Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > EPUBReader

Notices

Old 03-23-2010, 06:57 AM   #1
mikelv
Developer of EPUBReader
mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: none
New version 1.2.8.0. available

The new version is now available at the Mozilla website: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/45281

Here is what I changed:

Changes
  • EPUBReader is now available in five additional languages: Finnish, Swedish, Esperanto, Hungarian and Danish.
  • Now it's possible to export ePub-files from the private library or import them into the private library. Click on the circle at the top of the private library.
  • Now it's possible to keep your private library in sync with the content of a defined directory. Combined with a sync tool like Dropbox, you can easily read your ePub-files on different computers. Click on the circle at the top of the private library.
  • The content of the private library can now be sorted by clicking on the headers.
  • In the private library is now the date displayed at which the ePub-file was added.
  • The font of the table of contents can now be changed.

Bugfixes
  • Font-face, font-color and background-color which are defined in an ePub-file are now displayed correctly.

As always, please let me know if you experience any problems and for the case you like the new features, I'm also very happy to hear from you .

Last edited by mikelv; 04-05-2010 at 05:15 AM.
mikelv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 09:28 AM   #2
paulpeer
Zealot
paulpeer is on a distinguished road

Device: iPhone, Sony PRS-505, EPUBreader
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelv View Post
[*]The content of the private library can now be sorted by clicking on the headers.
Thanks for the new update! But sorting of authors is now on the first name instead of the main name. This looks a bit strange.

E.g. in this case in the content.opf
Code:
 <dc:creator opf:role="aut" opf:file-as="Dumas, Alexandre">Alexandre Dumas</dc:creator>
sorting should consider the file-as element.
paulpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 09:51 AM   #3
mikelv
Developer of EPUBReader
mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulpeer View Post
Thanks for the new update! But sorting of authors is now on the first name instead of the main name. This looks a bit strange.

E.g. in this case in the content.opf
Code:
 <dc:creator opf:role="aut" opf:file-as="Dumas, Alexandre">Alexandre Dumas</dc:creator>
sorting should consider the file-as element.
Hi Paul,

thanks for your feedback!

"opf:file-as" is optional and there is no guarantee, that you find here the name as "main name, first name". Nevertheless, in many files this will be the case.

I'll change it that way, that the value of "opf:file-as" is taken, when it exists. I've put it on the change list.

Regards,
Michael
Old 03-23-2010, 09:55 AM   #4
Laisvunas
Enthusiast
Laisvunas began at the beginning.

Font changer does not find most common type faces

Hi Michael,

Huge thanks for the new version.

I found one problem though. Both the font changers for the Content and for the Table of Contents do not find some most common font faces. For example, I do not see such fonts as Arial, Arial Unicode MS and Palatino Linotype.

It seems that this problem is new to the version 1.2.8.

I use EPUBReader on Windows 7 system with Firefox 3.6 installed.

Last edited by Laisvunas; 03-23-2010 at 10:03 AM.
Laisvunas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 10:07 AM   #5
paulpeer
Zealot
paulpeer is on a distinguished road

Device: iPhone, Sony PRS-505, EPUBreader
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelv View Post
I'll change it that way, that the value of "opf:file-as" is taken, when it exists. I've put it on the change list.
Danke schön! It surely will look more professional this way!
paulpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 10:10 AM   #6
mikelv
Developer of EPUBReader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laisvunas View Post
Hi Michael,

Huge thanks for the new version.

I found one problem though. Both the font changers for the Content and for the Table of Contents do not find some most common font faces. For example, I do not see such fonts as Arial, Arial Unicode MS and Palatino Linotype.

It seems that this problem is new to the version 1.2.8.

I use EPUBReader on Windows 7 system with Firefox 3.6 installed.
Hi Laisvunas,

thanks for your feedback!

I didn't change the code which selects the available fonts, so I guess it's probably a problem of the FF version you use.

Could you please compare the font list of EPUBReader with the list of FF itself? Both lists should show the same fonts (except some special fonts which begin with "WST"). You find the FF list when you go to the FF menu "Tools/Preferences", "Content" tab.

Regards,
Michael
Old 03-23-2010, 10:31 AM   #7
Laisvunas
Enthusiast

Font changer issue

Hi Michael,

The FF font list and EPUBReader's font list are identical.

It seems that there is a difference between FF version 3.6 and FF version 3.6.2.
FF 3.6 displays a list of fonts without Arial, Arial Unicode MS and Palatino Linotype. FF 3.6.2 displays a list split into alphabetically ordered 2 parts, and in the first part of the list Palatino Linotype is present, in the second part of the list Arial and Arial Unicode MS is present.

So, the list of fonts in the version 3.6.2 does not lack any font. It is only strange that the list is split into 2 alphabetically ordered parts. It is confusing and I do not find any principle according to which some fonts are put into first part of the list and other fonts - into second part.

Feature suggestion: Perhaps, Epubreader can read the font list from Firefox and reorder available fonts into single alphabetically ordered list?

Another suggestion: it would be nice if EPUBReader displayed an icon in tabs.

Last edited by Laisvunas; 03-23-2010 at 10:37 AM.
Old 03-23-2010, 12:08 PM   #8
mikelv
Developer of EPUBReader

Quote:
Feature suggestion: Perhaps, Epubreader can read the font list from Firefox and reorder available fonts into single alphabetically ordered list?
The logic behind the two seperat lists is, that one shows the serif-fonts, the other the sans-serif-fonts.
As I'm not a font expert, I just made it exactly like FF does it itself and I hope that the FF guys know what they are doing . As I don't know if it can cause problems if I try to mix both lists, I leave it like it is.

Quote:
Another suggestion: it would be nice if EPUBReader displayed an icon in tabs.
Yes, you are right, this would look nicer. I already tried it a while ago, but there seems to be a FF bug. When I add an icon to an XUL page, the page doesn't open any longer. The only page where I could add an icon, would be the new synchronize-page because this is not a XUL page. But as I prefer, that all pages look consistently, I didn't add it to this page.
Old 03-23-2010, 12:35 PM   #9
Laisvunas
Enthusiast

Icon in tabs

It seems that setting of the icon is still possible despite the bug you mentioned.

There is Firefox extension HashColouredTabs+ which sets an icon for any site which does not have its own icon. This extension also woks for the tabs which belong to extensions; it also sets an icon for EPUBReader's tabs.
Old 03-23-2010, 12:38 PM   #10
mikelv
Developer of EPUBReader

Quote:
It seems that setting of the icon is still possible despite the bug you mentioned.

There is Firefox extension HashColouredTabs+ which sets an icon for any site which does not have its own icon. This extension also woks for the tabs which belong to extensions; it also sets an icon for EPUBReader's tabs.
Okay, thanks. I'll check how they are doing this.
Old 03-29-2010, 03:27 AM   #11
Laisvunas
Enthusiast

ePub-Catalog link in bookmarks menu: is it really needed?

Hi,

EPUBReader creates two links to Catalogue page - one in Bookmarks menu (without icon) and other - in Tools menu (with icon).

Just noticed that it is impossible to delete the link in Bookmarks menu - when FF starts EPUBReader checks if the link is present, and if it is not, then the link is created.

It seems to me that such functionality is counterintuitive and unnecessary:

1) the user expects that it is possible to delete the link in bookmarks list,

2) the links are visually different (one with icon, another without icon),

3) it is enaugh to have the link in Tools menu - most extensions create their links there.

So, I think that it would be better if the link to ePub Catalogue in Bookmarks menu either were removed or it were possible to delete it.
Old 03-29-2010, 01:22 PM   #12
mikelv
Developer of EPUBReader

Quote:
So, I think that it would be better if the link to ePub Catalogue in Bookmarks menu either were removed or it were possible to delete it.
Hi Laisvunas,

you are right. I'll change it that way, that the bookmark can be deleted. I put it on the change list.

Michael
Old 03-29-2010, 09:01 PM   #13
darkmonk
Connoisseur
darkmonk began at the beginning.

Well, Laisvunas, I do understand why you think that is enough, and personally I dislike having the bookmark also, but I wouldn't mind a button on he location bar. Would go nicely alongside the home button. I'd also like to request a feature; I want to add my own feeds that can be browsed like feedbooks. Or, If I somehow missed how to, please just say it can, and I'm sure I'll find it.
darkmonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 10:24 AM   #14
mikelv
Developer of EPUBReader

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkmonk View Post
Well, Laisvunas, I do understand why you think that is enough, and personally I dislike having the bookmark also, but I wouldn't mind a button on he location bar. Would go nicely alongside the home button.
I already thought about adding a button to the location bar, but I can imagine that this could be to intrusive for many people. Perhaps it would be a good idea to make this optional. I put it on the change list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkmonk View Post
I'd also like to request a feature; I want to add my own feeds that can be browsed like feedbooks. Or, If I somehow missed how to, please just say it can, and I'm sure I'll find it.
The only feed you can add yourself in the moment is the Calibre2Opds feed. You can enter the url in the "miscellaneous" tab of the preferences.

Although Opds is a standard (but a very new one), all sites implement it slightly different. So it's necessary to test it first and make probably some minor adjustments before it works without problems in EPUBReader. That's the main reason why you can't add new feeds yourself.

Which feeds do you miss?