Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 07-07-2017, 05:53 PM   #16
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmirko View Post
Optoabhi, you heard the man - you must get an ipad. Forget my arguments above
I think it is all due to in the USA most think all tablets are called iPads and all cellular phones are called iPhones (and all E Ink readers are called Kindles), that regardless of the device's actual heritage .

So it is impossible to know what they are actually recommending .
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 05:26 PM   #17
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherCat View Post
I think it is all due to in the USA most think all tablets are called iPads and all cellular phones are called iPhones (and all E Ink readers are called Kindles), that regardless of the device's actual heritage .

I said iPad because I mean an Apple iPad. I don't say Kindle when I mean Kobo. I don't say iPhone when I mean Samsung.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 05:42 PM   #18
kkakosim
kkakosim began at the beginning.

Device: MS Surface Pro 4; Android; iPad; Kindle Paperwhite; Onyx N96ML
for similar reasons...
I first got a Kindle Paperwhite because of its reasonable price and to try it out. I do use it a lot but eventually for normal books and not for papers/textbooks. Its size and aspect ratio are a significant constraint for most textbooks and papers.

I do have an iPAD and MS Pro 4, both have many more options for pdf, especially MS Pro 4. But again I was not satisfied to use them for long reading as per my above preference. The first because, although fancy and with good battery, keeping notes is not good enough neither syncs well with my Windows Desktop/Laptop. The second, has all options that I deem "necessary" except for a really good battery and comfortable screen and weight for long hours/days reading. At this point I would like to say that since MS Pro 4/Onenote, I completely migrated all my handwriting there including textbooks that I use on a daily basis.

So, currently I am trying Onyx N96ML. It is not an iPAD nor a laptop, although not cheap. Moving from them to an eInk, it feels like using an i386; it responds extremely slow. But when I remember that this is not for fast changing apps and browsing from time to time, I do feel satisfied from its responsive. However, annotations/scribbling are not ideal and I have n't found yet its optimum configurations but I do enjoy the ever lasting battery and comfortable screen. Among the other disadvantages the fact that this is an Android and just v4.4, which means that not everything runs smoothly and you could end up loosing notes/annotations if you don't have the habit to back up. On the other hand, running an open OS gives access to any kind of application and functionalities.

Verdict, for now, world is not perfect.
Judging from the available Hardware and Software I most probably belong to a minority type of readers or I have not been efficient enough to find the correct combination.
kkakosim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 06:01 PM   #19
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
[QUOTE=kkakosim;3550711I do have an iPAD and MS Pro 4, both have many more options for pdf, especially MS Pro 4. But again I was not satisfied to use them for long reading as per my above preference. The first because, although fancy and with good battery, keeping notes is not good enough neither syncs well with my Windows Desktop/Laptop. The second, has all options that I deem "necessary" except for a really good battery and comfortable screen and weight for long hours/days reading. At this point I would like to say that since MS Pro 4/Onenote, I completely migrated all my handwriting there including textbooks that I use on a daily basis.[/quote]

Since you have an iPad, THE APP for handling PDF is Goodreader. It's just that good that if you don't have an iPad, you don't have anything decent for handling PDF.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 07:47 PM   #20
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherCat View Post

Where are you getting this information?
I am in the US and I have never heard that all tablets are iPads or all smartphones are iphones. Typically, we ask do you want an iphone/iPad or an Android.
I have dang sure never heard anyone at MR refer to a Tab A or Chrome book or Surface as an ipad.

Now that is possible at some other sites since some people couldn't pour water out of a boot with the instructions written on the heel.

But here, we try to be specific.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 11:19 PM   #21
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Where are you getting this information?
I am in the US and I have never heard that all tablets are iPads or all smartphones are iphones. Typically, we ask do you want an iphone/iPad or an Android.
I have dang sure never heard anyone at MR refer to a Tab A or Chrome book or Surface as an ipad.

Now that is possible at some other sites since some people couldn't pour water out of a boot with the instructions written on the heel.

But here, we try to be specific.
You missed my wink :-) It was specifically added
Old 07-10-2017, 11:23 PM   #22
AnotherCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I said iPad because I mean an Apple iPad. I don't say Kindle when I mean Kobo. I don't say iPhone when I mean Samsung.
iSaid iPad because iMean an Apple iPad. iDon't say Kindle when iMean Kobo. iDon't say iPhone when iMean Samsung.

Microsoft Edge's translator put your post into AppleTalk for me . Sorry, it confused me.

Tags
digital paper, e-reader, stylus