerer
beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, Ipod4, IPad2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
Mr. Berlusconi certainly do provide a great deal of entertainment.
Yuppeee!

Funny guy. Very powerful. In every sense. He divided Italy in two. One likes him, in different intensities from almost indifference to veneration. The other part hates his guts, from identifying him with evil down to almost indifference. The indifference part is quite small.

Literally, he entertains a lot of people as he owns: 3 of the 6 major TVs, a couple of daily papers with national distributions and the most important publishing house. This is for Italy. In this sector he owns also abroad.

He is funny. He is. We speak the same dialect so I understand quite well his gags, that, in spite of his well cultivated voice, have often a vernacular tint. A guy of the common people.

He and his friend, the founder of a very prestigious medical research establishment, are planning to reach 120 years. Knowing these 2 guys it is quite possible that they might. Worst came worst, I imagine that they could "convince" the old lady to turn the other side. One being very rich and the other a priest.

beppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 03:54 PM   #93
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by beppe View Post
Yuppeee!

Funny guy. Very powerful. In every sense. He divided Italy in two. One likes him, in different intensities from almost indifference to veneration. The other part hates his guts, from identifying him with evil down to almost indifference. The indifference part is quite small.

Literally, he entertains a lot of people as he owns: 3 of the 6 major TVs, a couple of daily papers with national distributions and the most important publishing house. This is for Italy. In this sector he owns also abroad.

He is funny. He is. We speak the same dialect so I understand quite well his gags, that, in spite of his well cultivated voice, have often a vernacular tint. A guy of the common people.

He and his friend, the founder of a very prestigious medical research establishment, are planning to reach 120 years. Knowing these 2 guys it is quite possible that they might. Worst came worst, I imagine that they could "convince" the old lady to turn the other side. One being very rich and the other a priest.

I have to admit that from the perspective here, and that goes for both left- and right-leaning papers, the general impression is; how did he manage to get so many votes (the second time round) and convince people that he is a serious politician who cares a lot for what he is doing to his country. It is unfortunately not quite the impression one gets from outside.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 06:26 PM   #94
beppe
Grand Sorcerer
beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, Ipod4, IPad2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
I have to admit that from the perspective here, and that goes for both left- and right-leaning papers, the general impression is; how did he manage to get so many votes (the second time round) and convince people that he is a serious politician who cares a lot for what he is doing to his country. It is unfortunately not quite the impression one gets from outside.
I am aware of the effect that you are talking about. The people that voted for him and his allies have the knowledge/feeling that his competitors are less serious and less caring than he is. The country is also split in two, a North-South divide. This is becoming more and more a very real issue.

Last edited by beppe; 04-30-2010 at 06:28 PM.
beppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 09:52 AM   #95
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
The Mysterious Island has always been my favorite Jules Verne novel ever since I first read it at 13.

I'm re-reading my hardback copy of Jordan Stump's 2001 translation rather than one of the Victorian translation on my e-reader. So if I refer to Captain Cyrus Smith and Harbert instead of Cyrus Harding and Herbert you'll know why.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 07:50 PM   #96
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Shoot. I read 'Mysterious Island' in Jr. High (and we don't even want to think about how long ago THAT was).

Was really hoping for a book I'd read more recently, such as 3M or Kim, as I'm about halfway through 'Nicholas Nickleby' and really don't want to put it down right now.

Heck, I just read 'Little Dorrit' a couple of months ago.

I do remember what the twist of MI was, but that's about all.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 03:56 PM   #97
thinkpad
David
thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, E.Edge (sold), Irex Iliad (retired)
Started reading Mysterious Island (my Kindle states I'm 15% through and what a long 15% its been) this is certainly not going to be one of my favourites. I find it slow going at best. There are lengthy explanations on every other page and the story doesn't really seem to go forward. I usually don't read several books at once but I find I can only take a small dose of "Mysterious Island" at the time so I'm alternating.
thinkpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 04:06 PM   #98
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkpadx View Post
Started reading Mysterious Island (my Kindle states I'm 15% through and what a long 15% its been) this is certainly not going to be one of my favourites. I find it slow going at best. There are lengthy explanations on every other page and the story doesn't really seem to go forward. I usually don't read several books at once but I find I can only take a small dose of "Mysterious Island" at the time so I'm alternating.
Hmm... I find it interesting... I'm on about chapter 9-10 or so. Not sure what percentage that is. But already a mystery has been introduced.

Spoiler:
So far it has been mostly about the island, the lay of the land, how they are surviving, name parts of the island, etc.

Not really a spoiler... since I am only 10 chapters in.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 04:46 PM   #99
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
I just started part II. The first part ended with an interesting new development, but since this isn't the discussion thread, I don't want to throw in any spoilers.

Although on a different note, I will say that if these were the Gilligan's Island castaways, it's not difficult to see which one Cyrus Harding would be!
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 05:36 PM   #100
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Although on a different note, I will say that if these were the Gilligan's Island castaways, it's not difficult to see which one Cyrus Harding would be!
The Movie Star???

BOb

PS: Just a little prediscussion discussion.
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 05:52 PM   #101
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
The Movie Star???

BOb

PS: Just a little prediscussion discussion.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 02:23 AM   #102
lila55
Fanatic
lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360° , iPhone 5, PRS-650, Sony PRS-T2, Sony PRS-T3, Tolino
For me it is the first Jules Verne book, I always had the feeling he is too much "adventure" for me and that I would not like his writings. But I have to say (I am now roughly halfway through the book) that I really enjoy it, and can't wait for the evening to come so that I can continue the story.
lila55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 06:39 AM   #103
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
It quite fun, although there are one or two outdated notions in it.

There's one I was dubious about, that turns out to be right, having checked.
Spoiler:
Although water does absorb far infrared, it doesn't do so enough to prevent a fire being started by focusing the sun through a water lens. E.g. http://www.wildwoodsurvival.com/surv...ter/index.html
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 09:24 PM   #104
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
I didn't realize how long it was In LRF at medium font it's 1,200 pages! That's double than what I normally read.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 10:50 PM   #105
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
This is my first Jules Verne novel, and I actually just finished it earlier today. I must add my initial opinion; I did find Part 1 rather slow in the scheme of things, but I kept at it and all through Part 2 and Part 3 the story was damn enjoyable.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote